• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks re-engaged on Deng [Updated: Signs with Heat 2 yrs 20 million]

GameTime

Hawk fans here so desperate for a star someone even started a thread talking about signing coke up lamar Odom. This is why no one takes us seriously lol. smh

I think no one takes us seriously because we have fans that think Teague is an all star and that this current team is capable of winning 50 games...

• Like 1

well move on then. obviously you have no loyalty. Not everyone does. Im cut from a different cloth than you. I don't like fans who think like that. The whole freaking city of Atlanta is a full of bandwagon fans. F them too. city has no type of pride in their team. Sometimes I wish the Hawks would move to an area that would appreciate having a team.

The Irony is this is why a lot of free agents won't come here. They don't want to play in front of this apathetic fan base. It's a vicious cycle. I'm convinced that nothing short of signing LeBron or KD would wake this fan base.

Even if we maneuvered a deal for Love or Anthony Davis our fan base is so casual they probably wouldn't even notice. If it not flashy Atlanta's not happy.

Even on this board where fans are knowledgeable, Al Horford gets criminally underrated because he's not flashy. He is easily a top 25 player in the NBA and definetley top 5 at his position in the east and close to that for the NBA. If you are top 25 in any other profession in life you would easily be considered elite, and if you are top 5 in your niche forget about it. People talk about Al like he's a cute little story around here.

The NBA has a real problem they've built their brand around shooting stars that come around at best once or twice a decade. If the only way to win a championship is with one of those players than their business model is flawed. What's the point of having 30 teams; 24 of which have somewhat aphethetic fanbases. This is why the NFL will always be king. They get it right parity is a must. The NBA needs to find a way to create more parity.

• Like 2

If we give Deng the rest of our cap, then Ferry has swapped Joe Johnson and Josh Smith for Luol Deng and Paul Millsap.

So Ferry changed Teague/Joe/Josh/Al/Crawford to Teague/Deng/Millsap/Al/Korver and we are talking us up to East contenders?

I think your math is off. Joe Johnson would be making more than Millsap and Deng combined.

Then we kept Teague and Korver for almost as much money as Smoove is making.

• Like 1

I'll do the math.

Paul Millsap is making 9.5m this year.

Deng, with complete speculation, will receive the rest of our cap. Which is 13.5 million due to salmons being waived for 1 million.

Joe Johnson is currently making 23m this year and rising to 24m the next.

9.5 + 13.5 is exactly 23 million.

Where as Joe Johnson is making 100,000 over 23m at the moment.

So it's slightly less than Joe. I'll take it.

• Like 1

We might win but nothing substantial.  The players think our franchise is a joke.  How can you be upset with them when there's nothing that indicates any differently.  And who's job is it to sell the players on our franchise?  Sounds like someone is failing big time at there job.

I hope something big changes things, but when you see this crap play out for 20 years it gets harder to believe.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

The NBA has a real problem they've built their brand around shooting stars that come around at best once or twice a decade. If the only way to win a championship is with one of those players than their business model is flawed. What's the point of having 30 teams; 24 of which have somewhat aphethetic fanbases. This is why the NFL will always be king. They get it right parity is a must. The NBA needs to find a way to create more parity.

Hammer meet nail. Even MLS has this figured out, which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see the new team in Atlanta become more popular than the Hawks within a decade.

The good news about this team is that every piece is moveable via trades, so everyone should relax just a tad. FA is not the only option for upgrading the roster.

I'll do the math.

Paul Millsap is making 9.5m this year.

Deng, with complete speculation, will receive the rest of our cap. Which is 13.5 million due to salmons being waived for 1 million.

Joe Johnson is currently making 23m this year and rising to 24m the next.

9.5 + 13.5 is exactly 23 million.

Where as Joe Johnson is making 100,000 over 23m at the moment.

So it's slightly less than Joe. I'll take it.

No. The Hawks are likely somewhere between $10,800,954 -- $10,421,996 in Cap Space after waiving Salmons and having announced Thabo. So that is what you need to jump with. I have no idea how you got to $13.5m.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/7/10/5818954/nba-salary-cap-set-2014-15-season

As is more often than not, @coachx had the right numbers on this one.

Man some of you have some serious issues. So Ferry offers more money and/or years to these guys than what they're accepting elsewhere and somehow that's Ferry's fault? Oh I forgot that until Ferry got here that free agents were knocking down our door... Seriously people get a damn grip.

• Like 3

Man some of you have some serious issues. So Ferry offers more money and/or years to these guys than what they're accepting elsewhere and somehow that's Ferry's fault? Oh I forgot that until Ferry got here that free agents were knocking down our door... Seriously people get a damn grip.

Thank you.  I've always held that while FA'cy is still a huge diceroll for us, that you have to keep trying.  True I would have been a bit more optimistic if Cle or NY had edged us out of the playoffs and netted us a better lottery pick but Ferry seems to be doing the best he can do.  He can't erase the apparent issues free agents have with committing here.  But you're not looking at reality if you don't see things overall looking up for us.  Bud, in my opinion, has proven in just one year to be a more competent coach than any we've had since probably Lenny.  OUr ownership issues seem to be at least dormant for now.  Perhaps if our attendance were better we wouldn't have the stigma often attached to our fan support with pictures of too many empty seats.  But what the hell is DF supposed to do that he hasn't done?  Overpay and put us right back in the seat we were with Joe Johnson, Marvin and Josh?  We're a damn solid team right now and I feel much more confident that things are headed in the right direction.  If you don't see it, then fine.  But have your say and move the F on instead of the constant whiny arse trolling.

• Like 1