• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We need some help up front.

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I pushed hard for Pau Gasol in the offseason but like every summer we rarely make a significant move. Gasol is a low post beast that carries a 7-0 frame to go with it. We have a small front line. I guess Danny Ferry is following the Billy Knight plan. We need to make a move for some upfront bigs, but all we care about is 3 pt shooting which will be our downfall.

• Like 2

Because Chicago is basically what Real Madrid or Barcelona is in soccer. Europeans have a big weakness for traditional big name clubs.

When a player already is a multi millionaire and can choose to play for a big club over a small club offering him more money then they mostly pick the big club, just to have a better feeling about what they did in their short pro-sports careers. Enjoy the glamour for the time being etc.

Pau also said something along the lines of only wanting to play for Chicago or NY(I think it was).

Atlanta needs to draft and trade for prospects. Like Dieng could have been possible. Or how San Antonio gotten Splitter and now Banes. Surely no Gasols, but when utilized right you can get out of them something else than all the stretch the floor guys on the bench.

That being said. I think Antić is redundant with Muscala on the team. Also, It seems Millsap is on his way back, and Horford will only improve along the season if he stays healthy.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

We tried to get Gasol. This is what I do not understand about some folks on this great forum. You would have aright to complain and bitch if Ferry and company just stood pat and made no offer. We tried for D12 , rejected , how about some Gasol? No he chose less money to go elsewhere.

This club has a bad image and juju among NBA circles for some reason. Ferry cannot bring a firearm and force these guys to sign here

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We tried to get Gasol. This is what I do not understand about some folks on this great forum. You would have aright to complain and bitch if Ferry and company just stood pat and made no offer. We tried for D12 , rejected , how about some Gasol? No he chose less money to go elsewhere.

This club has a bad image and juju among NBA circles for some reason. Ferry cannot bring a firearm and force these guys to sign here

First of all Ferry fooled around and made a last second offer after he blew it with Deng. Chicago was on Gasol early and stayed with him. Ferry failed period.

You Ferry nuthuggers can blame players not wanting to come here all you want. A GM has to sell the team and contracts to the players. He hasn't been able to get it done.

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 2

First of all Ferry fooled around and made a last second offer after he blew it with Deng. Chicago was on Gasol early and stayed with him. Ferry failed period.

Well I read my post and it seems like I was firing at you , but I wanna clear that up now , I was not. Now I think you are a realist from your post and think you agree we will never land a sought after player in free agency

• Like 1

Because Chicago is basically what Real Madrid or Barcelona is in soccer. Europeans have a big weakness for traditional big name clubs.

When a player already is a multi millionaire and can choose to play for a big club over a small club offering him more money then they mostly pick the big club, just to have a better feeling about what they did in their short pro-sports careers. Enjoy the glamour for the time being etc.

Pau also said something along the lines of only wanting to play for Chicago or NY(I think it was).

It was clear he only wanted to go to a contender. The only other teams that had a realistic shot at him were the spurs and thunder. He didnt even consider us.

Gasol: Picking Bulls Over Spurs, Thunder Was Most Difficult Decision Of My Life

The New York Knicks pursued Pau Gasol in the offseason, but they didn't have the cap space or title contender status that he was looking for.

Choosing between the Chicago Bulls, San Antonio Spurs and Oklahoma City Thunder was "probably the most difficult decision that I made in my career and in my life," Gasol said.

"I considered it," Gasol said of the Knicks. "But I thought the team was not at the level of others, other contenders and options that I had. I'm coming down to my last few years of my career, and I want to maximize them. And it was difficult to leave L.A. in the first place. But now I feel like I'm in a great position, and we have a great opportunity, and now let's see if we're lucky and we deserve to do something special."

Gasol had 21 points and 11 rebounds in the Bulls' opener against the Knicks.

"Plays where you need a great shot and you know that anything isn't rolling for you, you can easily dump it down and space out," Rose said. "If you double-team, it's going to be a wide-open shot, a wide-open three. … It makes the game easy for everyone."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235389/Gasol-Picking-Bulls-Over-Spurs-Thunder-Was-Most-Difficult-Decision-Of-My-Life

Edited by yungsta
  • Like 1

You Ferry nuthuggers can blame players not wanting to come here all you want. A GM has to sell the team and contracts to the players. He hasn't been able to get it done.

Now to the 2nd part. I am not a Ferry nuthugger but I do see his situation and every GM before him as well as after him. It is what it is man. Players do not wanna come to At and hopefully one day that will change.

Name the last big free agent signing in At. I will be waiting

• Premium Member

Now to the 2nd part. I am not a Ferry nuthugger but I do see his situation and every GM before him as well as after him. It is what it is man. Players do not wanna come to At and hopefully one day that will change.

Name the last big free agent signing in At. I will be waiting

We haven't signed a big name player since Mutumbo. We have terrible ownership and they continue to hire yes men for the GM position. I happen to like Danny and getting Bud was a positive, but Danny is not a good GM.

We haven't signed a big name player since Mutumbo. We have terrible ownership and they continue to hire yes men for the GM position. I happen to like Danny and getting Bud was a positive, but Danny is not a good GM.

Yes.. Dude I was a kid when Mutumbo played in the Atl. I am 36 freaking years old now man..lmao

Turner was owner in those days man so all the juju cannot go squarely on ASG

Yes.. Dude I was a kid when Mutumbo played in the Atl. I am 36 freaking years old now man..lmao

The fact is that we have to overpay for good players, in order to entice them to take a serious look at us.   The front office is so paranoid about overpaying a star quality player ( due to the last contract Joe Johnson got from us ), that they don't go hard after very good players anymore.

Of course, I'm not going to act like Gasol was my 1st choice this offseason.  I wanted Lance.   Thing about it though, I wanted Gasol here 3 years ago, when those rumors about Josh Smith was going around.   People thought that trading Josh + a 1st round draft pick, would be too much for Pau.   I personally would've done that in a heartbeat, looking back on it.   Or given the Lakers Josh + Marvin.

• Like 1

My recollection is that Gasol wanted the culture of a true international city that was also a contender, so San Antonio and OKC were behind Chicago since NY couldn't afford him.  Funny thing is, the Hawks traded his draft pick for Shareef way back when and could have had him the whole time instead, remember?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well I'm 54 now and I remember when we traded John Drew, Freeman Williams along with picks to Utah for Dominique Wilkins! It was exciting times.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My recollection is that Gasol wanted the culture of a true international city that was also a contender, so San Antonio and OKC were behind Chicago since NY couldn't afford him.  Funny thing is, the Hawks traded his draft pick for Shareef way back when and could have had him the whole time instead, remember?

Yeah I remember yet another draft blunder.................

Yeah I remember yet another draft blunder.................

At the time it looked great. There weren't many foreign success stories from the draft at the time and Reef was a near lock as a 20/10 player every season and he was a local guy. The vast majority of fans here were thrilled with that trade. 

• Like 1