• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would Cavs want Horford or more?

The Hawks would be fully committed to rebuilding from the ground up if they made this move. Korver, Sap, Teague, and (maybe) Carroll would be traded for expiring contracts and first round picks.

I just don't think this is Ferry's M.O. at the moment, so I don't see it happening, however intriguing.

The Hawks would be fully committed to rebuilding from the ground up if they made this move. Korver, Sap, Teague, and (maybe) Carroll would be traded for expiring contracts and first round picks.

I just don't think this is Ferry's M.O. at the moment, so I don't see it happening, however intriguing.

We made the playoffs without Horford last season. Add Wiggins, Embid, or Parker and a free agent to the mix; and I see no reason whatsoever why the playoffs would not be in our future this coming season.

Clevelands dilemma in this draft:

They have too many Power Forward only types.

They want to make the playoffs.

Parker is the most NBA ready according to most sites.

Parker is projected to eventually be a Power Forward.

Parker will never be able to play center.

I think the Cavs are crazy if they don't take Wiggins or Embiid; but most people thought them crazy for taking Bennett last season. If they see this as Parker vs Horford, they pull the trigger; as Al can play center at a high level. If they like Wiggins or Embiid, they don't trade with us.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

I'd definitely have to pull the trigger as well on the Horford for the 1st pick dream scenario. However making the pick would scare me to death. The Hawks already have enough bust picks from the past and despite this year's so called awesome draft, there might be some serious busts.

Imagine us picking Embiid over the other sand he somehow turns to Oden or Bynum and is always injured.

Or we pick Wiggins and he is the mechanical, predictable bust like Marvin.

Or even Parker and he is the Carmelo poor man with the ball hogging DNA.

This sounds crazy but I'd almost want like Exum, Vonleh or Smart. I know we wouldn't draft them at the 1 spot but if we could get into the 4-6 spot it would make me feel a whole lot better.

Only thing is I wouldn't want to trade Horford within our division to Orlando as he would murder us 4 times a year.

Also wouldn't want Horford to the Celtics due to our history with Boston. I still don't understand how we gave up Bill Russell in 1956. I just don't.

That leaves the Utah Jazz pick at #5. Which probably means Exum gone at that point as well. Leaving us to choose from Vonleh and Smart.

Sounds silly but I'd be more comfortable choosing between Vonleh and Smart while striking a deal with the Utah Jazz for the 5th overall pick than any other scenario. Not sure what that would cost. I'm guessing still Horford. However Utah is stacked with big guys like Favors and Kanter, not sure where Horford would fit.

• Premium Member

I like Wiggins, but am very impressed with Parker and Embiid. I would trade Al to get one of those two. But, that won't happen as the Hawks aren't moving anybody from their core for a draft pick.

Edited by Jody23

We made the playoffs without Horford last season. Add Wiggins, Embid, or Parker and a free agent to the mix; and I see no reason whatsoever why the playoffs would not be in our future this coming season.

I'm not so sure that the Hawks would have made the playoffs if Horford been out for the entire season.

Cleveland would be better with Horf and contend for the 7th or 8th spot. I'd like to think that NY will find some way to improve as well. Both could knock the Hawks out of playoff contention.

• Premium Member

Given that if you're the Cavs you only control Horford for two years, I don't think Horford is enough to get it done.

I think he does. The Cavs becomes a great place for a guy like Lebron with Horf in the frontcourt.

It would more than make up for their 1st pick of the draft whiff (Bennett).

Not only do they only control him for two years, but they'd be giving up the #1 for a guy who's season ended prematurely in 2 of the last 3 seasons... this is a franchise that just has to be kinda hypersensitive to big men who have season-ending injuries in the first place (see Varejao).

I love the optimism, but again, I don't see it.

• Premium Member

I agree with you, but it's an interesting discussion. What if Horford keeps complaining about playing C? What if he makes it clear he's not re-signing after his current deal? What if they feel he won't stay healthy?

It's definitely a legit discussion as I think there's a real possibility Al walks in a couple of years partly as a result of some of the issues you mentioned. I've not been a fan of the "build from the middle" approach. I'd like to see them take a chance like this to try to get a franchise player. But, that's not the type of move I see them making.

I'd definitely have to pull the trigger as well on the Horford for the 1st pick dream scenario. However making the pick would scare me to death. The Hawks already have enough bust picks from the past and despite this year's so called awesome draft, there might be some serious busts.

Imagine us picking Embiid over the other sand he somehow turns to Oden or Bynum and is always injured.

Or we pick Wiggins and he is the mechanical, predictable bust like Marvin.

Or even Parker and he is the Carmelo poor man with the ball hogging DNA.

This sounds crazy but I'd almost want like Exum, Vonleh or Smart. I know we wouldn't draft them at the 1 spot but if we could get into the 4-6 spot it would make me feel a whole lot better.

Only thing is I wouldn't want to trade Horford within our division to Orlando as he would murder us 4 times a year.

Also wouldn't want Horford to the Celtics due to our history with Boston. I still don't understand how we gave up Bill Russell in 1956. I just don't.

That leaves the Utah Jazz pick at #5. Which probably means Exum gone at that point as well. Leaving us to choose from Vonleh and Smart.

Sounds silly but I'd be more comfortable choosing between Vonleh and Smart while striking a deal with the Utah Jazz for the 5th overall pick than any other scenario. Not sure what that would cost. I'm guessing still Horford. However Utah is stacked with big guys like Favors and Kanter, not sure where Horford would fit.

Yeah man you're not the only one that's scared to move horford but if ferry and bud are able to and they feel it's the best move I'm behind it....still scares me! I would hate for that top pick to be a bust but I trust coach buds coach developing.

Keep Horford and draft LaVine or Young. Bring over Bebe. We'll finish 3rd in the east and make a deep run into the playoffs. We had Indy, and we could push Miami with this talent. Who knows what Miami turns into if they win and LBJ opts out anyway.

I would also kick the tires on folks like Rudy Gay and Greg Monroe. If the money makes sense, I'd bring ONE of them in. I know that the board thinks that they'd be too expensive, but look at what Sap signed for last year. You never know.

BTW, I really want us to take LaVine. All he needs is coaching to be great. He is the prototypical height-weight-speed guy. I think Bud could make him a monster.

I agree man. He has a new interview on draftexpress. This kid exudes confidence and believes he will be an allstar in the future. We need to come away with some star potential in this draft.

I'm not so sure that the Hawks would have made the playoffs if Horford been out for the entire season.

Cleveland would be better with Horf and contend for the 7th or 8th spot. I'd like to think that NY will find some way to improve as well. Both could knock the Hawks out of playoff contention.

Adding Wiggins or Embiid to go along with a free agent in the 8 to 13 million a year range should improve us as well. Its not like we are letting Horford walk while not improving our own lineup; which did make the playoffs. Korver missing six games in a row with back spasms is why the Cavs got close.

I don't see the Cavs doing this trade; but I am old enough to remember when we traded John Drew for the Dominique Wilkins.

People's heads would explode if Al was actually worth that.

Why?

Jrue Holiday (a #17 pick) was traded for the #6 pick, a 2014 1st round pick, top 5 lottery protected (#10 this year). Al is worth more than the 1st pick, we should be getting more back from Cleveland, not sending out more stuff with Al.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I wouldn't hate LaVine at 15. And Dolfan, you left Moose off your depth chart wink3.gif

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1