• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Melo wants a ring, he'll come to the Atlanta Hawks

QuantumHawkz

Team USA Melo bought into the system on offense and defense. Can he do that for an entire season? Will he be willing to sacrifice his individual game for the team? If he wants to WIN he has to - it's what he will have to do regardless of the team he chooses as he will be playing with better talent.

I would definitely not turn him away if he wants to take a pay cut to come to the Hawks because that would mean he likes what DF and Bud sold him on, which means his game will change.

Sometimes these stars need a foot up their *** and allow themselves to be coached.

In Bud's system he will still get his touches - just better ones because of the players around him.

I agree but like I said his numbers and shooting attempts will drop in this system but that's a good thing cause like you said no matter where he goes he will have to sacrafice his individual stats if he wants to win a championship!

Wade and lebron did it....it's just something you have to do to compete for a ring in the nba league.

And did we not see Ellis have the best year of his career when he played in the mavs system?! I'm telling you guys nba players can change with good coaching staffs. Bud wouldn't be afraid to tell melo what's up, when he's playing bad if he was on this team.

Trust me I wouldn't be for iso melo if ferry didn't have this coaching staff in place but since we have what I think is a great coaching staff I believe they can change melo to fit into coach buds system. Also I think melo can play defense if he tries, he proved that in the WCF vs the lakers that year.....it's all about a coach getting everything they can out of melo and I just believe coach bud can do that.

Man can you imagine how good Teague would be with melo on the team! Paul George would have had to stay on melo the whole series leaving hill guarding Teague!...Teague would have looked like a MVP!

Anyways I think coach bud can fit melo in with this team the biggest adjustment would be that melo shot attempts will HAVE to take a dive but that's a good thing.

I did not want Ellis for the same reason that some don't want Melo - but with Ellis we have seen what can happen to a player's game once surrounded by quality players and a coaching staff and is not expected to carry the load. Put them in areas where you maximize their strengths and limits the weaknesses.

• Premium Member

Team USA Melo bought into the system on offense and defense. Can he do that for an entire season? Will he be willing to sacrifice his individual game for the team? If he wants to WIN he has to - it's what he will have to do regardless of the team he chooses as he will be playing with better talent.

I would definitely not turn him away if he wants to take a pay cut to come to the Hawks because that would mean he likes what DF and Bud sold him on, which means his game will change.

Sometimes these stars need a foot up their *** and allow themselves to be coached.

In Bud's system he will still get his touches - just better ones because of the players around him.

Woody's iso-ball didnt help Melo or the team any. If Melo buys in to our philosophy of team ball good passing and taking open shots off the good ball movement he could easily average 20 with a high FG%. He also did a good job rebounding last year i believe. He could help in that department and move DMC to the 2 where he could rebound better as well.

He could buy into system and take a pay cut .

Lol no matter where he goes he has to change with a more talented roster around him. I'm more worried that he won't take a major paycut but if he takes a partial paycut because he really wants to be in Atlanta I do think the ASG/Ferry will agree to go into the lux or whatever to sign him.

A dream scenario would be:

Pg-Teague

Sg-#15 draft pick (defense minded, we can work on the offense as the season goes)

Sf-Melo

Pf-Sap

C-Horford

Bench

Pg-Mack or Dennis

Sg-Korver

Sf-DMC

Pf-Scott

C-Antić

Bebe, Muscala, add 3 point shooter (Jodie Meeks), add defender (Xavier Henry)

That's a championship team on good contracts! I think horford and sap would come back on good contracts as well the next off season! They aren't going to leave a contending championship team if this were to happen.

(Just dreaming a bit...a player like melo changes a lot of things)

• Premium Member

I've said it many times before that we a re ONE player away. Melo could be that player if he's honest with himself. Spend your career in a 'major' market and get criticized when you don't win, or come to the ATL where you are the missing piece to a championsip caliber team.

For Melo to work with us he would have to accept a role like Kawhi Leonard of the spurs would he do that?

I disagree - Kawhi is emerging - he is still behind TP/TD and Manu in the pecking order. Melo will still be top dog for the most part.

• Premium Member

For Melo to work with us he would have to accept a role like Kawhi Leonard of the spurs would he do that?

This aint the Spurs and Carmelo aint Kawhi. There is absolutely no way you make Carmelo the third or fourth option on offense.

• Like 3

Please guys just stop. Melo isn't taking a huge pay-cut to come to Atlanta and we shouldn't even remotely consider giving up assets to acquire him in a SnT. I love Melo as much as anyone but he IS NOT a good fit for this team. I've been watching the kid since his 1st game at Syracuse and he's just not the type to fit into a ball movement offense like ours. It would be like adding JJ to this team except even worse and we all know how he wouldn't fit into Bud's system. And don't give me this stuff about how he'd change his game under Bud and Bud would control him because it's not happening. He needs freedom in his game to do what he does and to take the shots that he needs and that's not happening here.

[/thread]

• Premium Member

This aint the Spurs and Carmelo aint Kawhi. There is absolutely no way you make Carmelo the third or fourth option on offense.

My bad, that sounded stupid so what would be pecking order in the fantasy lineup? Melo/Al/Jeff/Sap?

