• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud's Player Development

louwill16

Bud is clearly a natural. I've been watching the NBA for over 25 years but there are aspects of game flow and psychology I never even thought of before Bud. His head is so filled with knowledge, he has to disperse it all amongst the staff so the team doesn't miss anything, his chief concern clearly is defensive intensity. This team is gonna be so much more mentally consistent and stronger than their opponents in the playoffs it's not even gonna be funny.

I had high hopes for Baze in the Summer, low and behold he's rounding into form with perfect timing. Everytime a young player adds something new to his game, it gives us new dimensions and options. Baze finding the range as well as providing timely slashing, there aren't enough timeouts for these poor coaches, man. You just can't find better than Bud's player development and gameplan preparation. The league has to be shaking in their boots knowing we have a 22 year old prospect at 7'3" for Bud to customize. I could ramble all day about Mike, let me chill.

Don't recognize the name, great post and welcome to the Sqwauk.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

John Jenkins:

JJ played 22 minutes, mostly, if not all in the 1st half.  He hit on 3 threes,

grabbed 7 rebounds, hit his one free throw and had a steal.  Not bad for

a player that couldn't crack the starting lineup with 4 regulars out and, if

we are to believe the rumors, no one wanted to give up a second round

pick to have him come and play for them.

Now, back to the end of the bench and forgotten.  Such is the life of some

Hawk players this season.  I remember, not too many seasons ago, JJ would

have been a starter for the Hawks.

music.gif

In my opinion this is the great fallacy of the Spurs story book. Everyone acts like they are just great draftniks of talent; out smarting everyone and drafting superstars at the back of the first and in the second round.

The real secret sauce to the Spurs is their player development. Tim Duncan is a hall of famer anywhere, but I would argue Parker and Manu are probably just above average players without the Spurs development. They are borderline hall of famers now.

The second advantage the Spurs have is they understand and draft only players susceptible to their development style. "People that have gotten over themselves"

The Hawks are now doing this. Understanding your core competencies and developing/attracting talent are in the DNA of every great organization. The Hawks are building something that will be sustainable. I've been down with them like 4 flat tires for a long time, and this is the first time I could truly say this.

• Like 4

In my opinion this is the great fallacy of the Spurs story book. Everyone acts like they are just great draftniks of talent; out smarting everyone and drafting superstars at the back of the first and in the second round.

The real secret sauce to the Spurs is their player development. Tim Duncan is a hall of famer anywhere, but I would argue Parker and Manu are probably just above average players without the Spurs development. They are borderline hall of famers now.

The second advantage the Spurs have is they understand and draft only players susceptible to their development style. "People that have gotten over themselves"

The Hawks are now doing this. Understanding your core competencies and developing/attracting talent are in the DNA of every great organization. The Hawks are building something that will be sustainable. I've been down with them like 4 flat tires for a long time, and this is the first time I could truly say this.

Very true and on top of it all the Spurs also draft high character guys, something Bud and Ferry have mentioned multiple times as well.  If you have a guy with the right attitude who is willing to learn and not be a distraction, that is huge and has allowed Bud to mold these guys.  It's awesome to me how he has managed to make everyone count where even the last guy on the bench like Jenkins contributes when called upon and doesn't complain at all about playing time.

• Like 1

JUST WONDERING:

Is it possible that some of this idea of getting players who have a decent IQ and are

willing to learn, which we sincerely believe applies to all our current Hawk players,

could possible carry over to Atlanta's other pro teams?

Braves are tearing down and building up.  So are the Falcons.  It seems that both teams

have recently had players that just didn't fit.  Now they are both trying to fix what went wrong.

This ideas that the Hawks are using and which seems to have originated with the Spurs

should be good for Atlanta's other teams.  Hope they are listening to what the Hawks are doing.

Players who are not "full of themselves" but are willing to listen, learn and change.  Hawks have

a roster full of this type player.  Players who think, not as individuals, but as a team.  It's working

for them and it will work for the Braves and Falcons if only they are willing to try it.

GO ATLANTA !!

