• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DeMarre Carroll: Top Five Free Agent Sleepers of 2015

RandomFan

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/04/14/scotto-top-five-free-agent-sleepers-of-2015/

A similar player who will have to pick up the slack for an injured teammate in the playoffs is Hawks swingman DeMarre Carroll. With Thabo Sefolosha out for the remainder of the season with a broken fibula, Carroll will have extra duty defending the opponent’s best wing player in the postseason.

After signing a two-year, $5 million deal with the Hawks in 2013, Carroll has been a steal while making the most of his opportunity as a full-time starter for the first time in his career. He started only 22 games in the previous four seasons with Memphis, Houston, Denver and Utah.

This season, Carroll averaged a career-high 12.6 points and shot an efficient 49 percent from the field and 40 percent from downtown.

“This sounds crazy, but this guy might get $8-9 million a season,” one executive told SheridanHoops. “That’s a high-end role player. Really, you try to get him at $7 million ideally. If somebody offers him $10 million, I don’t think Atlanta matches it.”

If Carroll has a good playoff run with the Hawks by locking up the opponent’s best wing player and nailing open 3-pointers, he will receive the higher end of that range.

The Hawks are a balanced team, which could allow Carroll to light it up on any given night and impress potential suitors on the league’s biggest stage.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/14/hawks-demarre-carroll-says-he-will-most-definitely-consider-knicks-as-a-free-agent-this-summer/

Hawks’ DeMarre Carroll says he will ‘most definitely’ consider Knicks as a free agent this summer

DeMarre Carroll has bounced around a bit to begin his NBA career, now playing for his fifth team in his sixth professional season.

But he seems to have found a home with the Atlanta Hawks.

Carroll has started all but one game since joining the Hawks in advance of last season, and is a key member of a team that has over-achieved to win 60 games and will finish the year at the top of the Eastern Conference standings.

Atlanta would probably like to do what it can to keep Carroll in the fold, but he’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, trying to get his first high-dollar, long-term deal secured. That means he won’t be ruling out any potential suitors at this early stage of things, which, of course, includes the New York Knicks.

From Marc Berman of the New York Post:

“Most definitely,’’ Carroll said when asked if the Knicks would be a high consideration.“When guys talk about playing in certain places — they talk about Madison Square Garden and Staples Center. Those two places. New York has a lot to offer but at the end of the season, I’ll let my agent do that. We’ll keep our options and hopefully it will work out for the best.’’

This should not come across as shocking or controversial that Carroll would comment on a specific team or city in advance of free agency, while he’s still under contract with the Hawks. It isn’t breaking news that players covet the ability to play in large markets like New York or Los Angeles, or even smaller but more attractive ones like Miami.

The reality is that Carroll would have answered similarly if he was asked about Sacramento or Minnesota, which are among the league’s least desirable cities. As a free agent looking to maximize his earning potential, there isn’t a single option worth ruling out until the negotiations have begun in earnest.

i love Demarre , but for 10 million, i would let him leave... If you pay him 10... how much do you pay Millsap?

if Ferry Is still wit us, I trust him to find a cheap replacement that will fit in well with the team.

When the season started I thought DMC would get about double his salary at about $5 million, with the new TV deal in play and the cap to be exceedingly higher, I think salaries are about to sky rocket.

The most the Hawks should offer is $8 million.

I would cap Millsap at $14 million.

Some Teams will be handing out big deals with the new cap then in a few years they'll realize how bad the deals are then they'll want another amnesty provision added.

I just hope the Hawks aren't one of those teams.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

i love Demarre , but for 10 million, i would let him leave... If you pay him 10... how much do you pay Millsap?

if Ferry Is still wit us, I trust him to find a cheap replacement that will fit in well with the team.

10 million is overpaying for him. This Hawks regime is all about giving fair deals instead of overpaying like under Sund. I'd give him the same deal Ariza got this summer, a front-loaded 4 year 32 million dollar deal. They're close in age too and have the same impact for their respective teams. 

Millsap, I'd give him a similar deal to what Boozer got when he signed with Chicago (5 years 80 million). I don't think the Hawks can offer him a 5th year so that would make his deal 4 years 64 million.

• Premium Member

So instead of thinking about the playoffs, he's already thinking of playing for Knicks.

It's a pre-negotiation tactic. Many players do this. I wouldn't read too much into it. Edited by Jody23

• Moderators

It's a pre-negotiation tactic. Many players do this. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Totally agree. A free agent who says he loves [fill in name of city] that he is visiting is like reporting on that same free agent saying he wants to stay with his current team if it works out. It should result in a yawn.

For recent history, remember all the Korver quotes along these lines?

Edited by AHF

It's that time of year and I don't expect players to respond any differently than DMC. It's a non-issue.

Danny Green pretty much had the same response:

When the local product was in town with the Spurs a month ago – sporting a “Made in New York” tattoo on his wrist and a Yankees hat in his locker – I asked Green if the Knicks could be an attractive free agent destination for players this summer. “New York’s a great place, a great city,” Green told SheridanHoops. “A lot of people love coming and visiting here. You know Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher now are changing things around a little bit and I’m sure that they have more than enough cap space. They’re going to get some guys so it’ll be interesting. I think they’ll be able to get some good pieces in free agency during that time.” SheridanHoops - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.5ebCuunI.dpuf

• Premium Member

i hate all the attention he's getting.  Just saying...I'm all for him cashing in but I would hate to see him go.