• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bye Carroll!

LastDon

Demarre is doing too much prostituting to the media about free agency..if some idiot team wants to pay a 12 ppg player anything over 8 million the hawks should let him walk..

No way this guy should make more than Teague..I watched K. Leonard and Lebron have there way with this guy..He is a good lil player but is too light for the elite 3's..The hawks should be smart with their money..I would pay Jeff Green 10 or Gerald Green 5 before I pay Carroll over 8..

Edited by LastDon
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

If we pay Carroll/Sap 15 mil bye bye Teague/Dennis or Horford when their deals are up..

You're aware of the expected bump in the salary cap with the new TV contract next year, right?

Carroll said a teammate told him he thought he might get between $8-9 million, but now could get between $14-15 million in free agency after the season he just completed. Carroll will certainly get far more than the bargain two-year, $5 million deal he signed with the Hawks. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks, Free Agency, DeMarre Carroll 

“I think I have a lot more to come,” Carroll told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday. “I think I can be an All-Star player, like Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard. I see myself as one of those guys, but in order for me to get to being on the elite level, like Paul George, you have to be consistent. People got a glimpse of it this year. I still feel like there is work to be done. I still feel I can get better on the pick-and-rolls. I’m shooting the ball well, but I feel like I can shoot it even better. I can finish better. I can do the little things to help my teammates.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks, Free Agency, DeMarre Carroll 

“A player has few opportunities to hit the free-agent market and get a contract to take care of his family,” said Mark Bartelstein, Carroll’s agent. “However, there are a lot of elements to consider other than pure economics. The Hawks have been sensational with DeMarre’s development in so many ways. They deserve a lot of credit. At the same time, DeMarre’s work ethic and his relentless pursuit of greatness is why he continues to get better every single year, and I know it will just continue. We will weigh everything in making a great decision for DeMarre.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks, Free Agency, Mark Bartelstein, Agents, DeMarre Carroll 

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.FDjgsvW4.dpuf

Carroll said a teammate told him he thought he might get between $8-9 million, but now could get between $14-15 million in free agency after the season he just completed. Carroll will certainly get far more than the bargain two-year, $5 million deal he signed with the Hawks. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks, Free Agency, DeMarre Carroll

“I think I have a lot more to come,” Carroll told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday. “I think I can be an All-Star player, like Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard. I see myself as one of those guys, but in order for me to get to being on the elite level, like Paul George, you have to be consistent. People got a glimpse of it this year. I still feel like there is work to be done. I still feel I can get better on the pick-and-rolls. I’m shooting the ball well, but I feel like I can shoot it even better. I can finish better. I can do the little things to help my teammates.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks, Free Agency, DeMarre Carroll

“A player has few opportunities to hit the free-agent market and get a contract to take care of his family,” said Mark Bartelstein, Carroll’s agent. “However, there are a lot of elements to consider other than pure economics. The Hawks have been sensational with DeMarre’s development in so many ways. They deserve a lot of credit. At the same time, DeMarre’s work ethic and his relentless pursuit of greatness is why he continues to get better every single year, and I know it will just continue. We will weigh everything in making a great decision for DeMarre.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks, Free Agency, Mark Bartelstein, Agents, DeMarre Carroll

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.FDjgsvW4.dpuf

I love DMC but 14 million is a joke. He's a system player, if he goes to the Knicks, he's gonna be terrible. I'm fine with 8 or 9 million but no way I'd pay 14. He's not on the level of Kawhi or Jimmy But, he's just not. I guess it depends on him, does he want a huge payday from an awful team and live in misery and have to answer dumb questions by the media every night or does he want to grow in a winning system and get wide open 3's? Honestly, because he was a journeyman his entire career, I see him taking a big contract and I can't blame him. My guess is Millsap stays and DMC leaves.

I love DMC but 14 million is a joke. He's a system player, if he goes to the Knicks, he's gonna be terrible. I'm fine with 8 or 9 million but no way I'd pay 14. He's not on the level of Kawhi or Jimmy But, he's just not. I guess it depends on him, does he want a huge payday from an awful team and live in misery and have to answer dumb questions by the media every night or does he want to grow in a winning system and get wide open 3's? Honestly, because he was a journeyman his entire career, I see him taking a big contract and I can't blame him. My guess is Millsap stays and DMC leaves.

