• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Y'all Ferry's Plan may have been better than we thought

curtmcgirt

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2014/10/06/nba-espn-tnt-set-to-announce-massive-tv-deal.html

Currently, the NBA shows national games on Time Warner Inc.'s (NYSE: TWX) Atlanta-based TNT network and on the Walt Disney Co.'s (NYSE: DIS) ESPN and ABC for fees totaling a little more than $1 billion per year, a Wall Street Journal report said.

Some estimates have the cap reaching $80 million, although it should go higher. Our current committed total for 2016,17 when it goes into effect $27 million.

He may have been watching this as well during the negotiation of contracts.

• Like 1

solid lineup put together by " Mr Elitist " - all we need now is a Superstar ?? Maybe we just need to grow this team and try to have balanced scoring so stopping 1 person doesnt  stop the team. 

If this team is playing good fundamental ball we will look for a good player to mesh with this team  to help push us over the top -

• Like 3

• Moderators

solid lineup put together by " Mr Elitist " - all we need now is a Superstar ?? Maybe we just need to grow this team and try to have balanced scoring so stopping 1 person doesnt  stop the team. 

If this team is playing good fundamental ball we will look for a good player to mesh with this team  to help push us over the top -

Oh boy.  You've gone and done it now.   Watch out!

kobe_anti_gravity.jpg

• Premium Member

I don't see any serious bump for us. Everyone else will get more room too, and it will come dowm to convincing or trading for a big player, just as before. Otherwise we'll just get more Thabos and Baze signings for higher contracts.

My initial thoughts on it.  A higher cap benefits everyone...especially those teams that are already stocked.  My bigger concern is the eventual squabbling that's going to arise from the NBA and the players revisiting the CBA in the wake of this - the new commish has his work cut out.

I'd like to see this "solid" team with it's great fundamentals and work ethic to grow into a contender without a star.  Hell, I'd like to see all the dozens of examples of teams following this model.  But here I go arguing with myself again, because surely everybody on this board understands that what we need is a star. {/sarcasm}

...and why is it that people think that just because we say we're a team that plays the right way and works hard, that somehow we have cornered the market on it?  Do you guys not realize that there are teams far more talented than us that "play the right way" and work just as hard?  

Where's the advantage?

• Like 1

My initial thoughts on it.  A higher cap benefits everyone...especially those teams that are already stocked.  My bigger concern is the eventual squabbling that's going to arise from the NBA and the players revisiting the CBA in the wake of this - the new commish has his work cut out.

I'd like to see this "solid" team with it's great fundamentals and work ethic to grow into a contender without a star.  Hell, I'd like to see all the dozens of examples of teams following this model.  But here I go arguing with myself again, because surely everybody on this board understands that what we need is a star. {/sarcasm}

...and why is it that people think that just because we say we're a team that plays the right way and works hard, that somehow we have cornered the market on it?  Do you guys not realize that there are teams far more talented than us that "play the right way" and work just as hard?  

Where's the advantage?

It's a belief by a few ( not most ) but a few fans that we're doing something really groundbreaking here.  That Bud's system can conquer all, even if he don't have many high level players on the roster.   

• Like 1

It's a belief by a few ( not most ) but a few fans that we're doing something really groundbreaking here.  That Bud's system can conquer all, even if he don't have many high level players on the roster.   

it is what it is - how many teams are looking for that superstar ?? If you dont think that a system with specific pieces can compete with a team that features a superstar talent but not much else I dont know what to tell you .  I dont want to see JJ.2 on this team where we live or die  with a superstar dominating the ball.  

Its not about being groundbreaking , its about having a superior leader that can make everyone better and aspire players into beleiving in the system so much that they will do things outside their comfort zone - like actually playing defense or being unselfish with the ball , etc.  At the end of the day we all know this - we arent getting a superstar so if you have a better plan on how this team gets better let us all know.

• Like 1

Plus this could affect the ownership as well, since they will be getting more money now, I dont think they will pull out unless they get a whopper of the deal and now the TV Deal is done, expansion might be coming so the Hawks wont move.

