Sorry it took so long but no he didn't

Melo more points & shot better %

Rbs 1.3 better

Ast .5 less

Stl .7 less

Blk .04 better

In the end IMO Melo should be on the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul George put up his stats on the #1 team in the East, Melo put his stats up on a team that couldn't even make the playoffs in a ridiculously down year for the East.

That's all that matters here.

It is comparable. Hey Jefferson can't step out and defend SF's or knock down 3's but that doesn't mean we can't compare them as players. I think @MaceCase did a pretty good job of that last week actually, which was remarkable coming from him.

Ouch, the hug and the backhand.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My tears are not for Joe. His time has gone. My tears are for the yung fellas... Anthony Davis and John Wall.

They could have told Dwight to scoot over and let Davis have that 2nd team.

They could have pushed Goran off the team for Wall.

Quote Quote Quote stats. Have you ever watched him play?

I don't know what u are talking about Homerism? I am talking about Jefferson in general...nothing to do with him being on the Hawks or not. I would have been fine if we signed him last year. We would have been able to move Al to the 4.

However, as Dol pointed out I think the Sap signing turned out to be better. Honestly, last summer I was disappointed about us getting a 4 instead of 5. Sap turned out to be the right deal.

As I said, I like Jefferson ... I love watching him go to work in the post...he has more moves then anyone and does so much despite his lack of athleticism down there making it all the more impressive. He is also an excellent rebounder. He just not a defender.

Chandler only played 66 the year before

I normally don't agree with NorthCyde but he's right. Jefferson was clearly the best signing on the off-season and to me he was truly the guy who should be First Team All NBA not Noah.

Jefferson was amazing. Offensively he was a horse. Defensively, he could play the role Charlotte wanted him to play considering their athleticism and defensive abilities aside from him. He was a top 10 NBA player this year.

Millsap wasn't close to that but for his contract, he was a very good signing. He can barely defend PF's well much less SF's so I can't agree with that but he can knock down some threes and could create his own offense which we lack outside of him.

Overall, we really can't argue v. Cyde on this. He's right. 100% right but the fit for the Hawks is where I disagreed and I didn't think he would be a good fit. True be told, I still believe he would just be a decent fit not a good or great fit. Charlotte was perfect for him as I think it will be for Lance Stephenson. I just don't think Atlanta would have been a good fit.

Look at Z-Bo, he bounced around the league till he landed in Memphis. It was a great fit.

• Like 1

Paul George put up his stats on the #1 team in the East, Melo put his stats up on a team that couldn't even make the playoffs in a ridiculously down year for the East.

That's all that matters here.

And Kevin Love made the team

Quote Quote Quote stats. Have you ever watched him play?

I don't know what u are talking about Homerism? I am talking about Jefferson in general...nothing to do with him being on the Hawks or not. I would have been fine if we signed him last year. We would have been able to move Al to the 4.

However, as Dol pointed out I think the Sap signing turned out to be better. Honestly, last summer I was disappointed about us getting a 4 instead of 5. Sap turned out to be the right deal.

As I said, I like Jefferson ... I love watching him go to work in the post...he has more moves then anyone and does so much despite his lack of athleticism down there making it all the more impressive. He is also an excellent rebounder. He just not a defender.

Chandler only played 66 the year before

I watch the entire league. And as a Synergy subscriber, I can also watch every single play type a player was involved in on offense and defense. So yes, I have not only watched him and the Horncats play, I was in Philips Arena in late December when he destroyed us for like 23 points and 22 rebounds.

Thank God for Millsap raising his game and keeping us right in it with a monster . And of course Antić's luck shot one legged 3 to send it into overtime.

But the same old arguments made about Jefferson, are the same ones who talk about Kyle Korver and bad defense.

Every Hawk fan knows that Kyle is nowhere near the defensive liability that he used to be. Even I had to admit this. While his defense in isolation is still a little below average, he closes out on shooters well and can stay in front of his man at times.

