• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Perspective..

Mdizzle5

I haven't seen anyone talk about this but if there's another thread on this same topic, feel free to lock it Mods.

In many threads, I've seen posts along these lines when comparing ourselves to the rest of the league (not calling anyone out here):

they have the timber wolves better then us smh like what the heck klove is a loser and they haven't made the playoffs in like 8 years

Last I checked Houston hasn't made it out of the first round in 6 years.   It remains to be seen if they've accomplished anything.   

These types of phrases on some of the Western Conference teams are absolutely correct. They can't advance past to the 2nd round or make the playoffs, how are they better than us? How dare anyone say this! Off with their heads! Grab the pitchforks and torches! Let's go kill us a monster!

However, these teams are in the WESTERN CONFERENCE. We all know that the competition is stronger and teams, with better records than a 5th-6th seed in the East, sometimes miss the playoffs. So my questions are these: If the Wolves, Suns, Rockets, Nuggets, and Pelicans were in the East... would we honestly be better than they are? How many of these teams would become contenders? If we were in the West, would we be a perennial lottery team with our level of talent?

Like many of you, I want to believe that we are truly better than a lot of the 1st round exit and lottery playoff teams in the West but putting things in perspective makes me question that.

Edited by Mdizzle5

• Moderators

I haven't seen anyone talk about this but if there's another thread on this same topic, feel free to lock it Mods.

In many threads, I've seen posts along these lines when comparing ourselves to the rest of the league (not calling anyone out here):

These types of phrases on some of the Western Conference teams are absolutely correct. They can't advance past to the 2nd round or make the playoffs, how are they better than us? How dare anyone say this! Off with their heads! Grab the pitchforks and torches! Let's go kill us a monster!

However, these teams are in the WESTERN CONFERENCE. We all know that the competition is stronger and teams, with better records than a 5th-6th seed in the East, sometimes miss the playoffs. So my questions are these: If the Wolves, Suns, Rockets, Nuggets, and Pelicans were in the East... would we honestly be better than they are? How many of these teams would become contenders? If we were in the West, would we be a perennial lottery team with our level of talent?

Like many of you, I want to believe that we are truly better than a lot of the 1st round exit and lottery playoff teams in the West but putting things in perspective makes me question that.

Well its a good point but i don't appreciate you calling me out (just kidding).   Yes. The east sucks.  There is no doubt about that but getting knocked out in the first round, east or west, isn't good.   So maybe Houston is better than us when you take the conferences (and records) into account but what i have issue with is judging their team building based on the fact that they inked a couple guys to high priced deals.   Harden hasn't proven himself yet to be a real superstar and Dwight is many years removed from contributing to a winner.  

So on paper the team looks good and supposedly has stars but if they never get anywhere no one is going to give them props because they were in the west.   And if those guys can't get them further then the build of that team will be roundly criticized.  So it shouldn't be praised as a model when it hasn't done squat.   Just as the Hawks 7 year playoff run is a pretty flimsy accomplishment.

• Like 1

With a healthy Al I would think we'd be scrapping for a playoff spot - probably in a similar spot as the T'wolves last year.

I honestly think we could push Houston in a playoff series like we did the Pacers.  They seem to be built as one of those teams that can put together a good regular season but aren't built to succeed in the playoffs - basically because Harden helps anchor the no-defense of the team.

Houston hasn't been a success unless you are basing success solely on having big name players, which some posters here seem to do.

Same goes for regular season record. Who cares? It's about what you do in the playoffs.

• Like 3

Houston hasn't been a success unless you are basing success solely on having big name players, which some posters here seem to do.

Same goes for regular season record. Who cares? It's about what you do in the playoffs.

I think its not so much that they're solely big name players as it's big name IMPACT players that would push us further. As many other threads have mentioned... there's various ways to get that.

Sure... its all about what you do in the playoffs but is making the playoffs and getting kicked out in the first round damn near every time really all that much better than not making the playoffs at all? I personally don't think so.

My point is this... the East is turrible and we haven't done anything in the playoffs ourselves. SO how can we be upset that  non-playoff or early exit teams from the West are ranked ahead of us right now?

Edited by Mdizzle5

• Moderators

When talking about Houston though I think we are giving them more credit than they deserve.   Harden is only a big name because he and the Rockets say he is.   He was a 6th man in OKC.   His career is more likely to be that of Joe Johnson or Tracy McGrady than it is Lebron, durant, or wade.   While Dwight has been a great player in this league, he hasn't been that guy in a while.   Maybe he will again but maybe not.   