• Like 1

Hawks nation,

While we may have started what many to have considered second tier players in the win tonight, tonight's Miami triumph may prove to be the most assuring win of the season. Kent and Dennis along with Jenkins and Scott are starting to prove that coach Bud is the next great mind in NBA player development. I mean, it wasn't 2 years ago when I was sitting in my apt. Marveling at the talent Bazemore displayed in the summer league for GSW. The problem, no coach had an idea of how to contain it. GSW shipped him to LA where he showed some of that talent but let's face it, Coach Bud will find a way to realize the potential in this man.

Bazemore is just one of many men who have played in the summer league in recent years that came out to defensively dominate the Miami Heat tonight. Several Summer league stars were on display for the NBA's most deep team.

I'll be frank. Last year, I had come to the belief that Dennis was going to be a major flop. But the strides he has made throughout the summer and over even the last few months are remarkable. After watching tonight, would you even think about trading Dennis for Dragic? I certainly wouldn't. Dennis was quicker and smarter on both ends contributing to the dreadful night for Dragic. I look no further than Coach Bud.

You look at a guy like Jenkins. Very little playing time this season but ready to contribute despite his injury history and lack of experience. Now we see why the Hawks have not moved the shooter. Maybe, just maybe, Bud sees with the right development that Jenkins can become a Korver one day.

And do we have to even mention Mike Scott. Put simply, Bud has turned him into a prominent stretch 4.

Playing against former and current all stars Wade, Deng, and Dragic, these former Hawk afterthoughts, are just that good. The Heat could not breath.

Let us take this time to credit coach Bud. Obviously, he has done amazing things for Korver, Teague and DMC, but it does not stop there. Bud works on development throughout the roster and will continue to produce top tier talent as an in tonight's product.

Enjoy it Hawks fans. For me, it's been a lifetime of love and heartbreak. Great to see us have a real coach after years of watching Stotts, Woodson, and Drew create shambles of drafted talent.

I can't "Like" this post enough! 

If you would have asked me when Bud was signed if I would prefer a top-tier free agent signing (aka, Howard, James, Love, etc.) or Coach Bud, I would have been very shortsighted and said we need the All-Star. I am so glad Ferry had the vision and Bud has the genius to be such a blessing to all of the Hawks faithful.

JUST WONDERING:

Is it possible that some of this idea of getting players who have a decent IQ and are

willing to learn, which we sincerely believe applies to all our current Hawk players,

could possible carry over to Atlanta's other pro teams?

Braves are tearing down and building up.  So are the Falcons.  It seems that both teams

have recently had players that just didn't fit.  Now they are both trying to fix what went wrong.

This ideas that the Hawks are using and which seems to have originated with the Spurs

should be good for Atlanta's other teams.  Hope they are listening to what the Hawks are doing.

Players who are not "full of themselves" but are willing to listen, learn and change.  Hawks have

a roster full of this type player.  Players who think, not as individuals, but as a team.  It's working

for them and it will work for the Braves and Falcons if only they are willing to try it.

GO ATLANTA !!

Wisdom as usual! You are very right about this.

• Like 1

As I've stated before, comparing Bud to what we've had here in the past is like comparing someone in Special Ops to someone in the Special Olympics. For the first time since Nique's heyday, Hawks Basketball MEANS something again. Not to just the diehards and dedicated that have suffered for years on this site but to the city as well. And as we've well documented, that is no easy task. I mean for the love of God, we have casual fans who live in town on social media talking about the importance of team ball. For years, most of us thought that for them to be relevant here, we needed a superstar in our uniform. Bud and Ferry has changed the basketball mindset of an entire town. I cannot recall a Hawks team EVER being able to rest starters during the season against teams and still win. LD couldn't do that; hell, Fratello and Hubie couldn't do that.

For years, we've cried for a paradigm shift in this franchise. We sit right now a full TEN GAMES up on the next best team in the East. Teams deliver their best shot against them, only to end the game with their heads down and towels covering their faces like all the rest. ABC doesn't mention them. TNT barely recognizes them unless they lost a game. ESPN goes so far that they created some RPI system up to make them look inferior to teams they've already beaten up. I can tell you this; the national pundits are scared. The TV execs are scared. And we can only imagine what opposing coaches are thinking right now.

