• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ain't gonna lie....

Wretch

• Premium Member

I agree I was going to be very upset if we dropped 2 at home. But I would be more angry at the fact that it would be proving the "typical" fickle Atlanta fan right. I cringe anytime I hear an Atlantian say "well this is typical atlanta, always choking in the playoffs."

Coming from a background that believes heavily in stats and science I hate it when fans somehow attribute past occurrences of ALL Atlanta teams to the current season. So when the Hawks do struggle it irks me even more that it's making fans ever so fairweather.

We got a win and we will finally get caught up on some rest till Saturday. I think we will come back refreshed and knowledgable with film Bud has analyzed.

Man........

On top of it all, you don't know how bad I want to shut those motherf***rs up.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

...and to be clear, I really don't care too much about HOW we get wins from here on out.  I have been watching NBA Basketball since 1983 and I know the playoffs are different.  I was one of the cautious observers who held on to this very fact early in the season. 

I did think we'd sweep the Nets, but I didn't believe for one second that we'd waltz right to the Finals without a few bumps.

• Like 1

I feel you Wretch.  It's just good to know that we have a ton of room for improvement.  I would rather be 1-1 while playing poorly than be 1-1 while being on top of our game. 

Fix these 3 issues and we can win this series comfortably:

Teague's ankle.  He just hasn't been the same player over the first two games and the ankle seems to clearly be bothering him.  Here's to hoping resting til Saturday will allow the ankle to fully heal.

Horford's midrange - Horford is 3/14 from midrange and 0/2 from 3 in the first 2 games.

Korver's 3's - Korver is 7/22 from 3

All 3 of these guys have played far better than this consistently throughout the year.  We will be in the Finals if they step up and play like they can.

• Like 1

Disirregardless of how this series turns out I'm gonna be a Hawks fan but an ugly loss in round 1-2 would be humiliating. I'm quite confident that we'll put the Wizards away and then hopefully we'll be ready to play our best ball going in as underdogs to any team after that.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Disirregardless of how this series turns out I'm gonna be a Hawks fan but an ugly loss in round 1-2 would be humiliating. I'm quite confident that we'll put the Wizards away and then hopefully we'll be ready to play our best ball going in as underdogs to any team after that.

I agree with this 150%.  

• Like 1

I love this melodrama from fans. Just empty words.

Wretch's posts are rarely empty and like Duff beer are quite filling. And as he's borderline suicidal it means he's still putting all of his emotions into the team.

• Premium Member

Wretch's posts are rarely empty and like Duff beer are quite filling. And as he's borderline suicidal it means he's still putting all of his emotions into the team.

I'll never stop being a fan, but a 2nd round loss this year is unacceptable.  Honestly, it's got less to do with giving up on the team or frustration over how we play...  There are few things in my life that mean more to me than the Hawks and it has been that way for decades.  People don't understand that and I don't care.  I'm really at a loss for words to say just how embarrassing and disappointing it would be to lose this series.

I had to check out Sunday after we lost.  I had promised my kids I'd take them to see Avengers and had to miss the 2nd half of Game 1.  I was in the middle of the movie checking my phone...dumbfounded at how we lost the lead.  When I realized we lost the game I was completely zoned out.  My immediate thought was, "I have got to stop caring so much about this team."

Again, I'm not predicting gloom and doom.  I honestly can't even picture us losing the series.  But seeing the Wizards in the ECF's...with Paul Pierce....  And then having to hear it from all my friends and coworkers...like I have for 30 years...  Then top it off with having to hear the National Media...

LOL...naw.  Folks can call it what they want, but I would have to shut it down for the foreseeable future.  I'm not going to be able to deal with the disappointment this year.

• Like 3

I don't think I could ever "shut it down", but I can feel exactly what Wretch is going through. We will probably NEVER have an easier path to the ECF as we have right now. So to not reach the next round, is unacceptable. Totally unacceptable.

