• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Ferry stays on as GM...

Sothron

Bingo.  I seriously doubt Ferry is a racist but this isn't going to just blow over in the minds of potential free agents.  Do you think guys who are friends with Deng want to even take a call from Ferry?

That's gonna be a weird Duke alumni (er, former player) meeting, huh?

Dude...wow. You need to go back and edit this.

I'm gonna pull a @Wretch here and say it. Don't be "that guy".

So saying Luol Deng is African is racist?  Well then I guess if I were to call you an American, I would be racist as well?

People gotta stop with the "is it racist or not" discussion.  It's not even about that anymore.  It's about the aftermath in NBA circles.

What aftermath?  Nobody wanted to play in Atlanta before this.  Nobody will want to play in Atlanta anytime soon.

Nothing has changed.

What aftermath?  Nobody wanted to play in Atlanta before this.  Nobody will want to play in Atlanta anytime soon.

Nothing has changed.

Would you say it's better today or worse after all this mess.  Remember before this no one on the national scene talked Hawks bball.  Now the franchise is getting dragged through the mud.

• Premium Member

So saying Luol Deng is African is racist?  Well then I guess if I were to call you an American, I would be racist as well?

You and I both know that what Ferry said was racist. He didn't just say Deng was African for some kind of interesting background trivia.

Am I the only one that thought the "African" comment wasn't about his nationality but like a cleaner version of a derogatory term that we're all familiar with?  It just sounded like the scout couldn't say that so that was his asinine attempt to clean it up.

• Like 1

We've talked a lot about changing the culture with the team. Obviously the culture above them hasn't changed and I think Ferry has gotten caught in the middle between team and owners. Ferry needs to stay and we need to win. That will help people forget and forgive

Yeah we've seen what kind of "culture" this team approves of...

So saying Luol Deng is African is racist? Well then I guess if I were to call you an American, I would be racist as well?

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

That is not what was said, and to trivialize it is disingenuous.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

That is not what was said, and to trivialize it is disingenuous.

I do not think it was racist. I think it was a poor choice of racial humor on Ferry's part. You know three Pollocks walk into a bar? I do not buy the scouting report excuse for a minute , but I do not think it automatically makes him racist.

Does this make me OBTUSE?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Worked for a few years with a starchy, older white woman who had grown up in Africa as the daughter of an American medical missionary. She would always grin with delight at people's reaction to her telling them she was African-American.

Heritage is relative, often defined by what you hold most dear about yourself. Legend has it that my ancestry is Viking, and even though that was some eight to ten centuries ago, I'm proud of it in some strange way.

we need to mic up NBA players - much worse is said on the court. I dont really care what the pc police have to say - the bottom line is Ferry and staff are building the team to play team ball. If  some  dumbass wants to feel slighted and feels like the front office is full of racist let them play elsewhere.  I liked the hustle from the team we had last year and was so glad that pos Josh Smith took his attitude  and left the building.  

we need to mic up NBA players - much worse is said on the court. I dont really care what the pc police have to say - the bottom line is Ferry and staff are building the team to play team ball. If  some  dumbass wants to feel slighted and feels like the front office is full of racist let them play elsewhere.  I liked the hustle from the team we had last year and was so glad that pos Josh Smith took his attitude  and left the building.  

Geez man.  It's not about the PC police or what your or I feel about the comments.  It's about what impact this will have on the franchise going forward.  If you're not worried about "some dumba**" feeling slighted, then fine.  What if it's the large majority of players either being slighted (and apparently "dumb") or just not wanting to be associated with a perceived dumpster fire?

IOW, at what point do you become worried or are you just ok with us being a middling team just because you like how the guys "hustle"?  Hmm ... does your name rhyme with Loose Brevenson?

HomerSuspicious.gif

Yes, I'm just messin' with you, but in all seriousness this is going to have a negative impact if we just try to keep things the status quo.

Geez man.  It's not about the PC police or what your or I feel about the comments.  It's about what impact this will have on the franchise going forward.  If you're not worried about "some dumba**" feeling slighted, then fine.  What if it's the large majority of players either being slighted (and apparently "dumb") or just not wanting to be associated with a perceived dumpster fire?

IOW, at what point do you become worried or are you just ok with us being a middling team just because you like how the guys "hustle"?  Hmm ... does your name rhyme with Loose Brevenson?

HomerSuspicious.gif

Yes, I'm just messin' with you, but in all seriousness this is going to have a negative impact if we just try to keep things the status quo.

the problem with any "story" like this is the media loves to push the envelope . At some point the insanity has to stop , and to just say no to trumped up indignities takes away its power. 

There are only so many pro basketball teams so theres is a finite numbers of jobs, and a finite  amount of cash available. If someone so offended by comments from Ferry that they dont want to come here  then its not really the mentality we want on the team anyway.  I promise you theres not going to be this rush to have contracts voided from members of the Hawks if Ferry remains.

Its sad in this day and age that if your opinion differs from others its perfectly ok to try to paint them as racist - whatever - paint away  as I am at peace with myself and my god. 

the problem with any "story" like this is the media loves to push the envelope . At some point the insanity has to stop , and to just say no to trumped up indignities takes away its power. 

There are only so many pro basketball teams so theres is a finite numbers of jobs, and a finite  amount of cash available. If someone so offended by comments from Ferry that they dont want to come here  then its not really the mentality we want on the team anyway.  I promise you theres not going to be this rush to have contracts voided from members of the Hawks if Ferry remains.

Its sad in this day and age that if your opinion differs from others its perfectly ok to try to paint them as racist - whatever - paint away  as I am at peace with myself and my god. 

How is this the PC police.  I could see if he said something that was not race/nationality specific, but he didn't.  He said basically the African in him was dishonest and untrustworthy.  That you don't have a problem with that is crazy.  How would you like if someone on your job said evaluating your performance said "hey Oldtime hawk is an ok guy, but you know he's got a little white in him, so don't expect him to work well with black people".  You ok with that?

How is this the PC police.  I could see if he said something that was not race/nationality specific, but he didn't.  He said basically the African in him was dishonest and untrustworthy.  That you don't have a problem with that is crazy.  How would you like if someone on your job said evaluating your performance said "hey Oldtime hawk is an ok guy, but you know he's got a little white in him, so don't expect him to work well with black people".  You ok with that?

thats your interpretation -  why the hell would he care if he was dishonest and how would he know?? He was referring  Deng looking like the real deal  but not being able to deliver the goods.   it was a scouting report relating to his basketball skills, not whether he was truthful or not.    You basically took a statement , interpreted it  through your lens , an deemed it racial .

thats your interpretation -  why the hell would he care if he was dishonest and how would he know?? He was referring  Deng looking like the real deal  but not being able to deliver the goods.   it was a scouting report relating to his basketball skills, not whether he was truthful or not.    You basically took a statement , interpreted it  through your lens , an deemed it racial .

Dude it became racial when he said African.  If he said he has a little a Jew in him Danny would be out right now.  If he said he had a little gay in him, gone.  Because it was African, eh, pc blah blah blah.   Either way you cut it he is slandering a race of people.