• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Observations

HawkLove0

I been reading this Hawks forum for several years and recently joined since the team started doing so well.  I have several observation that I would like to share with the community.

1) The Posters here on Hawksquawk are really hard on their players...I noticed several people have been very critical of some of our main players for a very long time like Jeff Teague and Al Horford..And I found it curious

2) Posters here seem to have finally let the Chris Paul draft go which took a long time even though the Chis Paul led teams have never done anything of note.

3) It seems like the posters here are still undergoing some type of healing process for past crimes and isn't yet totally ready to trust this team.  i.e. The lost to the Pelican seem to open old wounds.

4) The Fans are sensitive to others questioning their dedication to the team even though when compared to other team's fan, Atlanta fans leave a lot to be desired.

5) I was reading last summer how many were upset that the team didn't tank the season after missing out on Howard and everybody's favorite Chis Paul.  I never understood why a fan base would wish that upon themselves seeing the numerous failed attempts in the past to win in that fashion.  Heck even Oklahoma City is not looking so good these days with the threat of Durant going elsewhere after a disappointing 2015 season.

6) Finally,  I think that posters are waiting for the opportunity to question this team's personnel.  I find that odd because the minute someone from the outside does, there is an immediate reaction.  Conversely, after the hawks team losses a game,  Posters here seize the moment to express how they really feel about this team and the lack of confidence they have in this current product going forward.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Welcome to the light and out of the shadows...!  I've been a poster on the Squawk for 10 years and a lurker far longer than that.  I think your observations are valid up to the point where the Hawks just up and decided be the best damn team in the world.  Although some people believed that we would EVENTUALLY turn things around, there isn't a soul here who could have dreamed that we would...

Make NBA History with a 19 game winning streak

Dominate the Western Conference

Grab an 8 game CHOKEHOLD of a lead on the Eastern Conference

Send 3 AllStars to NY

Have the runaway favorite for Coach of the Year

Have the exiled GM as the very likely GM of the Year

Have the best record in the league at the All Star break

Be a favorite to win the title

Among other things...

Even the players themselves are surprised at one of the biggest "WTF just happened" type turnarounds that I have ever seen.  All that being said, I'd like to lend my perspective to your observations:

1) This is not new. lol  Before Teague and Horf, it was Josh, Marvin, and Chill.  Before them, it was DerMarr, JT, BigDog.  Before them, Laettner.  We were hard on Koncack, the Snake, and even Kevin Willis for not being able to hold onto the damn ball.  There will always be a whipping boy.  Always.  Right now, everything is awesome and new...if disappointment shows up, a new whipping boy will emerge.  Personally, I have *******NEVER******* hated on a Hawks player no matter how bad they are.  It's just not in me to dislike my own players.  I will find and focus on their positives up until they leave us - and beyond.

2) I think for most, the 2005 draft will always sting.  Same as the '88 duel or the egg we laid in the 2008 Game 7.  Missed opportunity and who knows what the team would have been like with CP3 and a different COACH.  We wasted a pick on Marvin.  Honestly though, this hasn't really been a subject in years.

3) Not seeing this at all.  I'm a 30 year Hawks fan and I have endured all manners and depths of disappointment.  I was HIGHLY critical of this team - and rightfully so I think considering our biggest accomplishment over the past 2-3 years was managing cap space and barely losing a 1st round 7 game series against an EC pretender.  Yet, even I have been turned into a crow-eating believer - and HAPPILY so!

4) Honestly...?  How do you question anybody that would spend their time (and donate money to) a message board dedicated to a franchise that has been mired in mediocrity for 40 years?  We're all fans here and I dare someone to question my loyalty to this team.  

5) This is a merry-go-round of a topic and it's way too convoluted to sort out.  Being honest, there isn't much history to support building a contender without franchise quality talent.  Prior to these guys being possessed by the Monstars from Space Jam, they looked pretty decent, but ordinary.  I think "tanking" is a bad and useless word.  The point was more to secure the top talent to groom or make trades with and build a contender - since it didn't appear that we were really that much better than the field.  Though, obviously our turnaround adds a wrinkle to that methodology.  Which isn't invalid considering there are plenty of good teams in the NBA that have built that way and we haven't won the championship yet.

6) I don't think we're reading the same message board.  Who is doing all this questioning?  This is the most positive that I have seen the Squawk....EVER.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 4

Maybe a newbie shouldn't start with such critics but nevertheless his observations seem quite correct for me...

I don't understand some posters here too and sometimes I can't stop smh, but everybody should execute his fanhood his own way without being criticized for that...

• Like 1

I've named them "The Miserable Ones", and they look for any/every excuse to bitch. It's the pressure release valve on their life music.gif

• Like 1

No.  A very good post.  You have just shared some of the things you have read

over time.

