• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I really have to give more credit to Kyle Korver

volman

Tell North, that dude hated Kyle, begging him to "do more". Destroying the entire NBA annually in all advanced combined shooting metrics and taking a specified defensive assignment every night wasn't/ isn't enough.

Glad you came around, the man is a fabulous "player". Not "talent", not "athlete", not "scorer", a True Player of the Game of Basketball who respects the integrity of it and knows "the right way". I can't say that about many "superstars" who are just the nouns I named above.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Yeah, you have to give it up to Korver. He is so much more than I thought he was when he played against him in the past.

I always thought he was a JJ Reddick type player. Jus a jumper shooter with no real athletic ability or ability to do grunt work.

This dude plays good defense, not just solid defense. He's a great helping defender and gets a lot of blocks for his position. He's also pretty physical on the boards. He's scrappy as evidence by the number of jump balls he's been in lately as well.

Edited by diamond_dave
  • Like 2

When he was acquired by Atlanta from the Bulls, I had a sense that Korver was pretty upset about it.  Of course, he was leaving an NBA title contender for Atlanta, the "bottom" of the barrel when you talk franchises.  

However, Korver signed back with Atlanta for four years (during a supposed rebuild).  This screamed a, "get the money and run" contract .  A lot of people thought it was a steep price but Ferry knew what he was keeping with Korver.  Korver also, if I recall correctly, was quoted that he believed in what Ferry and Bud were building in Atlanta, and wanted to be a part of it.

Folks, Kyle Korver has been a big part of this transformation.  I am confident that behind closed doors he is a great leader for this team and Atlanta would not be where it is now without him.  We have seen even the Junkyard dog wanting to be called the "black Kyle Korver".  

Sorry for the novel, but I think that the signing of Korver, while not sexy, has made such a huge impact on this franchise, and I can feel that after this season we will have a decent shot at getting bigger name free agents now that we are more and more successful.

Go Hawks

Novel? That's like a cover insert summary for an @Wretch post!

Tell North, that dude hated Kyle, begging him to "do more". Destroying the entire NBA annually in all advanced combined shooting metrics and taking a specified defensive assignment every night wasn't/ isn't enough.

Glad you came around, the man is a fabulous "player". Not "talent", not "athlete", not "scorer", a True Player of the Game of Basketball who respects the integrity of it and knows "the right way". I can't say that about many "superstars" who are just the nouns I named above.

North has pretty much disappeared since we started playing well. At least I don't recall him posting much. 

• Like 2

I thought North was fairly neutral on his posts--- at least from what I remember.  Again, that was a couple of years ago.

I think some folks on here fell into the apathy when it came to our Hawks and kind of gave up.  He is probably embarrassed, and that's why he isn't around as much.

Anyway, you are spot on BHB--- he is really a fabulous player.  It is great that really, you can't lump every member of this roster into a category.  This team is so dangerous, and like you said, they respect doing things the right way.  Same for Al..same for Sap..same for Teague.  

You have a guy like Pero Antić who came over to the NBA to prove to himself that he could compete at the highest level.  He is willing to do whatever it takes to win.  Same with Baby Rondo.  

I just love this team all the way around.

I thought North was fairly neutral on his posts--- at least from what I remember.  Again, that was a couple of years ago.

I think some folks on here fell into the apathy when it came to our Hawks and kind of gave up.  He is probably embarrassed, and that's why he isn't around as much.

Anyway, you are spot on BHB--- he is really a fabulous player.  It is great that really, you can't lump every member of this roster into a category.  This team is so dangerous, and like you said, they respect doing things the right way.  Same for Al..same for Sap..same for Teague.  

You have a guy like Pero Antić who came over to the NBA to prove to himself that he could compete at the highest level.  He is willing to do whatever it takes to win.  Same with Baby Rondo.  

I just love this team all the way around.

Two different posters. Northcyde was a level headed neutral poster. TheNorthCydeRises has been incredibly negative and doom and gloom since his return. 

Two different posters. Northcyde was a level headed neutral poster. TheNorthCydeRises has been incredibly negative and doom and gloom since his return. 

Ohh gotcha... two different posters or two different sides to one poster? :) 

Pop, Bud...........Korver? Naturally next in line to carry on the Spurs-style coaching legacy years from now? He'd be a great one. Hopefully for the Hawks someday. After MANY many years of Bud, of course wink3.gif

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

Yeah, you have to give it up to Korver. He is so much more than I thought he was when he played against him in the past.

I always thought he was a JJ Reddick type player. Jus a jumper shooter with no real athletic ability or ability to do grunt work.

This dude plays good defense, not just solid defense. He's a great helping defender and gets a lot of blocks for his position. He's also pretty physical on the boards. He's scrappy as evidence by the number of jump balls he's been in lately as well.

A lot of people around the league rave about how far Reddick has come and how he's a shooter and player in the class of Kyle. I be like "wtf is you talking bout, fool?!" He's Seth Curry to Kyle's Steph.
  • Like 3

Ohh gotcha... two different posters or two different sides to one poster? smile3.gif

Same person. 2 different posters. 