We have someone who plays chess, not checkers or Connect-4. Finally, our prayers have been answered...

• Like 3

As I've stated before, comparing Bud to what we've had here in the past is like comparing someone in Special Ops to someone in the Special Olympics. For the first time since Nique's heyday, Hawks Basketball MEANS something again. Not to just the diehards and dedicated that have suffered for years on this site but to the city as well. And as we've well documented, that is no easy task. I mean for the love of God, we have casual fans who live in town on social media talking about the importance of team ball. For years, most of us thought that for them to be relevant here, we needed a superstar in our uniform. Bud and Ferry has changed the basketball mindset of an entire town. I cannot recall a Hawks team EVER being able to rest starters during the season against teams and still win. LD couldn't do that; hell, Fratello and Hubie couldn't do that.

For years, we've cried for a paradigm shift in this franchise. We sit right now a full TEN GAMES up on the next best team in the East. Teams deliver their best shot against them, only to end the game with their heads down and towels covering their faces like all the rest. ABC doesn't mention them. TNT barely recognizes them unless they lost a game. ESPN goes so far that they created some RPI system up to make them look inferior to teams they've already beaten up. I can tell you this; the national pundits are scared. The TV execs are scared. And we can only imagine what opposing coaches are thinking right now.

We have someone who plays chess, not checkers or Connect-4. Finally, our prayers have been answered...

Amen! Hawks is really fortunate to have coach Bud, he's really a unique coach! Credit to Danny Ferry for bringing him to Atlanta.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker

Coach Bud just really loves the game. I think that what makes him a great coach.

A lot of coaches love the game. He's great at coaching, that's the difference. Seen potentially elite talent from Dennis in his first SL and in the World Nike Games, I I knew he had it in him. He was just really raw. He needed to develop. His develop was five times faster than excepted and partly because of Coach Bud and partly due to other coaches, partly due to Teague and teammates and partly due to Dennis's work ethic. We need to continue to draft players who fit who have star talent. I like Caris LaVert, Hezonja and Russell in the draft. No low ceiling players like Kemanisky or Hunter.

I really don't think there is a more fearful thought in NBA coaching circles right now than the one of Bud getting to grow a young, mobile big man with potential. The very thought that he was one pick away from having Giannis on this roster and Tavares overseas in training is enough to wake opposing coaches up in a cold sweat. They are probably praying for an ACL or something to occur overseas to prevent Tavares from coming here to play alongside Millsap and Horford. I really think that a guy like him is an ace in the hole that Bud's saving for 2016. It's probably why he isn't in such a rush to add massive payroll in terms of signing a big man here; as if there's many of them around anyway.

Player development was a term that has been foreign to this franchise since moving from the Midwest. If a guy didn't have the 'want to' in him to get better (ala Nique, who had no jump shot when he first got here, only to become much better at it as time went on), he was left to 'do what he do' sort to speak. Look at guys like Stacey Augmon, Marvin Williams, Osh, and Childress, who've come through here without anyone willing to insert a foot up an ass to get better during the offseason or risk being shipped away. You think Bud would've tolerated Marvin watching SpongeBob all summer long for seven years running instead of getting roasted everyday by one of his lieutenants in a sweaty gym? You think Childress would've still been shooting the ball like a nine-year old had Bud been here? And I'll dare say that Diaw wouldn't have dared ask to be traded had he had someone more competent to know his skillset instead of Woody.

This is different. We have guys who stress the intricacies of ball movement, spacing, and being at the right place at the right time; and these are the players, not the coaches saying that. We have guys constantly talking about the need to get better on the court in order to earn minutes; and again, these are the players saying that, not the coaches. Players never said such things when LD, Woody, or even Fratello was here. They just hoped that they had enough to win 45 games, make the playoffs, and perhaps, if all goes well, make the second round. Looking back at last year, they would've done that and then some if not for all of the injuries and that would've been Bud's floor of expectations. Somewhere, Bob Weiss and Kevin Loughery would've killed three people to have won the same amount of games in an entire season as Bud has with 24 left to play.

The bar has finally been raised by the franchise. It's the most pleasurable thought I've ever had in my 30-plus years of watching this team....