Strange as it seems, not every poster here agrees with every other poster. 

If everyone thought alike, what would be the point? 

Just don't try serious name calling to any individual poster as that is frowned on

by the people who make all this place possible.  They will get you for this.

Share your thoughts with us.  Don't be surprised if some agree and others do not.

That is what makes this entire thing so interesting.

• Like 4

1) The Posters here on Hawksquawk are really hard on their players...I noticed several people have been very critical of some of our main players for a very long time like Jeff Teague and Al Horford..And I found it curious

Why shouldn't we be critical of the players? Horford was a top 3 draft selections. Fans generally expect a lot out of someone taken at that position. These guys aren't children... They get paid millions and millions of dollars. There is nothing wrong with being critical of them.

2) Posters here seem to have finally let the Chris Paul draft go which took a long time even though the Chis Paul led teams have never done anything of note.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I don't think Chris Paul is going to get further than what he has. I think enough time has past now that we can comfortably say that Paul is not leading his team deep in the playoffs. That does not mean that BK's drafting is justified.

3) It seems like the posters here are still undergoing some type of healing process for past crimes and isn't yet totally ready to trust this team.  i.e. The lost to the Pelican seem to open old wounds.

I think people were just bummed out that the streak was gone. Moreover, people got spoiled by so many easy wins the last few months..

4) The Fans are sensitive to others questioning their dedication to the team even though when compared to other team's fan, Atlanta fans leave a lot to be desired.

I think it's like how one might fight with their brother/sister but they will defend them against anyone else.

5) I was reading last summer how many were upset that the team didn't tank the season after missing out on Howard and everybody's favorite Chis Paul.  I never understood why a fan base would wish that upon themselves seeing the numerous failed attempts in the past to win in that fashion.  Heck even Oklahoma City is not looking so good these days with the threat of Durant going elsewhere after a disappointing 2015 season.

This is a superstar driven league and no stars want to sign here. You don't think that people would prefer the Hawks get one through free agency? Even as good as the Hawks are playing, history is not on their side.

6) Finally,  I think that posters are waiting for the opportunity to question this team's personnel.  I find that odd because the minute someone from the outside does, there is an immediate reaction.  Conversely, after the hawks team losses a game,  Posters here seize the moment to express how they really feel about this team and the lack of confidence they have in this current product going forward.

Teams that have had the type of success the Hawks have this year have had superstar players. It's reasonable to have doubts that this team can maintain it's current pace.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Welcome! Every new poster, with her/his own threads and posts, is free to set the example of how they'd personally like their fellow fans to be when we're in respectful discourse with one another. Accordingly, we look forward to your subsequent posts! And definitely don't be a stranger when things aren't going quite as well! Go Hawks!

~lw3

• Like 2

Hey man, I've been lurking here for about 2 years and also just made an account, and while some posters are can be negative (not calling any names) there are also some that are optimistic and some in-between. A little bit of criticism of ANY player is expected with a group of this size and there is nothing wrong with that.

I actually like this dynamic of people. Sure, there are some people who's negativity can annoy me, but overall I think it's a great group of people. You have got to remember, a lot of those people who seem 'negative' have been supporting the Hawks for longer than either you and me.

• Like 3

The variety of view points is what makes a discussion interesting. If everyone was a homer that would be a boring conversation. Just remember to address people respectfully and respond to content.

What you wrote came across as critical. That's why you are getting some negative reactions. Nothing wrong with what you said, it's OK to have opinions. Just expect to have them challenged.

Welcome to the Squawk! Thanks for contributing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Not a good first post??? Just sharing some honest well-documented observations...

Refreshing 1st post...I didn't think that you were insulting at all.  Sounds like you were just giving your honest opinions which I can appreciate.  There will be people that don't want to hear certain things but don't let that stop you from voicing your opinions.  Welcome to Hawksquawk and I hope that our somewhat rude responses to your well thought out post does not discourage you from enjoying this site in the future like many of us have for many years.

Maybe a newbie shouldn't start with such critics but nevertheless his observations seem quite correct for me...

I don't understand some posters here too and sometimes I can't stop smh, but everybody should execute his fanhood his own way without being criticized for that...

You just have to realize how much we've suffered over the years being a Hawks fan. Heck Moses only had to endure 40 years and some here have gone longer as Hawks fans with nothing to show for it.

But by and large the people here are positive and intelligent and have good things to add. If you new guys knew how many real trolls I've trimmed from the board the last 10 years you'd be shocked. Many of whom post over on the AJC now.

• Like 1

Not a good first post??? Just sharing some honest well-documented observations...

It's probably not the best way to make your first post by calling out people (even if not by name) but you do have some valid points.

Anyway welcome to the Squawk! Maybe you can give @Wretch a run for his money with long posts.