• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Danny Ferry - Does he have a Plan?

Guest BraveHawk

I know I'm probably in the minority but if I was in Danny Ferry's position, I don't know that I would have done anything different. Would I have traded last years No #1 pick for cap space? Maybe. We don't know what information he has on Lucas's health. Also, Danny may have been trying to do something else with the cap space that didn't work out. Would I go out there and sign some of these free agents just to say I did something? Absolutely not. I'm tired of paying top dollar for fringe talent. Even if it half way works out, you handicap yourself with the salary cap going forward. It's easy to criticize but what would you have reasonably done if you were in his position. 

Liked. Ferry is truly in a tough position.

I know I'm probably in the minority but if I was in Danny Ferry's position, I don't know that I would have done anything different. Would I have traded last years No #1 pick for cap space? Maybe. We don't know what information he has on Lucas's health. Also, Danny may have been trying to do something else with the cap space that didn't work out. Would I go out there and sign some of these free agents just to say I did something? Absolutely not. I'm tired of paying top dollar for fringe talent. Even if it half way works out, you handicap yourself with the salary cap going forward. It's easy to criticize but what would you have reasonably done if you were in his position. 

You know... I don't really care anymore.

The bottom line is that it never really falls this teams way and I'm tired of caring if it's the teams fault or not.

Every year it's always It didn't work out because ____.

The main thing is that never works out.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Ferry is trash. He is absolutely no different than Sund. People keep acting like they can't see that the front office has not changed. Sund is still in there and was part of picking his guy Ferry.

• Premium Member

Ferry is trash. He is absolutely no different than Sund. People keep acting like they can't see that the front office has not changed. Sund is still in there and was part of picking his guy Ferry.

DF is the antithesis of Sund. Sund paid an allstar like a superstar and stayed pat with Marvin and Smith which resulted in us having to let him walk and not having enough cap room for a stud the offseasons before Ferry.

So much negativity. The Hawks have maintained flexibility and will make 1-2 moves to total up 10 mil w/o offering a ridiculous max deal.

There aren't that many spenders out there right now and once the Parsons thing works out by Sunday the Hawks will be in position to get a bargain 2nd tier contributor. This will be the deepest Hawks team in quite a while and full of shooters. The Hawks will effectively cut, waive, cap hold release, whatever you want to call it a player or two who will be signed elsewhere.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I have to correct you there: remember Sund was completely hand tied by the owners. Ferry is the FIRST and ONLY gm we've had since A$G took over that has complete control of basketball operations. We may not like what he does but at least he has the authority to be his own man and make his own decisions.

I have to correct you there: remember Sund was completely hand tied by the owners. Ferry is the FIRST and ONLY gm we've had since A$G took over that has complete control of basketball operations. We may not like what he does but at least he has the authority to be his own man and make his own decisions.

You can't correct me on that because you don't know that to be true. You were never in a meeting and heard them tell Sund you can't do this or that. His hands were not tied when he wanted to sign Joe, Marvin, or trade two first round picks for Kirk. Sund made moves they were just bad or lateral just like Ferry.

• Like 1

Thats you guys problem right there. To busy worried about freaking FA. PLAYERS DONT WANT TO COME HERE!!!!! For whatever reason it is and I don't want them. If they can't see what Bud, Ferry, and Bruce are trying to do then forget them. We will make it without these so called FA y'all want. 

I can't believe you want to trade Horf for freaking unproven NBA talent. Im glad you guys are not running the team.

• Premium Member

You can't correct me on that because you don't know that to be true. You were never in a meeting and heard them tell Sund you can't do this or that. His hands were not tied when he wanted to sign Joe, Marvin, or trade two first round picks for Kirk. Sund made moves they were just bad or lateral just like Ferry.

It has been widely reported that Ferry was given carte blanche control when he was hired. It also was said by former beat writers of the team and other analysts that Sund and Knight never had that kind of power. And while I wasn't in those meetings the one source I still have in the Hawks told me when Ferry was hired that unlike Sund and Knight Ferry was given a free hand. So...yeah, believe what you will but Ferry is not the same as Sund.

It's not like the Hawks is an easy sell

Well we would be a helluva lot easier "sell" if we had taken CP3 when we needed a PG instead of Marvin.  I know, I know...water under the bridge...but sometimes mistakes like Marvin, Shelden, etc..can and do haunt you for decades.

If you can't evaluate talent in this league you are screwed (see #1st round - "Bebe" )

One simple comment by a gutsy intern in that war room "well in all due respect Mr. B.K., we really need a PG and Chris Paul has shown he really wants to come here"...could have changed our fortunes DRASTICALLY.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 2

So much negativity. The Hawks have maintained flexibility and will make 1-2 moves to total up 10 mil w/o offering a ridiculous max deal.

There aren't that many spenders out there right now and once the Parsons thing works out by Sunday the Hawks will be in position to get a bargain 2nd tier contributor. This will be the deepest Hawks team in quite a while and full of shooters. The Hawks will effectively cut, waive, cap hold release, whatever you want to call it a player or two who will be signed elsewhere.

Yes because Flexibility has the ability to score on the wing, rebound, and play solid D....so glad we kept that guy Flexibility.

• Like 1