• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Grizzlies

lethalweapon3

Yet the only part of this that matters is we had 34 Defensive rebounds and they had 38. We don't EVER go for Offensive rebounds because Bud wants it that way. We get back to avoid giving up easy transition points off of one of our missed shots. It's ridiculous the amount of people that still don't understand this FACT. I'm not saying you don't know this, I just quoted your post because you put up rebound totals. But I've seen it from plenty of other people.

And It's also ridiculous the amount of people that hate on Pero because they don't understand defense beyond looking to see if a guy is a shot-blocker or not. Hedging screens, cutting off drives, jumping in passing lanes, and a plethora over other activity seems to go unnoticed by far too many people. Lets not forget the guy makes barely over $1m. If Pero had a consistent 3pt shot to go with everything else he brings, the guy would be making $8m a year.

We lost because our two All-Star frontcourt players both had horrendous shooting nights on wide open shots that they normally make - that's all. Nothing more. You could probably even say we got hosed by some non-calls from the refs, but I'm not even gonna go there. Anyone who thinks Al and Paul were soft defensively this game, I don't know what to tell you other than get your eyes checked - soon.

They had 92 shot attempts and we had 80. Nine times out of 10, if you have more opportunities to score, you are more likely to score more. This all comes from our rebounding issue. I get the whole thing about getting back on defense and what not, but we atleast need to place more emphasis on rebounding as we near the playoffs. 

Edited by ATLHawks3

Al is far from soft, dude is simply overmatched v. very athletic or very talented centers as he's a PF. He gave great effort. I seen him battle on the boards but he's simply over-matched. His offensive game is far from garbage. His offensive game is very good. He simply out of position in some of these match-ups. It happens, he's a PF. What do you expect?

The dude is a PF/C that does not even attempt 2 free throws per game as a top 3 scoring option on a team. His game is soft.

Somebody has to make the all star game at the C/PF spot. It's not like the east is filled with great big men or something.

So then what is your definition of Soft? I don't see anything in Al's game that resembles softness.

So then what is your definition of Soft? I don't see anything in Al's game that resembles softness.

Standing out on the perimeter jacking up jumpers and never getting to the foul line. 

C'mon this is a 6'10 guy with pretty good athletic ability and he can't ever get to the free throw line even though the NBA is softer than it has ever been.

The bottom line... To me, this team is a treadmill team until they win in the playoffs. No matter what they do the rest of this regular season.

Even if they win all of the remaining regular season games. 

The only reason they beat Golden State was because it was 3 games in 4 nights for them for GS.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

They had 92 shot attempts and we had 80. Nine times out of 10, if you have more opportunities to score, you are more likely to score more. This all comes from our rebounding issue. I get the whole thing about getting back on defense and what not, but we atleast need to place more emphasis on rebounding as we near the playoffs. 

OK, lets say for arguments sake what you suggest is true. Now comes the hard part: how? For defensive rebounds, this is something we all hear Bud mention in nearly every postgame press conference. It's not like they aren't coaching it or emphasizing it. On the offensive end, this is NOT going to change. Bud believes in ignoring the rebound and getting back on defense. This isn't going to change. And I respectfully submit that Bud seems to know what the heck he's doing.

You can suggest we acquire and play a better rebounding Big. Sure, that sounds great. Until you think about our defensive scheme requiring our Bigs to be mobile enough to hedge screens out as far as the 3pt line and still be able to get back and D their man. And also have the mobility to provide excellent help defense on the weakside. I only know of 1 C/PF that would be able to play the type of mobile D that Horford/Millsap play while also being a significantly better rebounder, and that's Anthony Davis. Anyone think we have a chance at trading for him?

The thing people need to focus on more than a lack of rebounding, is what are we trading that for? It's not that we are ignoring rebounding and not getting something out of it: far from it. We are getting much better overall team defense out of it. And it's not that Bud wouldn't want 7 footers that can do what Al and Paul do while also being able to be outstanding rebounders; it's that those guys don't just grow on trees.

• Like 3

Standing out on the perimeter jacking up jumpers and never getting to the foul line. 

C'mon this is a 6'10 guy with pretty good athletic ability and he can't ever get to the free throw line even though the NBA is softer than it has ever been.

I'm still not seeing how that makes him a soft player. If you were to ask me, I tend to associate a players "softness" to his defensive game. I could see someone calling Pau Gasol soft, because he's a one dimensional , horrible help defender, unlike Al, but atleast Al makes the effort to be a great defensive anchor for this team while also providing some timely shots from the perimeter. And you act as if he does that all game long. Al has improved tremendously from last year with his scoring in the paint. So if you choose to continue to write off Horford as a horrible player, then go right ahead. Just know that you're a little bit off with your judgement.

