• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who's the last guy the Hawks drafted that you're... now... ashamed to say you were thrilled to get at the time?

sturt

• Premium Member

Keep in mind that I've been around as a Hawks fan for a looong time . . .

Butch Lee (1978) #10 pick - Ugh . . .

Al Wood (1981) #4 pick - Ugh . . .

Marvin (2005) #2 pick - Ugh . . . (I kept the faith on poor Marvin until the bitter end! Damn . . .)

No one else that we picked really disappointed me hugely either because of their draft slot or because I just didn't expect much. After awhile, it also didn't matter if we were drafting reasonably high. I still didn't expect much due to our horrible track record at drafting (Cal Bowdler, etc.).

Indeed. And I was pretty high on Jack Givens, too.

That's close to my take... I wanted Deron, but only if we could trade back and get value. I recall Marvin was even getting some hype from some writers as being more deserving of #1 than Bogut.

I was thrilled with the Reef trade too but I'm keeping my reply to players we drafted and kept.

• Premium Member

I was thrilled with the Reef trade too but I'm keeping my reply to players we drafted and kept.

Yep. Understood, and that's really the spirit of the question.

As I go back through the annals, I don't see any season when the Hawks drafted someone I'd picked out who I was particularly stoked about... of course, that's not to say that there haven't been guys I was stoked about the Hawks getting, but who they passed on and other teams took, and who went on to bomb with their other teams.

The only guy we've ever drafted who I was absolutely rooting 100% for us to get to the point of bouncing off the walls... and had no doubt we'd get since we had the first two picks of a draft, s'helpme... was Skywalker.

So much for that, eh? Damn ABA.

• Like 1

• Moderators

To be honest, I've hated every Hawks pick as far as I can remember... We never select anybody I want. I didn't like us selecting Horford or Teague and they turned out to be our stars. Hell, the last few years, we've selected the last player I was wanting... Jenkins was a stretch and I hated the Schröder pick. I don't like Lavine, so I'm going slate that for our pick this year... lol

I was glad we picked Acie Law - we finally got a PG for the future (same draft as Horford, so I was thinking we are set at C and PG)

I believe Acie Law could have been great if selected by one of the other 29 teams. At minimum he could have been a role player.

• Like 1

Acie for sure. I thought we killed that draft with he and al but oh well

To be honest, I've hated every Hawks pick as far as I can remember... We never select anybody I want. I didn't like us selecting Horford or Teague and they turned out to be our stars. Hell, the last few years, we've selected the last player I was wanting... Jenkins was a stretch and I hated the Schröder pick. I don't like Lavine, so I'm going slate that for our pick this year... lol

I believe Acie Law could have been great if selected by one of the other 29 teams. At minimum he could have been a role player.

I was actually semi excited about the Jenkins pick just because I was watching that draft with some friends who were dead set on the Hawks taking Fab Melo with that pick and I wanted nothing to do with him.

Acie Law all day. I was dreaming of Ryan Cameron playing Judge Dredd "I am the law" sounders all game.

I still blame mostly Woodson for not developing this guy. He almost killed Teague's career too. To this day I'm still not sure why the NBA didn't work out for him.

I think he is doing well in Europe though.

• Premium Member

From what I've read, they learned too late that he was too young to be drafted.

By the way... in that particular vein, ours has to be one of the most snake-bitten franchises in basketball history...

- Had Dr. J... then through no fault of our own... didn't have him

- Had David Skywalker Thompson... then didn't have him

- Had Marvin The Human Eraser Webster... then didn't have him

- Had Arvydas Sabonis... then didn't have him

- Had Pau Gasol... then... this time through fault of our own... we didn't have him

And I call myself a Hawks fan?!?... I didn't even know this one... just read it...

- Had Bill Freakin Russell... and traded him to the Boston Freakin Celtics on the same day we drafted him.

And I call myself a Hawks fan?!?... I didn't even know this one... just read it...

- Had Bill Freakin Russell... and traded him to the Boston Freakin Celtics on the same day we drafted him.

You didn't know that? Damn

You didn't know that? Damn

Ya the rest of that list is tolerable with me, but the Russell thing makes my eye twitch involuntarily ..:-(

Edited by Spud2Nique

I take that back the Dr. J makes me feel really $hitty also. And this might be greedy but Sabonis. I mean I started really watching the Hawks when he was drafted and by the time he came over I was schooling(in my mind) ballers on the court. So my funnest years of ballin coincide with the Sabonis era.

Easy one. Acie Law. Coming out of college, I swore he was the next Sam Cassell. He was never close. His rookie year didn't even flash. I knew he was a waste.

I have two I hated at the time and still do to this day: Marvin and Shelden