A lot of people around the league rave about how far Reddick has come and how he's a shooter and player in the class of Kyle. I be like "wtf is you talking bout, fool?!" He's Seth Curry to Kyle's Steph.

I think that overall Reddick is a better scorer than Kyle as he can actually put the ball on the floor and get his own, but there's nobody in the league that can match Kyle at shooting the way that he does. 

Same person. 2 different posters.

I think that overall Reddick is a better scorer than Kyle as he can actually put the ball on the floor and get his own, but there's nobody in the league that can match Kyle at shooting the way that he does.

I've rarely seen him take off the dribble, but he's a decent man defender. I didn't mean to dump on the dude, he's quality, but swap him for Kyle and let's just say the board wouldn't be joyous everyday with the biggest arguments being over crowd noise perception!
  • Like 1

Just another proof that our GM knows what he is doing.

With the Hawks up for sale, let's hope that whoever gets this franchise is wise enough to

bring him back on board and keep Bud happy, along with all our players.

We certainly don't need someone who believes he knows everything and that he is going

to change everything to suit himself and to heck with what we have now.

This can happen.  People with money are not necessarily smart. 
Some can be a smart aleck.

We want everything to turn out well but we have no guarantees.  Some want to move the Hawks

to the west coast and would not hesitate to pay that $70 million extra just to make it happen.

Guess I always hope for the best and expect the worst.  This is just another example.

STAY HERE, ATLANTA HAWKS!!

• Premium Member

Here is an example of how hard Korver works night in and night out.  Extremely underrated defender.  Notice how he reads what is going on in the Grizzlies offensive set before it even happens and adjusts his position accordingly. 

P.S. LOL KORVER DUNKS?!?!?

Edited by SalvorMallow
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Novel? That's like a cover insert summary for an @Wretch post!

North has pretty much disappeared since we started playing well. At least I don't recall him posting much. 

Yeah he used to only post on peachtree for awhile, now he doesn't seem to post anywhere.  I wouldn't either with his track record.

Harangued everyone for not loving Lance Stephenson and said if this team didn't get him we would be sorry (RIIIIIIIGHT).

Thought Kevin Love was the best player in the NBA.

Looooved Al Jefferson and said Ferry was worthless for not overpaying him. 

Convinced that we would be an 8th seed/lottery team this year.

• Like 3

Nothing is more egregious than "the GM who I refuse to learn his name overpaid for Kyle when he could have gotten a better and cheaper player in Chris Copeland."

Yes, Chris Copeland.  Or JR Smith being a better value because guys that can dribble their way to a contested, fadeaway, one legged pull up from 20 feet are still more instrumental to team success than a guy who can get open on one dribble.

I don't know if it's hate that Kyle was a direct product of the Joe trade which we still have to pretend netted the Hawks nothing or hate that Kyle is indicative of the #OneTrickPony Hawks which are a stark contrast to the And1 All Star starting lineup of Jordan Crawford, Lance Stephenson, Joe Johnson, Chris Copeland, and Al Jefferson.

Instead of being appreciative of a team that can manufacture 5-7 guys that can get you points when you need them while more importantly getting you stops, the desire is still towards having "that guy" who can dribble out the clock to get a contested midrange bucket.

• Like 2

Nothing is more egregious than "the GM who I refuse to learn his name overpaid for Kyle when he could have gotten a better and cheaper player in Chris Copeland."

Yes, Chris Copeland. Or JR Smith being a better value because guys that can dribble their way to a contested, fadeaway, one legged pull up from 20 feet are still more instrumental to team success than a guy who can get open on one dribble.

I don't know if it's hate that Kyle was a direct product of the Joe trade which we still have to pretend netted the Hawks nothing or hate that Kyle is indicative of the #OneTrickPony Hawks which are a stark contrast to the And1 All Star starting lineup of Jordan Crawford, Lance Stephenson, Joe Johnson, Chris Copeland, and Al Jefferson.

Instead of being appreciative of a team that can manufacture 5-7 guys that can get you points when you need them while more importantly getting you stops, the desire is still towards having "that guy" who can dribble out the clock to get a contested midrange bucket.

Don't hurt em Mace, don't hurt em

Kyle with the two-hand half-tomahawk?! I actually thought about this a few days ago, the only thing that would surprise me with this squad is a Kyle flush! I know he still got that Billy Hoyle in him. Too bad cherry picking isn't allowed under Buddy.

I've rarely seen him take off the dribble, but he's a decent man defender. I didn't mean to dump on the dude, he's quality, but swap him for Kyle and let's just say the board wouldn't be joyous everyday with the biggest arguments being over crowd noise perception!

He was doing it in our last game. I don't mean he was crossing guys over but he was getting his own shot off the dribble. 

Going from Kyle to JJ would be a huge downgrade to our system on both ends. Kyle is the superior player IMO.