So to keep acting like Jefferson is still a defensive liability under a better defensive coach and playing in a better defensive system, is simply characterizing Jefferson the wrong way.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Sorry it took so long but no he didn't

Melo more points & shot better %

Rbs 1.3 better

Ast .5 less

Stl .7 less

Blk .04 better

In the end IMO Melo should be on the team

My take is that the difference between them offensively this season was about as big as the difference defensively. That puts them in coin flip territory. Given that George is the only representative from the East's #1 team and the Knicks couldn't come close to .500, you have to give George the nod.

It is comparable. Hey Jefferson can't step out and defend SF's or knock down 3's but that doesn't mean we can't compare them as players. I think @MaceCase did a pretty good job of that last week actually, which was remarkable coming from him.

Mace was comparing salaries and perceived value, not style of play. And even he had to back off of his criticism of Jefferson when even he admits that he wasn't overpaid last year, making 13.5 million. Despite his attempts to argue against the dude, even he knows that Jefferson balled out and significantly improved that Charlotte team.

Mace was comparing salaries and perceived value, not style of play. And even he had to back off of his criticism of Jefferson when even he admits that he wasn't overpaid last year, making 13.5 million. Despite his attempts to argue against the dude, even he knows that Jefferson balled out and significantly improved that Charlotte team.

Jefferson was underpaid. I think the issue was, he would be overpaid if the fit wasn't there in Atlanta. Charlotte didn't have much to lose, we did.

My take is that the difference between them offensively this season was about as big as the difference defensively. That puts them in coin flip territory. Given that George is the only representative from the East's #1 team and the Knicks couldn't come close to .500, you have to give George the nod.

I can respect that. Good point

• Moderators

The other part is that last season was by far Jefferson's career best. If you were going to pay him $15M or something, you had to be betting on him doing some things he hadn't done before (especially on D). That is dangerous. I thought the contract was about right (i.e., about what you would expect a FA like that to land) but one that I could easily understand Ferry not wanting to be a part of. Sap's was more of a no-brainer.

Jefferson gave you what you expected on offense along with his best defense ever and his best rebounding in 5 years. He stepped it up.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

I normally don't agree with NorthCyde but he's right. Jefferson was clearly the best signing on the off-season and to me he was truly the guy who should be First Team All NBA not Noah.

Jefferson was amazing. Offensively he was a horse. Defensively, he could play the role Charlotte wanted him to play considering their athleticism and defensive abilities aside from him. He was a top 10 NBA player this year.

Millsap wasn't close to that but for his contract, he was a very good signing. He can barely defend PF's well much less SF's so I can't agree with that but he can knock down some threes and could create his own offense which we lack outside of him.

Overall, we really can't argue v. Cyde on this. He's right. 100% right but the fit for the Hawks is where I disagreed and I didn't think he would be a good fit. True be told, I still believe he would just be a decent fit not a good or great fit. Charlotte was perfect for him as I think it will be for Lance Stephenson. I just don't think Atlanta would have been a good fit.

Look at Z-Bo, he bounced around the league till he landed in Memphis. It was a great fit.

And you are exactly right about Randolph. That dude was damn near toxic and bouncing around the league, despite putting up numbers. But as soon as he went to Memphis, and got a chance to play with better teammates who were also willing to play defense, his all-around game became even more lethal.

And you're also right on Stephenson. If he goes to Charlotte, watch out for him and the Hornets. They might not only become the #1 defensive team in the league, they may improve to a top 15 offense. That combination may be enough to win around 50 games and get them a top 4 seed.

This is why the GM needs to add Stephenson to this roster. God forbid if he goes to Charlotte, or worse .... Chicago.

And you are exactly right about Randolph. That dude was damn near toxic and bouncing around the league, despite putting up numbers. But as soon as he went to Memphis, and got a chance to play with better teammates who were also willing to play defense, his all-around game became even more lethal.

And you're also right on Stephenson. If he goes to Charlotte, watch out for him and the Hornets. They might not only become the #1 defensive team in the league, they may improve to a top 15 offense. That combination may be enough to win around 50 games and get them a top 4 seed.

This is why the GM needs to add Stephenson to this roster. God forbid if he goes to Charlotte, or worse .... Chicago.

