• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who would move the Hawks?

Diesel

• Premium Member

If the Hawks were moved, the City would get 200 Million dollars in cash payment.  The NBA would get a relocating fee.

That's about 220 Million to move the team.  Not to mention, possible 300 Million for their buy in.

Not saying that it's impossible, but there would have to be an owner who believed that moving the team somewhere else would generate more than 1/2 a billion dollars.

I guess the question is... Can the Hawks be equatable in Atlanta?

Edited by Diesel

• Premium Member

If an owner felt they could bring in fans like what the Seahawks see I Seattle (while picking seashells at the seashore) then it's possible.

Seahawks definitely have some ride or die fans.  I think that could carry over to the rebirth of the Sonics...  However, 500+ Million?

That's Bill Gates Territory.

Seahawks definitely have some ride or die fans. I think that could carry over to the rebirth of the Sonics... However, 500+ Million?

That's Bill Gates Territory.

Assuming those numbers are correct, it's still not a lot if you've got a billionaire owner. And I believe the Mariners have drawn a lot of dedicated fan support as well. Seattle seems like perfect spot to move us, if we are moved.

• Premium Member

Imagine the Hawks having an intimidating 6th man, rocking the arena...

Oiye I'm starting to sell myself on the Hawks moving to Seattle... Damn.

Imagine the Hawks with an owner, courtside who makes it a big deal to play to the crowd... at all games!!

Imagine an owner cam... where whoever, the camera land on, the owner will go to and dance with!!

Seattle still needs a new stadium.......

A predominantly publicly funded stadium at that.

You know, in case you guys missed the reason why the Thunder were "justified" for ducking out in the first place and why the NBA allowed Sacramento to put in a "competitive" bid (hundreds of millions less) to keep the Kings despite the Hansen group offering upwards of 700 mil, plus the relocation fee, plus the 65 mil they already spent to buy the real estate, plus whatever billions they were going to foot mostly on their own to build an arena on the plot.  The Hansen group also lost its biggest gun, Ballmer, who bought the Clippers on his own. 

• Like 2

Imagine the Hawks with an owner, courtside who makes it a big deal to play to the crowd... at all games!!

Imagine an owner cam... where whoever, the camera land on, the owner will go to and dance with!!

Nah, f-that. Imagine the Hawks with an owner we never see or hear from but who does whatever is needed to put a contender on the court.

Because of the cost of the Phillips debt till 2017 or 2018, it seems less likely that a new owner would move the team right away.   However, if a new arena was built in Seattle, I could see a dirty deal like happened to the Sonics after that.  The Mayor must be worried, or why would he be talking about paying "financial incentives."  I could see a deal where they wreck them get some good lottery picks and then move out of town once Seattle is ready to pay up.   Probably unlikely, but I'd get more worried if the new owner is someone with ties to Seattle or Las Vegas. 

Were the Hawks to move and Atlanta got another team, would this site stay Hawksquawk or would it become the new teams site?

I do recall Dolf saying the site would change to follow the new team.

I don't think we have to worry about that though.  No way the league loses a top 8 TV market to gain a lesser market just to fill the arena.  Ticket sales are less of a deciding factor nowadays anyway IIUC.

• Admin

I do recall Dolf saying the site would change to follow the new team.

I don't think we have to worry about that though.  No way the league loses a top 8 TV market to gain a lesser market just to fill the arena.  Ticket sales are less of a deciding factor nowadays anyway IIUC.

Honestly, I don't see the tv watching lessen as it seems most of the fans in Atlanta watch the NBA....not necessarily the Hawks.

It is kinda of funny, that yall guys believe that Hawks will go to Seattle.  While over here in Seattle, they do not want to poach another team, they was stunned by Kings and Bucks and Atlanta is a top-10 TV market (only Southern city), NBA would be crazy to relocated.

BTW, once the TV contact is taken care and Bucks arena woes is done, the NBA would be looking into expansion with Seattle/Louisville leading the way.

Honestly, I don't see the tv watching lessen as it seems most of the fans in Atlanta watch the NBA....not necessarily the Hawks.

I think it has to do with being able to command more dollars from sponsors with the team here as opposed to the team being in Seattle/Louisville/Vegas, etc.

That's my elementary understanding of it though so hopefully someone with more than a 3rd grade education chimes in.

I think it has to do with being able to command more dollars from sponsors with the team here as opposed to the team being in Seattle/Louisville/Vegas, etc.

That's my elementary understanding of it though so hopefully someone with more than a 3rd grade education chimes in.

It is all about the sponsor.

I know alot of Sonics supporters and they are not even going to talk about Atlanta.  One of the world busiest airport, still growing population, and alot of sponsors there.  NBA would be crazy to leave that and have a MLS problem all over again.