• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

Read Whitlock NOW.....I can't believe I'm agreeing with him. He's spot on. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11493472/jason-whitlock-bruce-levenson-atlanta-hawks

I couldn't care less about Levenson at this point.  Our GM is the one that's causing the bigger mess at this point.

So it's official, our GM is indeed either comfortable enough to read this report aloud and incompetent enough to read it aloud.  That's who is running our team ladies and gentlemen.  We're clearly in good hands.

How do you know whether or not he had or was about to give context to what he was reading? I don't trust Gearon for a second and for all we know Ferry could have easily prefaced what he was reading by saying this was from a scouting report or whatever. 

How do you know whether or not he had or was about to give context to what he was reading? I don't trust Gearon for a second and for all we know Ferry could have easily prefaced what he was reading by saying this was from a scouting report or whatever. 

Why would anyone read something like that?  Are you telling me that our GM proof read this and thought it was worth mentioning or are you telling me that Ferry didn't proof read it and just read it?  Either way it's incompetent.

• Moderators

I don't have the letter up, but I assumed MG Junior was emphasizing what he, at least, believed was inferred by the "counterfeit in the back" statement that he attributed directly to Ferry's narration.

~lw3

Yeah.  Gearon didn't say that was the quote from Ferry.  He was giving his interpretation of that comment about African / counterfeit store, etc. as the equivalent of calling "all Africans" "liars and cheats."  That is why none of the press is claiming that Ferry said the "liars and cheats" language.

Why would anyone read something like that?  Are you telling me that our GM proof read this and thought it was worth mentioning or are you telling me that Ferry didn't proof read it and just read it?  Either way it's incompetent.

I just said that for all we know he could have said that this was a scouting report, and I'll add it could have been from another team as has been rumored. Unless you're just looking for something to be angry about, I have no problem with him reading something like that, assuming there's a point to it. Again, context is everything here and right now we don't know all the facts. 

This part really concerns me as well. Are we really more worried about diversity in the management of the team than we are hiring the best qualified people? What if the best people were all Asian... or black, or hispanic? Would it have mattered then? 

We also note that the racial diversity of our management team has changed for the worse since Ferry took over. The media (and any savvy lawyer) would have a field day with that fact.

None of us have any idea what the context was, how he said it, or what he may have said directly before or after.

I'm now accusing every writer and reporter who has quoted levenson as being a racist. No excuse to say those words. Ever.

• Like 1

I just said that for all we know he could have said that this was a scouting report, and I'll add it could have been from another team as has been rumored. Unless you're just looking for something to be angry about, I have no problem with him reading something like that, assuming there's a point to it. Again, context is everything here and right now we don't know all the facts. 

So what's the point of reading a racist comment in a scouting report?  Was that important information to him?  Maybe if he just wanted to point out the absurdity of it but his comments today make it just sound like he was casually reading from a scouting report.  So that sounds incredibly incompetent to me.

• Like 1

So what's the point of reading a racist comment in a scouting report?  Was that important information to him?  Maybe if he just wanted to point out the absurdity of it but his comments today make it just sound like he was casually reading from a scouting report.  So that sounds incredibly incompetent to me.

How do we know? I can't answer your question on this as none of us have all the facts. 

• Moderators

This part really concerns me as well. Are we really more worried about diversity in the management of the team than we are hiring the best qualified people? What if the best people were all Asian... or black, or hispanic? Would it have mattered then? 

Gearon's letter is obviously designed to paint Levenson and Ferry in the worst light.  It is an attack letter on them -- not an owner raising concerns with one of his partners.

• Like 2

• Moderators

How do we know? I can't answer your question on this as none of us have all the facts. 

If there is a good explanation to why Ferry would read that outloud he needs to come forward with it ASAP.  This is the time to do damage control and change the narrative, whether it is Koonan, Ferry or someone else doing the PR.  His relative silence is being taken as acknowledgement that there were no mitigating circumstances.

• Like 2

If there is a good explanation to why Ferry would read that outloud he needs to come forward with it ASAP.  This is the time to do damage control and change the narrative, whether it is Koonan, Ferry or someone else doing the PR.  His relative silence is being taken as acknowledgement that there were no mitigating circumstances.

I wonder what he's allowed to say in public right now. To me his silence is more about what Koonin (and possibly lawyers) have told him he can and cannot say. 

If he's guilty of making these racist comments on his own then I hope he's fired, but I'm certainly not going to rush to judgment on him until all the facts are out.

And I understand but that's why it looks really really bad.  Ferry had a chance to correct the record today and all he did was confirm he read it because it was part of a scouting report.  It makes him look like a moron.

• Moderators

I wonder what he's allowed to say in public right now. To me his silence is more about what Koonin (and possibly lawyers) have told him he can and cannot say. 

If he's guilty of making these racist comments on his own then I hope he's fired, but I'm certainly not going to rush to judgment on him until all the facts are out.

If there is good context the Hawks need to inject that into the media conversation.  They have had a number of commentators defending Ferry or Levenson (like Jason Whitlock, Kareem, etc.) so those seem like easy outlets to tap to get out a better narrative with more context.  

• Like 1