Atlanta is the 6th (maybe higher) largest NBA TV viewing. There is no way these team is going ANYWHERE! That's my opinion.

• Moderators

it is what it is - how many teams are looking for that superstar ?? If you dont think that a system with specific pieces can compete with a team that features a superstar talent but not much else I dont know what to tell you . I dont want to see JJ.2 on this team where we live or die with a superstar dominating the ball.

Its not about being groundbreaking , its about having a superior leader that can make everyone better and aspire players into beleiving in the system so much that they will do things outside their comfort zone - like actually playing defense or being unselfish with the ball , etc. At the end of the day we all know this - we arent getting a superstar so if you have a better plan on how this team gets better let us all know.

Neither of those teams are contenders but the team with the superstar can become one by adding good complimentary pieces. As long as you start from the premise that you plan to be competitive with other non-contenders the only disagreement you are likely to have is whether that is a worthy goal.

Neither of those teams are contenders but the team with the superstar can become one by adding good complimentary pieces. As long as you start from the premise that you plan to be competitive with other non-contenders the only disagreement you are likely to have is whether that is a worthy goal.

maybe I dont understand your definition of " superstar" - I think there are maybe 4 superstars in the league right now - then there are players that are in the range of what we already have with Horford.  Lebron - Durant being the top 2 that could change your team .  Coby is on the way out . Chris Paul - again you keep saying superstar but even Lebron had to have a stacked deck to win it all. Durant  couldnt do it with Hardin or Westbrook .  The Spurs did it with a solid presence in the middle and key supporting pieces - I just dont think the Hawks can get a superstar unless we draft him and develop him. 

So having said that ( and if you cant explain where the superstar is coming from) what better options do you have that the Hawks arent already doing ??

• Moderators

maybe I dont understand your definition of " superstar" - I think there are maybe 4 superstars in the league right now - then there are players that are in the range of what we already have with Horford.  Lebron - Durant being the top 2 that could change your team .  Coby is on the way out . Chris Paul - again you keep saying superstar but even Lebron had to have a stacked deck to win it all. Durant  couldnt do it with Hardin or Westbrook .  The Spurs did it with a solid presence in the middle and key supporting pieces - I just dont think the Hawks can get a superstar unless we draft him and develop him. 

So having said that ( and if you cant explain where the superstar is coming from) what better options do you have that the Hawks arent already doing ??

Lebron was drafted by Cleveland #1 overall

Durant was drafted by OKC #2 overall

Kobe was drafted by LAL late in the lottery

Spurs drafted Duncan #1 overall

Paul was acquired in a trade for LAC's successful lottery pick (Eric Gordon) and Minnesota's 2012 lottery pick

What option do you think we aren't pursuing?  It rhymes with "bottery nick".

• Like 2

it is what it is - how many teams are looking for that superstar ?? If you dont think that a system with specific pieces can compete with a team that features a superstar talent but not much else I dont know what to tell you .  I dont want to see JJ.2 on this team where we live or die  with a superstar dominating the ball.  

Its not about being groundbreaking , its about having a superior leader that can make everyone better and aspire players into beleiving in the system so much that they will do things outside their comfort zone - like actually playing defense or being unselfish with the ball , etc.  At the end of the day we all know this - we arent getting a superstar so if you have a better plan on how this team gets better let us all know.

I do it all the time.  People just hate the players ( the non-superstar, but All-Star caliber type players )  I come up with.

• Like 3

Paul was acquired in a trade for LAC's successful lottery pick (Eric Gordon) and Minnesota's 2012 lottery pick

That is an option - also why not  either jettison all your quality players for draft picks, put scrubs out there for a season to basically be placeholders and lose night in and night out - and hope you get lucky in the lottery .

That is an option - also why not either jettison all your quality players for draft picks, put scrubs out there for a season to basically be placeholders and lose night in and night out - and hope you get lucky in the lottery .

Like 04/05 Atlanta Hawks? I'm sure the ten year anniversary is tugging at some heart strings for some squawkers, but I'd personally like to at least wait for the 20th anniversary to do that one again.

I think Kobe was traded for. Drafted by the Hornets and traded for Divac.