• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Consider this IMPORTANT......

JTB

Not exactly.  Ferry has said that he will sign a sure fire Star but mainly their actions are that if they can get a cheap player who plays the role well, no need to spend major money on a star player.

Last summer, we signed Baze and Thabo.  Two relatively Cheap signings for players who could do the same thing that Sap and DMC did.  Prove them self.  The statement about D12 was that they never took his recruitment that serious.  And they didn't even negotiate with Smoove.  Lastly, if you listen to the tape that Got Ferry in trouble, he balked at spending money for Melo, Gasol and Deng.  I don't have a problem with it because the proof has been proven. However, I don't see us bringing in any big money free agent unless it's somebody that really Moves the meter like CP3 or Westbrook... and even then, I have my doubts.

Do what?  He made offers to both Gasol and Deng.  

• Premium Member

Not exactly. Ferry has said that he will sign a sure fire Star but mainly their actions are that if they can get a cheap player who plays the role well, no need to spend major money on a star player.

Last summer, we signed Baze and Thabo. Two relatively Cheap signings for players who could do the same thing that Sap and DMC did. Prove them self. The statement about D12 was that they never took his recruitment that serious. And they didn't even negotiate with Smoove. Lastly, if you listen to the tape that Got Ferry in trouble, he balked at spending money for Melo, Gasol and Deng. I don't have a problem with it because the proof has been proven. However, I don't see us bringing in any big money free agent unless it's somebody that really Moves the meter like CP3 or Westbrook... and even then, I have my doubts.

The statement on D12 from who? What credible source said they didn't take their recruitment of Dwight seriously? Furthermore, they didn't negotiate with Smoove because they didn't want him and for good reason. He's not an elite or good player. And as for Gasol and Deng? It's fact that the Hawks offered both guys as much if not more money than they signed for elsewhere BEFORE they signed Baze and Thabo.

Again, I don't know where you're getting this stuff. Bud and Ferry spent years with great players in San Antonio with a winning culture. Why would they get to Atlanta and then all of sudden be dead against having top talent? The correct answer is they're not.

Edited by Jody23

• Premium Member

The Spurs have also gone into isolation in critical end of game situations, namely with Duncan and help from Ginobli. In later years, Parker has been the guy they went to, along with Duncan.

The system works, because the system is really predicated on defense, and not offense. Any free agent who is a decent offensive player, must also be able to play defense, unless he is just an outstanding offensive player.

All of those Spurs championship teams were top 3 defensive teams in the league. But they had the ability to score the basketball in critical situations. And Tim Duncan in particular has had sone absolutely monster offensive playoff games to carry the team.

All of that is true. But offensively, those guys get all that done WITHIN their pace and space style and they definitely have always moved the ball.

They are what we wanted them to be and they work well as a team. The conversation of wanting Teague to play hero ball is a knee jerk reaction to losing. When a new thing isn't working, people will always go back to the old thinkg that they know doesn't work. No matter how much success they have had with the new thing.

I look at these threads of people talking about Trade Teague, Sap, and Put ISOShroeder at PG and move Horf to PF. It's knee Jerk reaction. That's Babcockish. There's no need for us to go backwards. Recognize the situation... we are really beat up and injured. They do have Lebron. I think our coaching is getting it. Why I haven't given up on this team. IF we lose, I'm not for the fire sale that the Knee Jerkers are calling for. Yes, we need a rebounder/defender... But again, we may have that in Walter or we may be able to get that on the cheap. Howevr, all this talk about trading everybody because they don't play Hero Ball like Lebron? Backtracking and it won't work.

Couldn't agree more. We were bottom dwellers, then a inconsequential playoff team. I remember those years well and how painful they were. Now were a number one seed and in the ECF. This team overachieved almost any hope of expectation of this team and system. This team needs tweaking and some limited upgrades. They also need the psychological edge of we almost made the finals last year so this year it's Finals or nothing. The Hawks will be much more prepared mentally for this deep a playoff run next year.

Make reasonable financial decisions, add some new skill sets where they are needed, (Rebounded, defensive size, more defensive speed on the perimeter...) through smart signings. Don't start swapping pieces trying to build a NBA 2K team.

• Like 2

All of that is true. But offensively, those guys get all that done WITHIN their pace and space style and they definitely have always moved the ball.

The beauty of the Spurs is that Duncan gave them the ability to play any style of offense they wanted.