I mean, you have a guy saying if the Hawks win the remaining 30 games to tie the '96 Bulls, he'll remain unmoved. It's just not worth arguing.

I'm not getting taken in like the Falcons fans did a few years ago.

This team ran into two physical teams in New Orleans and Memphis... And they faltered. That's why this team has critics that say that the Hawks will fail in the playoffs. This team two got rough with Millsap and Al and they folded.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

To be honest Hotlantadude just needs to be banned already. He's a troll who makes those posts to get a rise out of people. He's far too toxic to be on the forum. 

It does seem quite obvious that Hots woke up one day a couple of weeks ago and decided to just start trolling with nothing but negative posts.  He will be proven wrong so it's no big deal and the joke is on him.

OK, lets say for arguments sake what you suggest is true. Now comes the hard part: how? For defensive rebounds, this is something we all hear Bud mention in nearly every postgame press conference. It's not like they aren't coaching it or emphasizing it. On the offensive end, this is NOT going to change. Bud believes in ignoring the rebound and getting back on defense. This isn't going to change. And I respectfully submit that Bud seems to know what the heck he's doing.

You can suggest we acquire and play a better rebounding Big. Sure, that sounds great. Until you think about our defensive scheme requiring our Bigs to be mobile enough to hedge screens out as far as the 3pt line and still be able to get back and D their man. And also have the mobility to provide excellent help defense on the weakside. I only know of 1 C/PF that would be able to play the type of mobile D that Horford/Millsap play while also being a significantly better rebounder, and that's Anthony Davis. Anyone think we have a chance at trading for him?

The thing people need to focus on more than a lack of rebounding, is what are we trading that for? It's not that we are ignoring rebounding and not getting something out of it: far from it. We are getting much better overall team defense out of it. And it's not that Bud wouldn't want 7 footers that can do what Al and Paul do while also being able to be outstanding rebounders; it's that those guys don't just grow on trees.

I like your argument. But it doesn't at all bother you that the Hawks will continue to get outrebounded by 10+ each game?

• Premium Member

This trying to silence someone because they don't agree with you is ridiculous. Hots has a right like everyone else to voice their opinion. The Hawks have a rebounding problem is true, they have been able to overcome it with shooting, steals and defense most of the year. Memphis is a damn tough inside bulk team that can go get the boards.

We have such great chemistry it is tough making a move and messing that up. Thabo being out goes unnoticed but he does a good job on the boards. I'm sure Danny, Bud, and the assistant GM have already been looking at this.

• Like 3

This trying to silence someone because they don't agree with you is ridiculous. Hots has a right like everyone else to voice their opinion. The Hawks have a rebounding problem is true, they have been able to overcome it with shooting, steals and defense most of the year. Memphis is a damn tough inside bulk team that can go get the boards.

We have such great chemistry it is tough making a move and messing that up. Thabo being out goes unnoticed but he does a good job on the boards. I'm sure Danny, Bud, and the assistant GM have already been looking at this.

A voice of reason. Haha.

I would like to see an exact quote from Bud that says we aren't trying to go after offensive rebounds...that doesn't make much sense to me. An offensive rebound equals one more possession, and who doesn't want that? I don't live in GA, so I don't get to watch the games much, and when I do, I never get to watch the postgame pressers from Bud. But I cannot fathom that he would espouse that as a strategy. 

Anyway, we have a problem with rebounding, and tonight we got bitten by it (and almost did against GS despite us shooting lights out in the second half). And yes, Horford's and Milsap's offensive ineptitude cost us as well. We are still an excellent team, but this is a problem. And with Pero's limited value, we have no other bench bigs that can help with the rebounding and defense night in and night out. Payne can;t get PT, Brand barely plays and isn't mobile enough for our defensive strategy, Scott is more of a SF, and Muscala racks up DNPs. 

We are going to have to hope that the defensive strategy that has carried us this far will continue to cover up our rebounding issue yet still thrive in the playoffs when we will face more defenses like the Grizz who CAN rebound night in and night out along with playing strong defense.

Edited by TheTruth
  • Like 1

Kind of saw this coming after a big win against Golden State in which ALOT of energy and emotion were expended and only having a day off before playing another heavyweight. I'm impressed that they only lost by six with absolutely no calls in their favor.

#They'rehumannotrobots #Longseason

Yea, the hype of the Friday night game coupled with the proximity to the All Star break might have played a large role towards the amount of emotional energy that they could muster for this game.  I figured they'd scrape the bottom of the barrel to get up for this game before Bud decides to rest guys for Minnesota and Boston to extend their well deserved break.

• Like 1