• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hollins not too worried about Hawks' Kyle Korver... he's no Curry

Admin

• Moderators

Trivial Trivia Part Deux:

The beginning of the end for Lionel Hollins' tenure in Memphis (perhaps) came when he reportedly snapped at new Grizzlies Basketball Ops VP John Hollinger, for interrupting players during practice without Hollins' permission.

According to the news reports, Hollinger had stepped onto the Grizzlies' practice court and meddled with which NBA Player???

~lw3

Pencils down!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lionel-hollins--grizzlies-likely-parting-ways-after-contract-discussions-collapse-210228215.html

During the Grizzlies' playoff run, tensions turned to a confrontation when Hollins exploded during a practice session upon finding Hollinger had walked onto the practice court and engaged forward Austin Daye during a shooting drill, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

With the team watching – and with a motive to show his players that he was completely in charge on the floor, sources said – Hollins loudly questioned Hollinger about what he was doing, and why he believed it was appropriate for a management official to intrude on what's considered sacred territory for a coach and team, sources said.

usp-nba_-washington-wizards-at-memphis-g

"Austin! Stay away from those fancy-schmancy bean-counters, y'hear me?"

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Moderators

It was someone's free throw shooting form or something? And IIRC, Hollinger wasn't doing much more than talking about how they shoot free throws and maybe even asking about pointers for himself?!?!

I'll guess it was someone like a Jon Leur.

Here was Lionel's side of the story:

(via Fox 13 Memphis)

Was there anything he could have done that would have kept him with the Grizzlies? Hollins said he's heard he was too stubborn and didn't work well with the organization, but denies that a member of management walked onto the court and instructed a player on how to play.

The real story: they were doing a drill, a kid in a corner shot a three-pointer and one of the management guys jumped out and challenged his shot from the sideline.

"The only thing that made it a big deal is that it was during practice and I reacted, I mean I went livid, just like if a player messed up in a certain setting I may go livid."

After practice was over, Hollins went up and said I'm sorry and the man apologized, too. They talked about it.

"Unfortunately it came out that I was trying to show management up but that's not what happened. There was no conversation between management, person, or the player."

It was John Hollinger.

"I have a right to react, I have a right to have an opinion but I still have an obligation to do my job. And I think I did my job after that situation happened."

~lw3

• Premium Member

I think Korver is a man of logic so I don't expect him get caught in a fan-media manufactured controversy.    I hope his mind is on winning a title and not on earning more respect from Hollins or getting oohs and aahs from the fans.

I think Korver is a man of logic so I don't expect him get caught in a fan-media manufactured controversy. I hope his mind is on winning a title and not on earning more respect from Hollins or getting oohs and aahs from the fans.

Korver doesn't give a $hit about Hollins, his opinions or his crooked fingers. Kyle is a pro.

Funny how that happens. The team`s offense is more successful when the ball goes in the hoop. Intriguing notion.

Yes, and I found another very special relation. The teams seems to win every game when they score at least one more point than the opponent...

• Like 3

Kyle Korver at shoot around today :      "  Well I guess I can take it easy  with the dead weight coaching this team today. Lionel Hollins, lol. Its not like I have to worry about a  C.O.Y.  type like Mike Budenholzer over there".........

Edited by NJHAWK

Hollins is a straight talker and right in this case. Korver is a spot up shooter, one of the best ever, but not someone you have to game plan for like Curry. Curry penetrates, shoots of the dribble, and passes. His game has many more dimensions. No reason to get hyped over these comments.

• Moderators

Hollins is a straight talker and right in this case. Korver is a spot up shooter, one of the best ever, but not someone you have to game plan for like Curry. Curry penetrates, shoots of the dribble, and passes. His game has many more dimensions. No reason to get hyped over these comments.

It is the strained logic of how he gets there that hurts my head.  "Well, he doesn't shoot 100% does he?  Until he does I'm not going to start worry too much about it."

That logic = not worry too much about every player in NBA history.  It is the equivalent of verbal diarrhea. 

• Like 1

It is the strained logic of how he gets there that hurts my head.  "Well, he doesn't shoot 100% does he?  Until he does I'm not going to start worry too much about it."

That logic = not worry too much about every player in NBA history.  It is the equivalent of verbal diarrhea. 

"Verbal diarrhea" hahaha!  Love it.

Spot on though.  Korver isn't a guy you have to game plan around like Curry is but you'd better not slack also.  Either way, I found myself confused when trying to follow Hollins' thought process.  Just a weird way to go about explaining himself.