• Premium Member

Please guys just stop. Melo isn't taking a huge pay-cut to come to Atlanta and we shouldn't even remotely consider giving up assets to acquire him in a SnT. I love Melo as much as anyone but he IS NOT a good fit for this team. I've been watching the kid since his 1st game at Syracuse and he's just not the type to fit into a ball movement offense like ours. It would be like adding JJ to this team except even worse and we all know how he wouldn't fit into Bud's system. And don't give me this stuff about how he'd change his game under Bud and Bud would control him because it's not happening. He needs freedom in his game to do what he does and to take the shots that he needs and that's not happening here.

[/thread]

Dolf, you may be forgetting just how good of a player Melo was before he was asked to be exclusively an iso type player.

• Like 1

Dolf, you may be forgetting just how good of a player Melo was before he was asked to be exclusively an iso type player.

I'm not forgetting. He was an ISO player in college. He's always been an ISO player in the NBA. That's just who he is. Even in high school he took a ton of shots and that was before he'd really even developed into a good player because he wasn't expected to be a stud as a freshman. There's absolutely zero percent interest in me in having Carmelo on THIS team and that should tell you guys something if his biggest fan here doesn't want him on this team.

Y'all kill Melo, but think Paul PIerce is so great. Paul Pierce was Melo before KG and Shuttlesworth arrived.

Who has ever claimed Pierce to be great? He's been nothing but a half-step above Joe most his career. And keep in mind that the Celtics worked because they added two better players to him. Are Sap/Jeffrey and Al better than Melo to get him to buy in? He's had plenty of teams where he's had a ton of help from secondary players but they all failed because he was the leader. This is why you hear Chicago and Houston mentioned, Dwight/Harden and Rose may be the only type of players that would force him out of his iso ways.

Who has ever claimed Pierce to be great? He's been nothing but a half-step above Joe most his career. And keep in mind that the Celtics worked because they added two better players to him. Are Sap/Jeffrey and Al better than Melo to get him to buy in? He's had plenty of teams where he's had a ton of help from secondary players but they all failed because he was the leader. This is why you hear Chicago and Houston mentioned, Dwight/Harden and Rose may be the only type of players that would force him out of his iso ways.

People throw out Pierce as the Celtics Superstar to build towards those championships. Melo is just as good as Pierce. Melo is as good as Ray Allen. Don't forget he was Bucks then Seattle and not very accomplished team wise. If we bring him here we can then flip Milsap or Teague for or both to get the 3rd guy. I think Al and Melo plus the likes of Kyrie Irving(not saying Kyrie. He has to stay healthy) gives a great chance. Or maybe Melo raises Al, Milsap, and Teagues game? Who knows. I just think people are too hard on Melo.

• Like 2

I'm not forgetting. He was an ISO player in college. He's always been an ISO player in the NBA. That's just who he is. Even in high school he took a ton of shots and that was before he'd really even developed into a good player because he wasn't expected to be a stud as a freshman. There's absolutely zero percent interest in me in having Carmelo on THIS team and that should tell you guys something if his biggest fan here doesn't want him on this team.

I disagree. Iso-ball in my opinion is rarely conducive to winning basketball. The teams that are winning today are moving the ball and that's something Carmelo has to see. If he's played in iso-heavy offenses and won nothing in the NBA, perhaps it's time to reevaluate what's isn't working for him.
  • Like 1

I disagree. Iso-ball in my opinion is rarely conducive to winning basketball. The teams that are winning today are moving the ball and that's something Carmelo has to see. If he's played in iso-heavy offenses and won nothing in the NBA, perhaps it's time to reevaluate what's isn't working for him.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? I also feel that way. I guess you are thinking that Melo will somehow change his game at this point in his life? Unfortunately he's a Hippopotamus and I believe he's accepted that and wants to live life happy, happy as a Hippo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-BfydNfews

People throw out Pierce as the Celtics Superstar to build towards those championships. Melo is just as good as Pierce. Melo is as good as Ray Allen. Don't forget he was Bucks then Seattle and not very accomplished team wise. If we bring him here we can then flip Milsap or Teague for or both to get the 3rd guy. I think Al and Melo plus the likes of Kyrie Irving(not saying Kyrie. He has to stay healthy) gives a great chance. Or maybe Melo raises Al, Milsap, and Teagues game? Who knows. I just think people are too hard on Melo.

You're confusing arguments, the only people who have ever come close to mentioning Pierce as a "superstar" are tankers. They use him as an example of the "lottery drafted player that attracts other stars" when Ray had no choice about going to Boston and KG only agreed to Boston after Ray was traded there, Pierce was chump change in that scenario. They use him earning Finals MVP as some sort of evidence but that's an iffy award that goes to anyone who scored a decent amount of points as clearly KG was the MVP of that team just like Wallace when Chauncey won and Duncan when Parker won.

The point I'm making is that Pierce was less accomplished than both KG and Allen. Melo is definitely better than Pierce and Allen but you bring him to Atlanta then you better have a better player in tow. It's very unlikely that Sap can accomplish that with either presence or trade and is also unlikely that Melo will raise the games of others around him given that we have oh about 10 years worth of evidence suggesting otherwise.