• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Melo wants a ring, he'll come to the Atlanta Hawks

QuantumHawkz

• Moderators

Well Lala is from the ATL - maybe she decides she wants to come homecrazy.gif

Well, we can dream!

Seriously, if reports started coming out from respectable sources that Melo was thinking about Atlanta because Lala wanted to come home then I could put it in the same category as last year's speculation. Until then, we might as well dream about Lebron if we are going to dream.

I would give him a 2yr/$20m deal with a player option for the 3rd. Its about 4 or 5 million less than Lebron but it gives him the opportunity to win a Championship.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mjl.gif

Melo is turning 30 in 6 days - he will laugh DF out the room for offering him a 2 year deal.

The Hawks still have to clear salary to offer him $20mil/per

• Moderators

I would give him a 2yr/$20m deal with a player option for the 3rd. Its about 4 or 5 million less than Lebron but it gives him the opportunity to win a Championship.

If he is taking that, why wouldn't he go join some other team? The Suns could sign him for that amount and then still have $8M available to flesh out the roster with FAs and all those draft picks.

Edited by AHF

I have to agree with most of the other posters here; that this is wishful thinking at best and bad comedy at worst.

But I've stated previously that if there is any waffling between him and the Knicks, Ferry and Co. would be wise to at least try to have a conversation with him. Sell him the dream and see if he bites. If he doesn't, simply move on. But if he does....

And I don't know how much cap space they have but if they're in the neighborhood, you have to give it a shot. If it costs them trading Lou for $$$ or a future pick to squeeze enough space to fit his contract in (and no kidding, he'll have to take a paycut), it's simple; YOU DO IT. How many years have this team gone with a star player in the lineup; since Nique was tomahawk dunking in the old Omni?

Adding him and a healthy Al Horford instantly makes a Hawks a contender in the East. This team scared Indy WITHOUT either of those guys and the rest of the conference minus the Lebrons aren't exactly world beaters. With him here, it puts the stamp on what Ferry is doing to change the reputation of this franchise. From a team that's giddy for playoff appearance and first-round knockouts to a team that finally takes winning seriously. Think that wouldn't have an effect in the ticket office or when the national TV folks choose which teams they want on their schedules?

But alas, I'm not banking on this to happen either. I'd do cartwheels and somasaults if it does but I have my doubts....lots of them...

• Like 3

Pretty sure she's from NY although she did used to be on the radio here. IIRC she worked under Ludacris back in the day.

Maybe she sees ATL as a 2nd home? Hey, I'm grasping at straws here.

you sir are correct...lol.

mjl.gif

Melo is turning 30 in 6 days - he will laugh DF out the room for offering him a 2 year deal.

The Hawks still have to clear salary to offer him $20mil/per

If he wants to win he will be taking a paycut anyway. You can't get the big contract and expect to win a championship. Look at what Sap and Korver took. If you want to give him more, then clear the extra cap. But if he wants to win, we are his best destination. Phoenix will never sniff a championship.

Pretty sure she's from NY although she did used to be on the radio here. IIRC she worked under Ludacris back in the day.

Maybe she sees ATL as a 2nd home? Hey, I'm grasping at straws here.

She went to Redan High School.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I just feel like we have about the same chance of getting Melo as the other teams do. I mean if he stays in NY fine, but the Knicks is going to rebuild and I know Melo isn't about to wait. CHI is no way a good fit for him,Rose hasn't played in 2 years. LA is in the hard west, he's not going back. That's why I think Melo may consider the Hawks...................plus I see some on here talk about cap, trust me if Melo wants to come here Ferry will make it happen. Remember, the ASG told him they would pay the luxury tax if they have to.

I just feel like we have about the same chance of getting Melo as the other teams do. I mean if he stays in NY fine, but the Knicks is going to rebuild and I know Melo isn't about to wait. CHI is no way a good fit for him,Rose hasn't played in 2 years. LA is in the hard west, he's not going back. That's why I think Melo may consider the Hawks...................plus I see some on here talk about cap, trust me if Melo wants to come here Ferry will make it happen. Remember, the ASG told him they would pay the luxury tax if they have to.

We have a better chance of getting Philips Arena re-named Mello Yellow Arena ... than actually getting Carmelo.

Having said that, Melo can definitely play in Bud's system.

If he wants to win he will be taking a paycut anyway. You can't get the big contract and expect to win a championship. Look at what Sap and Korver took. If you want to give him more, then clear the extra cap. But if he wants to win, we are his best destination. Phoenix will never sniff a championship.

She went to Redan High School.

lol but 10m won't even get him listening to ferry and bud trying to sell him the dream. I would say a paycut for a star like melo would be 16m...now that's more like it and will atleast get him to listen.....3 year 48mil deal with a player option on the final year.

Really unlikely, obviously, but the only team that might get him that has at least a comparable situation to us is Chicago. Chicago would have to shed a lot of salary (Boozer, among others), Melo would have to bank on Rose coming back, and then it's pretty much him and Rose on offense.

I read somewhere that the salary cap may jump up to about $62M next year. I'm not a capologist so I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, all we have to do is shed Lou, stash a Euro overseas and convince Melo to sign for like $17M. If the cap isn't jumping that much we'd have to cut Pero and dump Jenkins/Caroll. It's possible, but completely unlikely.

P.S. If by some miracle Melo were to come here, he's obviously serious about winning and I'm sure would buy into the system. He'd fit in and more or less fix our two biggest problems (#1 option and rebounding).

Really unlikely, obviously, but the only team that might get him that has at least a comparable situation to us is Chicago. Chicago would have to shed a lot of salary (Boozer, among others), Melo would have to bank on Rose coming back, and then it's pretty much him and Rose on offense.

I read somewhere that the salary cap may jump up to about $62M next year. I'm not a capologist so I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, all we have to do is shed Lou, stash a Euro overseas and convince Melo to sign for like $17M. If the cap isn't jumping that much we'd have to cut Pero and dump Jenkins/Caroll. It's possible, but completely unlikely.

P.S. If by some miracle Melo were to come here, he's obviously serious about winning and I'm sure would buy into the system. He'd fit in and more or less fix our two biggest problems (#1 option and rebounding).

Agreed he would buy into the system. More than likely he solves the number 1 option needed, as far as rebounds go I'm going to say it once more....rebounding is a TEAM effort not just one individual like asik or someone a TEAM effort like the pacers