• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Turning Point of the season?

bobrathbun4pres

In yalls opinion. Or just turning point that gave this team success.

You can argue Bud hiring, Ferry hiring, a play or game.

I personally think of the Celtics game on Dec. 2 this season.

(sorry dont know if we can embed vids or not im a noob)

Anyways, these guys were down so much in the game as I'm sure you all remember.  Boston was making everything the first half and part of the 3rd.  They really tightened up their D in the 3rd qtr and Bazemore's dunk was huge in motivating the fans and team.  Korver had a big game keeping the guys in it and Schröder kicked butt filling in for Teague a little while.

Obviously hiring Bud is the overall reason in most people's eyes I'm sure.

• Like 2

When Al started wearing that undershirt and his play improved.

On a serious note: when they started playing defense that was the turning point. We were scoring easy enough but the defense was ranked 26th or there about.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I think it was the Celtics game. They even mentioned it when we played them a week or so ago that things turned around when we erased that 23? point deficit. 

And you nailed the YouTube video, something many of the long timers around here still haven't figured out. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I'd say the turnaround happened during that 9 game winning streak.  People were saying that it was against soft competition, and that may have been true...but a win streak is a win streak.  When they won all those games, I had a sneaky suspicion that they were a little better than "middle of the pack."

Shortly thereafter, they dismantled Chicago, and then Cleveland and Houston on the road.  I think the confidence soared then and there was no stopping these dudes.

I'd say the turnaround happened during that 9 game winning streak.  People were saying that it was against soft competition, and that may have been true...but a win streak is a win streak.  When they won all those games, I had a sneaky suspicion that they were a little better than "middle of the pack."

Shortly thereafter, they dismantled Chicago, and then Cleveland and Houston on the road.  I think the confidence soared then and there was no stopping these dudes.

Good thing there was still room on the bandwagon for you to jump off of your tank and get on before you got left behind! 

• Like 3

From 7-6 to 35-8shok.gif  
28 - 2 since Thanksgiving!
For weeks, i have been trying to figure out, what the Hawks did during Thanksgiving to go on this run,  and all I can come up 
with is either Coach Bud is putting flubber on everyone's shoes or we have some kind of angels in the outfield thing going on.

I thought the 9 game streak was nice but that we just happened to come together at the right time against middle to bottom of the pack teams.  I considered it more momentum than being something that could consistently happen throughout the season.  I've seen this before from Hawks teams.....

Then came the Cavs revenge game.  We had just come off our first big win against a top tier team in Chicago and the league was slowly starting to notice us.  We were going into Cleveland against the most popular player in the game and most talked about team.  The spotlight was getting slightly bigger so I figured it was the perfect time for them to flop and remind me of Hawks past teams.

Not only did they get revenge, they completely dismantled the Cavs.  When the Cavs beat us earlier they were just hot and couldn't miss, making some crazy shots.  I thought that we shot lights out too but it was attributed much more to team play and moving the ball than just being hot - something that had been ingrained in these players.  They went into a super hostile environment and completely took the fans out of it.  Unfazed.

This is when I knew I could have some confidence in this team and they were becoming that well oiled machine.  That really gave me some confidence and had me feeling that every game is winnable rather than just waiting for that letdown game.  Little did I know that was just the tip of the iceberg for what began a tough schedule.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Good thing there was still room on the bandwagon for you to jump off of your tank and get on before you got left behind! 

As a lifelong Hawks fan, I always had a seat on this train...it was just at the back this season.  lol

Like I was saying earlier though, I have waited a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time for this.  Can't tell me nuthin homeslice! This is my team and I couldn't be happier to be wrong.  I hope they win it all and you rub it in my face for the NEXT 10 years!  

:D

• Like 2

I think it was the Celtics game. They even mentioned it when we played them a week or so ago that things turned around when we erased that 23? point deficit. 

And you nailed the YouTube video, something many of the long timers around here still haven't figured out. 

I have to cosign with Dolfan; this game convinced the team not only could they come back, but surge ahead and win against anybody!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Honestly I can't remember when it happened but when Horford finally got back into game shape and stopped playing poorly (for him) and started playing like the Horford we remember. That is when the switch turned on for the entire team.

• Moderators

Can I cheat a little... and go back to last season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJPVKXoLC4

Before that game Melo and the Knicks were supposed to catch us; Kyrie and the Cavs (blown out in Atlanta just two nights before, really the first hint) were still supposed to pass us, and the Hawks were on their way out of a postseason that no one wanted to see them in. They were merely there to keep the 8-seed warm for a "good" team. It was the other teams' destinies, not ours.

Then, that happened. Then, teams that thought they were Hot ****, #1 seeds and everyone else, started with the looooooooong faces and blank stares that we're only now growing accustomed to seeing on the other sideline.

Suddenly, Teague looked like more than a journeyman second-tier point guard; Pero looked actually functional. It was like the passing and the pressure defense kicked up a notch and we were no longer looking at a garden-variety 33-42 team.

To me, that Sunday evening (coupled with the Friday win over Cleveland) last April was the moment The Switch was set to ON. For this season, it was merely a matter of how long it would take to get Al back up to speed, for Dennis to become a steady contributor, and the whole team to gel.

~lw3