Who's the last guy the Hawks drafted that you're... now... ashamed to say you were thrilled to get at the time?

sturt

• Premium Member

Not someone like Horford or Teague who have largely or mostly turned out to be good picks where they were taken...

Looking for the honest souls among us who can muster up the courage to admit to some miscalculation. :)

Need a reminder? Here ya go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_hawks_draft_history

For me, it was Pau Gasol... beeeecaaaaaaussse... that pick gave us Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who I thought was going to be a God-send.

Yep. Miscalculation.

Honestly I think it was Marvin for me. I wanted Deron then Paul but I still thought Marvin had enormous potential and was thrilled with having him on the team. Took me years to finally accept he wasn't ever going to live up to the hype.

Before that there's Dion Glover and Dermarr Johnson. DJ especially was a favorite of mine. There was also Dickau as he was supposed to be the next Steve Nash.

• Admin

Sheldon ... kidding (I thought that was terrible)

I have to agree with Sturt...I was so excited about the trade for SAR.

Although it was not all SAR's fault. He didn't have a point guard (Terry is a sg), Ratliff was always hurt, Big Dog didn't play D and wasn't a good fit and we didn't have a good chemistry mix...

• Admin

I was glad we picked Acie Law - we finally got a PG for the future (same draft as Horford, so I was thinking we are set at C and PG)

Law had the pedigree...it was the top point guard that season of college (Bob Cousy Award winner)....huge disappointment.

Ed Gray.

Where is Big Balla these days?????

Wth, I had to look that up...hahaha.

we did in 1985 in round #4, then PTL drafted him in '86 in round #1.

How'd that happen that he went back in draft?

He's not your vydas, he's not my vydas....he's Arvydas-Craig Kilborn

From way downtown ....BANG!

Keep in mind that I've been around as a Hawks fan for a looong time . . .

Butch Lee (1978) #10 pick - Ugh . . .

Al Wood (1981) #4 pick - Ugh . . .

Marvin (2005) #2 pick - Ugh . . . (I kept the faith on poor Marvin until the bitter end! Damn . . .)

No one else that we picked really disappointed me hugely either because of their draft slot or because I just didn't expect much. After awhile, it also didn't matter if we were drafting reasonably high. I still didn't expect much due to our horrible track record at drafting (Cal Bowdler, etc.).

• Premium Member

Wth, I had to look that up...hahaha.

we did in 1985 in round #4, then PTL drafted him in '86 in round #1.

How'd that happen that he went back in draft?

From what I've read, they learned too late that he was too young to be drafted.

By the way... in that particular vein, ours has to be one of the most snake-bitten franchises in basketball history...

- Had Dr. J... then through no fault of our own... didn't have him

- Had David Skywalker Thompson... then didn't have him

- Had Marvin The Human Eraser Webster... then didn't have him

- Had Arvydas Sabonis... then didn't have him

- Had Pau Gasol... then... this time through fault of our own... we didn't have him

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Honestly I think it was Marvin for me. I wanted Deron then Paul but I still thought Marvin had enormous potential and was thrilled with having him on the team. Took me years to finally accept he wasn't ever going to live up to the hype.

Before that there's Dion Glover and Dermarr Johnson. DJ especially was a favorite of mine. There was also Dickau as he was supposed to be the next Steve Nash.

That's close to my take... I wanted Deron, but only if we could trade back and get value. I recall Marvin was even getting some hype from some writers as being more deserving of #1 than Bogut.