• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What was the problem with Payne?

Diesel

• Moderators

Unless we deal for a vet, I don't think the trade was about helping the team compete now.  We can always cut Jenkins and sign a veteran free agent.

I don't take much from the statements of Bud and/or others that this wasn't a reflection of his talent but was just about how much we love our other bigs.  First, admitting we blew the pick would make our management look bad.  Second, admitting we blew the pick would us look like snakes after we spent weeks (at least) shopping Payne during which we presumably pumped him up to try to get maximum value.  Third, we are always going to say we like our young guys even when they clearly aren't ready to play big minutes today.  

So I view those statements as having as much weight as when a guy leaves a job to "pursue other opportunities."  You just got fired.  Let's be real.  

It is speculation but my best guess is that the people who have said the team just decided he was a bad pick who wasn't going to fit in and/or earn minutes now or in the foreseeable future are right.  @JETSET said it perfectly - once you realize you busted your pick you trade them while they still have value so you don't have Jenkins2.0 (where he is worth so little that he can't be traded, isn't worth picking up the rookie option, and where he can't even crack the rotation after a major injury to a backup wing).  

A busted pick?  He had five months of constant yanking around.  I'd like to see which players get jerked around like he did and contribute.  Whatever I am over it though.

If you would have looked at Dennis last year, you would have said the same thing.   Dennis didn't fit well.  Seemed as he didn't get it.  However, we gave him time.   Bigs are the hardest positions to learn.  This dude could have been something.

Completely agree.  I still think Payne will be a solid player at some point and disappointed that we gave him up for an (at best) #14 pick in 2017-2020 and becomes a 2nd rounder afterwards.

Even if he wasn't getting the system, dude is a rookie and IMO it's hard to believe he could be worse than Pero.  

A busted pick? He had five months of constant yanking around. I'd like to see which players get jerked around like he did and contribute. Whatever I am over it though.

When I say busted pick, I am referring to our needs and his fit with us. The pick became busted for us as soon as we traded him. Im not saying that his career will be a bust. I wish him the best and I hope he does well in Minny.

• Moderators

A busted pick?  He had five months of constant yanking around.  I'd like to see which players get jerked around like he did and contribute.  Whatever I am over it though.

Chicken or egg.  He hasn't had any opportunity or he hasn't earned any opportunity.  The team is more eager to invest in a second round pick or Payne isn't as good a prospect as our second round picks.  The good news for him is that time will tell and he gets a second bite at the apple starting this week with a team that has no incentive to do anything but develop young talent and a top pick this season.

I didn't see another thread that this seemed appropriate in, so just dumping it in here. It's not worthy of its own thread, but I thought it was an interesting little nugget, especially with the continued Pero bashing.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

The BBIQ thing is awfully concerning. That should be the easiest thing to evaluate if you're the hawks. Why in the world would you select him if he was a little slow?

Teams have limited time with the players.  they depend on scouting reports, eye test, college coaches recommendations etc.

I guess after having him for awhile he wasn't progressing at the rate they expected.

Better to move on early once it's determined he's not a fit.

Teams have limited time with the players.  they depend on scouting reports, eye test, college coaches recommendations etc.

I guess after having him for awhile he wasn't progressing at the rate they expected.

Better to move on early once it's determined he's not a fit.

If they dont have enough time to see if he can pick up the MOST important part of your team, perhaps Ferry and Bud should petition to get more time with guys haha. 

I definitely get what youre saying, but Bud and Ferry have stated over and over that personality and the ability to fit the scheme are their number one criteria. Apparently Payne failed that, but we still drafted him. 

Id be willing to give Danny Ferry a break if not for the fact that hes only selected 2 successful first rounders going back to Cleveland. At what point do we start accepting that Ferry has a large dart board he uses for the first round? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Payne was shooting like 33% with the t-wolves before this game, and if you watch the game tonight, he looks like a great athlete that has limited knowledge of the playbook- that just so happened- to have some good hustle plays, and one sick dunk.  Payne is already like 50 years old with low bbiq, I think the Hawks made the right move....besides at this point if Coach Bud traded Millsap for a statue of Tyler Perry to accompany Nique, I'd believe it was the right move for the team moving forward.