It reminds me of when I was a kid, and a huge Dallas Cowboys fan ( because that's about all they showed on TV in Tennessee ). In the early and mid 80s, the Cowboys were essentially the modern day Georgia Bulldogs .. a good team that could never get to the next level.

As a way too passionate pre-teen and teen, I spent way too much emotion over the Cowboys .. because they would consistently lose games they were supposed to win. It got to the point that I would rather root for the up and coming Cincinnati Bengals team ( who I adopted as my 2nd team as a result of me wanting them to beat the 49ers .. because they beat the Cowboys in the NFC title game. ) I just couldn't take them losing winnable games anymore.

Ironically, 30 years later, I'm still a Bengals fan ( and have been through hell rooting for them ), and these days, they're starting to play like those mid 80s Dallas Cowboys teams. But I'm not nearly as emotionally invested in the Bengals now, as I was as a kid rooting for the Cowboys.

So as a Hawks fan, who have seen this team for the past 8 years fight but lose to better teams in the playoffs, I feel that our time is NOW. No way they can blow their chance NOW. If they blow it now, how can any Hawks fan have any real expectations for the future?

If we can't get it done NOW, with everything damn near perfectly aligned for us ( even a John Wall injury ), when will they do it?

I won't disown the Hawks, ever. But it might push me more toward rooting for the home state Grizzlies.

Hawks simply need to play like they want to win a ring.

I'll never stop being a fan, but a 2nd round loss this year is unacceptable. Honestly, it's got less to do with giving up on the team or frustration over how we play... There are few things in my life that mean more to me than the Hawks and it has been that way for decades. People don't understand that and I don't care. I'm really at a loss for words to say just how embarrassing and disappointing it would be to lose this series.

I had to check out Sunday after we lost. I had promised my kids I'd take them to see Avengers and had to miss the 2nd half of Game 1. I was in the middle of the movie checking my phone...dumbfounded at how we lost the lead. When I realized we lost the game I was completely zoned out. My immediate thought was, "I have got to stop caring so much about this team."

Again, I'm not predicting gloom and doom. I honestly can't even picture us losing the series. But seeing the Wizards in the ECF's...with Paul Pierce.... And then having to hear it from all my friends and coworkers...like I have for 30 years... Then top it off with having to hear the National Media...

LOL...naw. Folks can call it what they want, but I would have to shut it down for the foreseeable future. I'm not going to be able to deal with the disappointment this year.

I hear you buddy. Last night when the wizards tied the game I had to turn off the TV and just stared at the TV. I shook my head in disbelief saying 'I can't believe we are going to lose 2 games at home to the Wizards, the Wizards???

Being a Hawks fan ain't no joke. I need this ECF bad.

I feel Wretch from Game 7 Nique v Bird, to the 90's Braves, to 14-2 Falcons.  It is a tough being an Atlanta fan.  I got sick to my stomach last night when I thought we were gonna lose.

People forget that it was the HAWKS who were up 3 - 2 in that 1988 Boston series. And we blew that game at the end.

• Like 2

I just read this stuff by fans all of the time. 

"I'll burn all my jerseys" - No you won't.

"I am done with this team" - No you aren't

People forget that it was the HAWKS who were up 3 - 2 in that 1988 Boston series. And we blew that game at the end.

Yup. I remember Bird saying that we had our chance and now the series is over after we blew game 6. Did I mention I despise the Celtics. To this day I refuse to wear green.

• Premium Member

I just read this stuff by fans all of the time. 

"I'll burn all my jerseys" - No you won't.

"I am done with this team" - No you aren't

Yeah...you got me confused with the typical drama-queens and knee jerkers.  In 30 years, I've never tuned the Hawks off.  I dropped the Braves and Falcons...but not the Hawks.  Had we lost last night and gone down 0-2, I would be done with the series.  If we lose this series, then they will go in the box with the rest of Atlanta Sports.