It ain't about better teammates, it's about the right fit. For all reasons, Utah with Jefferson was more talented than Charlotte last year. But they didn't fit. The same thing we see in Cleveland right now. A very talented team, more talented than us but they don't fit. Charlotte fit Jefferson like a tee like Rose fits Chicago. They play an aggressive defensive style. They don't force much. They have plus defensive minded players at their starting positions outside of Kemba and Jefferson. Their coach is a defensive guru. They just fit Jefferson's game.

Atlanta offensive is based on ball movement and man movement. Something Jefferson struggles at. On defense, it is like a high BBIQ defense like the Spurs. Making sure everyone is accounted for and great scouting with smart defensive reads. Jefferson wasn't a good fit for that style of D. He needs to be around athletic players who play aggressive, hard, defense where he is not on an island. They always cover for each other like Chicago's D. They believe in total D. That usually hurts an offense badly but Jefferson stepped up in a major way. He just fit that team.

Atlanta offensive is based on ball movement and man movement. Something Jefferson struggles at. On defense, it is like a high BBIQ defense like the Spurs. Making sure everyone is accounted for and great scouting with smart defensive reads. Jefferson wasn't a good fit for that style of D. He needs to be around athletic players who play aggressive, hard, defense where he is not on an island. They always cover for each other like Chicago's D. They believe in total D. That usually hurts an offense badly but Jefferson stepped up in a major way. He just fit that team.

This is the best explanation I've seen as to why Jefferson wouldn't fit on the Hawks.

My tears are not for Joe. His time has gone. My tears are for the yung fellas... Anthony Davis and John Wall.

They could have told Dwight to scoot over and let Davis have that 2nd team.

They could have pushed Goran off the team for Wall.

Yeah push Dragic cause he's just gotten too many awards and accolades, unlike Wall who's never been praised. Come on man Dragic is a darn good player and he earned his spot. Walls time will come.

• Like 1

Yeah push Dragic cause he's just gotten too many awards and accolades, unlike Wall who's never been praised. Come on man Dragic is a darn good player and he earned his spot. Walls time will come.

Wall did deserve it more though.

I didn't say Jefferson was overpaid. I said the same thing as @MaceCase that we got a comparable player for a good bit less money and a shorter contract.

I do t recall him saying Jefferson significantly improved Charlotte. I recall him listing multiple reasons for Charlottes improvement, with Jefferson among them.

This is the best explanation I've seen as to why Jefferson wouldn't fit on the Hawks.

There's two MAJOR things that you ( and he ) forget though.

The Hawks don't have a go-to scorer, when the "system" isn't producing. And we're a weak rebounding team, especially defensively.

So tell me how a player who can address those two issues, plus give us the ability to keep two high quality centers in the game at all times if we wanted ( in Jefferson and Horford ), doesn't fit the great "system"?

Jefferson is a basketball player. He could easily move the ball around, if he were asked to do so. Having said that, any coach who didn't utilize his elite ability to score on people in the post, would be a dummy of a coach. There's no way I'd want Mike Scott or Pero Antić shooting a 3, over Jefferson doing a post-up move on the low block, all for the sake of "ball movement".

At some point soon, all of you will understand that the Hawks need significant TALENT in order to see this system work like it does for the Spurs. And we as fans have to hope that the GM doesn't dismiss talented players, simply because they haven't played his style of play on other teams.

As much as people talk about stretching the floor and ball movement, the Spurs start most games with Duncan and Tiago Splitter on the frontline.

Number of 3s taken by the two of them during the regular season?

EIGHT . . . and they missed all 8 threes.

Number of 3s taken by Antić alone?

ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-ONE

So if people REALLY want to copy the Spurs, how about adding two guys to the frontline who will actually play like big men, and take big man type shots . . . instead of relying on wannabe 3 point shooters that can't score in the post to save their lives.

I mean, we did only win 38 games and held on for dear life to make the playoffs. And when we actually had a chance to shock the world in Game 6, we didn't have the go-to guys on offense to actually get the job done.