This is how great Tim Duncan is. He's AVERAGED 21 ppg - 11 rebs - 3 asst - 2 blks for his career during the playoffs. The only other player in history that can claim this, is Hakeem Olajuwon. Had blocks been kept up with back in the day, Wilt Chamberlain would probably be on this list as well. But those would be the only 3 in history that have put up those types of numbers for their playoff career.

Why would top tier free agents want to come to Atlanta?  Would it be our

record and our coaches?

No.  Really, how many Hawk players do we see on national TV doing advertising

for any product?  Think of all those players we see.  Who do they play for?  Or,

if they are former players, did they ever play for Atlanta?  No, I don't think so.

Endorsements by pro NBA, NFL and MLB totals up to big $$$.  Until Atlanta can

sell some major company on the idea of having their player or players featured

we will not be the most desirable location for any super all star.

Money talks, big time. 

Now, having said that, for those free agents below the super star, they will now

feel drawn to our Hawk team.  Everyone loves a winner and we are what our record

says that we are!

music.gif

Its the player in the NBA that gets the national endorsements not the market.  Look at Lebron in Cleveland or Durant in OKC ... probably much worse markets than Atlanta. Not saying that players wouldn't rather play in LA or NYC because of other factors but Superstars get paid regardless of location.  

We will have to see what the new owners are willing to do to attract big ticket talent.  I think they are going to have to overpay to bring in a great addition but this season certainly didn't hurt us as far as maybe showing that we are pretty close for someone looking to get a ring.  

Wow so I'm a little confused on some of the replies...but lets go on. If you can please respond.

-I noticed that many of you said yes the Hawks could realistically get one of these major free agents but you don't feel the big time free agents are worth the money that's available this summer. Is that correct?

-what major free agents would you take at a max contract and which ones wouldn't you take and why?

-are you implying that the Hawks can get back to ECF with minor improvements to the roster?

Wow so I'm a little confused on some of the replies...but lets go on. If you can please respond.

-I noticed that many of you said yes the Hawks could realistically get one of these major free agents but you don't feel the big time free agents are worth the money that's available this summer. Is that correct?

-what major free agents would you take at a max contract and which ones wouldn't you take and why?

-are you implying that the Hawks can get back to ECF with minor improvements to the roster?

I don't think the Hawks can get back to the ECF with minor improvements. While the Hawks will have learned alot during this post season there will be other teams getting better also. Hard to say which teams but remember the Hawks were seen has a team that would be glad just to make the playoffs and ended up winning the 2nd most games by an NBA team this year. Then you have Cleveland who will be stronger and the Bulls.

Who would I sign to a max deal. Gasol. I don't think Jordan fits the system and Aldridge I question how good a team player he is. I think he can take the big shot which this team needs. He might be worth a max contract. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Agree with @thescout5, more than minor improvements will be needed to back to the ECF or beyond. That said, I do think Sap and Carroll will be back. Question will be are they willing to use some of the depth on their team along with other assets to get another player of significance.

Agree with @thescout5, more than minor improvements will be needed to back to the ECF or beyond. That said, I do think Sap and Carroll will be back. Question will be are they willing to use some of the depth on their team along with other assets to get another player of significance.

In other words are they willing to take a cheaper contract?

• Like 2

• Premium Member

In other words are they willing to take a cheaper contract?

I think they'll be alot of factors besides money that will go into Sap and DMC's decisions. They both want to win, want to play important roles in doing so and I think they love the city of Atlanta.

• Premium Member

I don't think the Hawks can get back to the ECF with minor improvements. While the Hawks will have learned alot during this post season there will be other teams getting better also. Hard to say which teams but remember the Hawks were seen has a team that would be glad just to make the playoffs and ended up winning the 2nd most games by an NBA team this year. Then you have Cleveland who will be stronger and the Bulls.

Who would I sign to a max deal. Gasol. I don't think Jordan fits the system and Aldridge I question how good a team player he is. I think he can take the big shot which this team needs. He might be worth a max contract. 

bewarew of OKC.

We didnt change much from last year and went from mediocre to first.

• Premium Member

So you're saying bring back the same team in a potentially tougher east next year?

you obviously dont know how good we are.

we won 60 games and many

nights we rested our starters.  Indy didnt win 60 the year before.

i say bring up Walter, get a few shooters and bring back Dmc and Sap at reasonable prices.

• Like 1