• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which Hawks players are you the most excited about for the upcoming season?

Sothron

1. Teague - he is the engine of the team and biggest factor in how well our team is on the court. Really want to see his assist numbers up where they were at the beginning of last season for all of this season. Also want to see better outside shooting. He's already got the hustle and dribbling skills.

2. Horford- whether you see it not, he's got something to prove to himself and the fans, that he can be not only effective but also healthy. He`s got a lot of pressure on him as the leader of the team, so he's got a lot on his shoulders (and pecs) this season.

3. Mack- i know a lot of people have listed Schröder, and that's all fine and good. But the question posed was who are we excited about this season, and i think Schro stillmay have a season or two to fine tune his game before i get excited about him in the off-season. But Mack really surprised me last year and I'm looking firward to seeing Mack come in with some determination about keeping that back up spot and improve on what he showed last year. The guy was a solid shooter, played good man and team defense, hustled, and took care of the ball. I really enjoyed watching him play last season and that's no knock against Dennis, i just think Shelvin`s got the fundamentals and just needs to add a little flash t become a fan favorite. Steady and reliable and smart make for a good foundation, and as far as backup PGs go, it'd be tough to get someone better than Mack. Mark me down as a fan.

4. Muscala - he had some goo minutes for us last season and in SL, and put up great numbers in the one preseason game. Somebody compared him to Tiago Splitter and i really liked that comparison. Kid's got a lot of potential and I'm excited to see what he can do.

5. Mike Scott- I'm admittedly very excited about his photo bombs, but I'd also like to see if he can keep improving on being a major 3pt threat and get us some more quarters with five or six 3 pointers. Also i really appreciate his game around the basket, getting bunnies in great position all the time.

Truthfully, I'm very excited about all of our guys, Sap, DMC, Brand, Payne,... I think we've got a really solid group.

For this season and next: Korver- uh...can you beat your own streak, brah? Would love get that excitement added to each game again, yet i realize it might take awhile get back to him even being close.

As much as I love Al, one could argue that we didn't miss him that much or at the least had a good plan in place to account for his absence. We were missing BazedGod, which is why I wanted that meathead Lance so bad. If he can slash, form a triple-headed perimeter defensive monster with Thabo and Junkyard (effectively relieving and extending Kyle), get to the line at a good clip, and bring a few highlights back to the factory, I can't wait to see him bust out. A shorter 2014 Gerald Green with better D is all I ask. With good health, we waltz to the Second Round.

Edited by benhillboy

Horf (will his body hold up)

Shredder (will he beat out Mack)

Blaze (did Hawks pull off another steal)

Thabo (can Bud's system resurrect his shot)

Payne (can he be what Josh should've been)

Bazemore is my guy...hoping for the BEST!!...GO BAZE !!

...otherwise I suppose Dennis...it's sh_t or get off the pot time for him.  Improve or we bring in a better backup PG.

(I'm not a Dennis "hater"...hell...I am partially German by ancestry...I would love to see a good ole German kid excel...he looks like my brother)

Actually, that is a very difficult argument to make.

I wouldn't make it of course, but it wouldn't be outlandish for an outsider to think so given we were a few minutes away from a historic upset without him. Late in the season our defense tightened, we were consistently over 100 points, and we weren't getting killed as much on the glass. They adjusted better than anyone could've imagined I think, all praises to Buddy.

I just think the good, well-rounded 2 that Baze projects to be would've given us what we were missing and couldn't replace.

• Moderators

I wouldn't make it of course, but it wouldn't be outlandish for an outsider to think so given we were a few minutes away from a historic upset without him. Late in the season our defense tightened, we were consistently over 100 points, and we weren't getting killed as much on the glass. They adjusted better than anyone could've imagined I think, all praises to Buddy.

I just think the good, well-rounded 2 that Baze projects to be would've given us what we were missing and couldn't replace.

You can make last year's team look really good if all you focus on is the series against the Pacers and you ignore how they were falling apart.  While I think that is not a good sample size to get an accurate picture of life without Horford, I get what you are saying on that.  In fact, you can keep blowing that argument out even further to say things like "We are championship contenders!  We were better than the #1 seed in the East last season (it was just bad luck we didn't beat them in 6) and now we add Horford, Payne, Bazemore and Thabo!  NBA Finals here we come!  Whoo, hooo!"

Horf - he should be number one on on everyone's list. He makes our team so much better.

Teague - it's time. My expectations are big for him now. No more "youth and learning".

Sap - love how he plays

Payne - I'm excited to see how he does, but I think we might be disappointed. Hope I'm wrong.

BUD - with one year under his belt, I wanna see how he handles year two....

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

I think my top five has worked out. If I knew what was coming then Jeff Teague would have been on the list. Now I just sit back in games and cackle, yes cackle, when you can see the other team's reaction when Teague goes out for rest and you have the young stallion in Dennis coming in. There IS no rest for them the entire game from our point guard play.

Dare I suggest we have the best point guard play in the NBA as a team?

• Like 1

I think my top five has worked out. If I knew what was coming then Jeff Teague would have been on the list. Now I just sit back in games and cackle, yes cackle, when you can see the other team's reaction when Teague goes out for rest and you have the young stallion in Dennis coming in. There IS no rest for them the entire game from our point guard play.

I think we clearly have the best, but you can't sleep on Totonto's Lowry/ Vasquez, and I can't wait to see the Suns triplets.

Of course all these predictions were spot on besides Jenkins and Moose. I can't beleive I was so optimistic about Bazemore, last nights performance fit my hopes for him down to the letter though. I didn't even mention three point shooting, but after last night it isn't farfetched to think he can sink one a game.

Great retread, Soth. Everyone loved Dennis in Summer League but you were a regular season Shredder Stan before it was cool.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Reading through this thread the big question mark is Payne. Will we ever get to see what he can do? It's clear he wasn't as NBA ready as some expected.

Difference between being NBA ready and being BudenHawks ready. He will end up being a great Hawk player but that will probably start next year. Remember many wanted to trade Dennis this offseason thinking he wasn't worth keeping around.

• Like 1

Difference between being NBA ready and being BudenHawks ready. He will end up being a great Hawk player but that will probably start next year. Remember many wanted to trade Dennis this offseason thinking he wasn't worth keeping around.

Yup...you gotta earn your pt in the Bud system. Most jobs should be like this in my opinion. Work your way up.

Spudz did you get to see the Hawks Dubs game? That would have sucked to have been going through the flu then. Get well buddy!

Ya I wouldn't have missed that for the world. It's weird I never really get sick often and since Thursday afternoon I've had a 102 temp. It's a bit down now but now way I'd miss that game. I have a lotta friends who are Warriors fans so the2 meetings between us and them are marked on my calendar every year since 86 lol. Great statement game for us. We looked really great and I especially enjoyed Schröder and Mike Scott that game. I prolly would have had more to say about it if I was a bit better. Thanks a lot for the good wishes! Hoping its almost over. Big game at Memphis tonight as well :-)

Easily yes. Teague has been routinely out playing the espn penned elite pgs and dennis is the best backup in the league.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hoping that he is just spending a year learning. Anytime a rookie sees next to zero PT you have to wonder what is really going on. Just because Dennis turned out great doesn't mean he will.

Agreed.

Among recent first round picks:

Dennis = success

Jenkins = bust

Bebe = bust

Payne = ??

Nobody knows with Payne. I do trust Bud to give him the best shot at developing.