• Like 1

Meh, to me perspective also exists in the other direction in that you deal with the circumstances surrounding you not elsewhere.  I always hate the argument of "well if this Western team was in the East!" because the facts to me is you build a team to compete with what's around you not with who or what is out in the East and if you fail in that....then you failed period.  Turn it around and place the Hawks in the West over the same time period and tell me how well they would have done.  You're probably saying they'd be a perennial lotto team but by definition that also means that the Hawks would have had many more opportunities to be stacked with elite talent which in turn would allow them to compete for the playoffs than being out East and automatically getting the 15th pick or higher even with a losing record.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I agree dont think the Houston model will be successful.   In Miami you had Lebron, Wade, and Bosh willing to play together as a team.  Not happening with D12 and Harden.

• Like 1

I agree dont think the Houston model will be successful. In Miami you had Lebron, Wade, and Bosh willing to play together as a team. Not happening with D12 and Harden.

Dwight will always complain about getting his touches in the post on offense and Harden just doesn't play enough individual or team defense.

• Premium Member

Dwight will always complain about getting his touches in the post on offense and Harden just doesn't play enough individual or team defense.

I agree and I've seen some recent comments by Harden that were no team oriented, lol.  D12 is just a crybaby period.  Losing Parsons will hurt that team alot imo.  

Over the years I have noticed that the success of a team on the court is a steady handed veteran PG.  Not a lot of the teams around have that situation and I hope in the future that Dennis will grow into that.  Ultimately Bud has put a great system in for the Hawks that always makes the team competitive although we have less talent.  

• Like 1

I agree and I've seen some recent comments by Harden that were no team oriented, lol.  D12 is just a crybaby period.  Losing Parsons will hurt that team alot imo.  

Over the years I have noticed that the success of a team on the court is a steady handed veteran PG.  Not a lot of the teams around have that situation and I hope in the future that Dennis will grow into that.  Ultimately Bud has put a great system in for the Hawks that always makes the team competitive although we have less talent.  

Coach Bud changed the whole system in one year. Wow. People don't give him enough credit. He also lost his best player for most of the season. Having a healthy squad and 1 year under his belt, I see a top 3 finish. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Coach Bud changed the whole system in one year. Wow. People don't give him enough credit. He also lost his best player for most of the season. Having a healthy squad and 1 year under his belt, I see a top 3 finish. 

Im dont think so, I believe the other teams have improved to the point we have fallen behind, that is why is was important to add a piece like a Deng on the wing and we did not do that.  Thabo may or may not come back as a decent player and Bazemore is just really young.  If we had signed Deng I could have seen a top 3 finish.

Im dont think so, I believe the other teams have improved to the point we have fallen behind, that is why is was important to add a piece like a Deng on the wing and we did not do that.  Thabo may or may not come back as a decent player and Bazemore is just really young.  If we had signed Deng I could have seen a top 3 finish.

The other teams are all trash besides miami cleveland and maybe chicago. They aren't even that great either. All the other teams are pretenders though. If there was a year to make some noise, it's this year. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The other teams are all trash besides miami cleveland and maybe chicago. They aren't even that great either. All the other teams are pretenders though. If there was a year to make some noise, it's this year. 

I believe it is:

Chicago

Cleveland

Indiana

Miami

Washington

Charlotte

Atlanta

Orlando

You might flip flop us and Charlotte, but I think they are better

Edited by Vol4ever

I believe it is:

Chicago

Cleveland

Indiana

Miami

Washington

Charlotte

Atlanta

Orlando

People underestimate the powers of depth. You'll see that this coming season. 

• Like 2

I believe it is:

Chicago

Cleveland

Indiana

Miami

Washington

Charlotte

Atlanta

Orlando

How do you have Miami ahead of us? I have us top 4 with Chicago Cleveland and Indiana, but I'm not sure Indiana will be all that great this season. Charlotte wasn't that good last season, and losing McBob will be a big loss for them. Washington losing Ariza was another loss, but I don't think they really wanted to keep him anyway. I bet that they didn't want to spend money knowing that Beal will be up for an extension in two years.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I believe the other teams have improved to the point we have fallen behind, that is why is was important to add a piece like a Deng on the wing and we did not do that.

I think a lot of people around here get caught up in the illusion that if a team is making news stories with moves, trades, etc. that they're somehow getting ahead.  A fair number of these teams that signed players to major contracts also lost players.  We didn't really lose much besides a chucking Lou that was on the decline in my opinion anyways.

• Like 1