• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Nique Statue Got Me Thinking...

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

...who else deserves (or will prove to deserve) a statue from Hawks history or on the present team? I know statues should be reserved for influential players like Nique, Bird, Magic, or Jordan, but the Bulls gave Pippen a statue.

I'm thinking Horford may prove to earn a statue (especially if he helps bring us a championship) and if Coach Bud gives us a good 25 years of coaching, I could see giving him a statue (or a bust) too.  Just thinking of a statue of Bud with bitter Bud face or throwing up the Bud Wave would be hilarious. From Hawks history, I'm not sure... Maybe Deke with the finger wag?

Who you got?

• Premium Member

...who else deserves (or will prove to deserve) a statue from Hawks history or on the present team? I know statues should be reserved for influential players like Nique, Bird, Magic, or Jordan, but the Bulls gave Pippen a statue.

I'm thinking Horford may prove to earn a statue (especially if he helps bring us a championship) and if Coach Bud gives us a good 25 years of coaching, I could see giving him a statue (or a bust) too.  Just thinking of a statue of Bud with bitter Bud face or throwing up the Bud Wave would be hilarious. From Hawks history, I'm not sure... Maybe Deke with the finger wag?

Who you got?

Nobody has put in enough work to qualify.

Nique was a 9 time allstar and an all NBA first teamer.

Horf will be a 3 time allstar after this season. 

Joe got 5 alllstars as a Hawk.

Plus Nique was also the face of the franchise through 4 50 win seasons.

And Nique repped Atlanta after his career.

The real question is what former or Present Hawk is likely to get his Jersey raised to the rafters??

• Admin

Who you got?

From Hawks history ... we have not anyone who has had the impact that deserves that kind of recognition.  Bob Petit played for St. Louis ... we have had really good players but not a superstar

Who you got?

Really, you're ragging on 6x champion Pippen getting a statue?  C'mon son.

To answer your question, none.  You get statues when you win.....a lot.  Nique is amongst special cases because more than just being a great player he's an icon in Atlanta and beyond.  His college career, Hawks career, being amongst the most iconic players in NBA history and then the fact he stuck around and dabbles in ownership and commentary.  No other Hawk comes close to those credentials, their only hope would be to run off multiple championship runs to equal Nique's lore even though he never won one himself.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I agree that Nique is really the ONLY player from Hawks history that deserves a statue. Honestly, I don't think anybody on the current roster will get one either. I could see Teague and Horford having their jerseys retired and maybe a bust inside the Philips (or whatever arena we are in at the time), but I'm not sure about a full blown statue either.

Danny Ferry. Granite instead of bronze, no Africans at the ceremony either.

I say tell Danny that it's going to be made out of granite, then have the artist from Kenya fabricate it out of fiberglass, just to see if he says anything.

In 2037, after 23 seasons and 7 championships as the Hawks head coach, the city of Atlanta unveils the statue of coach Mike Budenholzer. Well deserved coach Bud, take a bow.

In 2037, after 23 seasons and 7 championships as the Hawks head coach, the city of Atlanta unveils the statue of coach Mike Budenholzer. Well deserved coach Bud, take a bow.

I approve - make it so!