• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Monroe Playing Chess with Pistons

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Interesting read on Greg Monroe.  Sounds like he may want out of Detroit and is trying to force a sign and trade:

Nearly two weeks into NBA free agency, and more than three days into the signings process, and Detroit Pistons big man Greg Monroe, one of the biggest names still in play, has been the subject of hardly a peep.

Someone unencumbered by much imagination may translate that as a lack of market interest.

But as Pistons-Monroe talks turn into something of a blank-stare-a-thon between them, there's this to consider: What if Monroe's agent, David Falk, doesn't want his client signing an offer sheet from another team?

That is, what if Falk has determined the best course of action is to take away the one hammer the Pistons have -- first-refusal rights on their own restricted free agent -- by not taking the step which allows them to exercise those rights? If Monroe never signs an offer sheet, the Pistons have nothing to match, and Falk either can attempt to force a sign-and-trade to a preferred destination or advise his client to sign a qualifying offer which would make Monroe a 2015 unrestricted free agent.

If that latter possibility is realistic -- and the strange silence thus far on Monroe fuels speculation that it is a tool being considered seriously -- then the long-held assumption that the Pistons will be able to match any offer this summer could be reduced to one question:

Which is greater, the Pistons' desire to keep Monroe, or Monroe's desire to leave?

If the answer definitively is the latter, then Monroe either has played his last game as a Piston, or at least his last completely happy one, because if he signs the qualifying offer, he won't be pleased to play for just less than $5.5 million next season.

The long-held idea that Monroe is seeking a maximum contract is true.

The variable, if he gets one, is how much it matters where.

Pistons president of basketball operations Stan Van Gundy steadfastly has said the team has planned for all contingencies. But he has not answered the question of whether he would match a maximum-contract offer to Monroe.

The obvious reason to refuse such an answer is to avoid having a rival team tender a maximum offer out of financial spite.

The other purpose is not to expose too much to an agent who undoubtedly is plotting his client's exit.

If Monroe actually receives a maximum offer, he presumably would sign it, and then the Pistons would have to determine whether to match.

But if Monroe's primary objective is to leave Detroit, Falk can facilitate it simply by not having his client sign an offer sheet and trying to force a sign-and-trade to an approved list of teams.

Failing that, Monroe could sign the qualifying offer and play next year for far less than his worth.

The qualifying offer, in some ways, would not be the worst thing for either party.

The Pistons ultimately would figure to lose Monroe for nothing in 2015, but at least would have another year to persuade him otherwise while paying him at a dramatically reduced rate. And Monroe could get out of Detroit next year, though he would not be happy in the interim, since he expects to get paid next season.

As the blank-stare-a-thon continues, the Pistons insist they have every potential base covered. So Van Gundy doesn't have to blink.

Falk may relish the scorched-earth option and freeing Monroe of Detroit's confines. Taking Monroe on the open market next year by having him sign the qualifying offer -- and getting an extra year on his contract after the new television deal in 2016-17 -- may not bother the rainmaker agent who redefined sports contracts with Michael Jordan and Nike. So Falk doesn't have to blink.

That only leaves the question of the guy with the least money of the three, because the Pistons certainly are willing to negotiate for something less than maximum terms, if they can get away with it.

Will Greg Monroe blink?

Could this be what Ferry is waiting for?  Is he looking to unload a package in a SnT for Monroe?

• Like 1

I don't think Pistons will match an offer. SVG said Smith isn't playing SF, so would they actually match an offer the Monroe, play him at PF, the same position your other highly priced player plays? Monroe is playing out of position there, and it's Smith more comfortable position. They would have to go over the cap to sign Monroe. I don't see why we won't go after him.

Edited by RWF

The Pistons really have all the leverage here. Monroe could sign the QO and play out the season but that's not likely. 

I don't think Pistons will match an offer. SVG said Smith isn't playing SF, so would they actually match an offer the Monroe, play him at PF, the same position your other highly priced player plays? Monroe is playing out of position there, and it's Smith more comfortable position. They would have to go over the cap to sign Monroe. I don't see why we won't go after him.

They'd match a 10 million offer like we could make. They'd figure out how to unload Smith during the season so that they'd avoid the luxury tax. 

If it were a S&T then most likely SAP which takes 9 mil off the books so that you could give Monroe 20 mil.  Personally, I'd do a 1 yr 11 mil offer to see if they match or not.  SAP can hit three's and he mesh's well with the team.  I wouldn't do an S&T.  How much of an upgrade is Monroe over Millsap?  Millsap hits threes, passes better, a better defender but Monroe rebounds better, Has better post moves and its taller.  If it were me, I'd not sign Thabo, and I would have offered Gasol a 30 mil 2 yr contract.  I like Monroe tons better, but I'm not trying to break up a team that took the PACERS to Seven games.  If our three's were on in game seven, we could have easily beaten them and eventually come up against the HEAT.

I'm actually sold on Monroe now.

I took a look at his position-by-position advanced stats, instead of his overall advanced stats, and he looks even better than his supporters are saying. I didn't realize it before but last year he played more at the 4 than at the 5, crazy as that sounds.

When you look at his stats as a pure 5, he's great at offense and actually not bad on defense. Where he struggled was when he was stuck guarding 4s, probably because he's not quick enough. But with Al at the 4 he could concentrate on being a pure 5.

Bring him home, DF!

• Like 1

I think the hawks getting Monroe is an upgrade.

Teague

Korver

DMC

Horford

Monroe

I wanted Korver as 6th man but he's needed to spread the floor if we get Monroe and Monroe and Teague can provide inside scoring as well as horford.

After seeing Payne I'm really not sure we need Monroe. They're about the same size but Payne is more versatile and at least attempts to play D. Sure he won't put up Monroes #'s this year but if we trade for Monroe it would cut into his development time.

• Like 3

After seeing Payne I'm really not sure we need Monroe. They're about the same size but Payne is more versatile and at least attempts to play D. Sure he won't put up Monroes #'s this year but if we trade for Monroe it would cut into his development time.

i have to agreed with you and ire of everybody else.  Payne has a very nice game, it just need to be develop better, heck I might suggest that Edy stays here in the NBA for development time as well.

I think that Monroe just can stay in Detroit.