Agreed, at the start of the season I figured he would at least get double his $2.5 million dollar salary to $5mil per but with his improved play in the reg season and playoffs AND with the expected rise in the the Cap I figured he'd get at a max $10 mil per, that's right in the Trevor Ariza range. Anything more is an overpay. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Demarre must have forgot that he can't create off the dribble if he thinks he can put himself on the same level as Paul, Jimmy and Kawhi.

I love the guy but he is not on their level. I will be more than happy to eat my words if he decides to show up with some handles next season.

Truth be told he did improve some in that area. Every time he had the ball on the break last season I would watch through my fingers knowing it would end in disaster, it was a comedy of errors, lol.

This season wasn't as bad though but still comical.

I'm always puzzled why anyone would entertain a thought about a subject from someone who knows nothing about it. It's like asking a celebrity for their thoughts on stem cell research. Playing a doctor on TV doesn't give you the knowledge of a doctor to figure these things out.

This also applies to DeMarre mentioning that "other players" thought he could earn $8-9m but now it's $14-15m...huh? About the only player I have ever found to be an agent was Gilbert Arenas and he had a simple task at the time: figure out your Max and make sure those terms are in the contract. Players may be good judges of talent, but they aren't great at predicting the value to a team. If there are many cheap replacements available, well then DMC's value goes down. If there aren't, then his value rises. But this has nothing to do with how good DMC actually is, this is context.

But even more importantly, those that speak loudest on the board in defiance to a contract are usually those that don't understand the issue. And it's funny to me. If anyone cares to see what I mean, here is a thread on Korver re-signing: http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/382539-kyle-korver-re-signs-with-hawks-4-yr-24-million/ and here is one with Teague re-signing: http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/383070-teague-has-signed-a-4-year-32-million-offer-sheet-with-milwaukee/

I also remember a time when our signings of Bibby and Marvin were generally lauded as good deals. That we had got them for "under market value" or something like that. Gee, it's almost as if you shouldn't pay much mind to the internets on deciding if the deal was good or not?

Edited by hawksfanatic

• Moderators

I'm a little scared if Demarre really thinks he wants to be a player like Paul George or the others.   He's doing a great job being himself.  If he starts thinking he needs to be a big time offensive threat and score 20 a game that could be a real problem.  

• Like 2

I'm a little scared if Demarre really thinks he wants to be a player like Paul George or the others. He's doing a great job being himself. If he starts thinking he needs to be a big time offensive threat and score 20 a game that could be a real problem.

Agreed, What has made him successful is his ability to play his role and score within the offensive flow and force the issue.

I'm a little scared if Demarre really thinks he wants to be a player like Paul George or the others.   He's doing a great job being himself.  If he starts thinking he needs to be a big time offensive threat and score 20 a game that could be a real problem.  

Actually agree.  It's almost like @hawksfanatic trying to become a bawse Squawker like kg01.  Jus' can't happen.  I mean, it's not feasible.

Seriously though, all this chatter from DMC and his agent is getting out of hand.  There are guys out there that could be legit upgrades for the money he's supposedly seeking.  I wonder if we could pry Middleton out of MIL?  Hmmm.

• Premium Member

Pre-FA-signing chatter is just that. No harm, no foul. And I for one like having players who think they can be better and want to prove it. DMC never said much about it, but it almost had to irk him to be the one starter who wasn't playing in the ASG. 'Tis the season to play up your value. If not now, when (?). I've heard too much talk since he's been in ATL about the unselfishness of this team and about how much he loves playing with such a mature, intelligent group of guys... from where I sit, can't take any of these newest quotes too seriously.

Per the AJC:

Carroll said a teammate told him he thought he might get between $8-9 million, but now could get between $14-15 million in free agency after the season he just completed. Carroll will certainly get far more than the bargain two-year, $5 million deal he signed with the Hawks.

“I think I have a lot more to come,” Carroll told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday. “I think I can be an All-Star player, like Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard. I see myself as one of those guys, but in order for me to get to being on the elite level, like Paul George, you have to be consistent. People got a glimpse of it this year. I still feel like there is work to be done. I still feel I can get better on the pick-and-rolls. I’m shooting the ball well, but I feel like I can shoot it even better. I can finish better. I can do the little things to help my teammates.”

Edited by RandomFan

• Moderators

I'd be happy with bringing back Demarre at $7.5 mil per. I think that is very reasonable considering he basically playing the Tayshaun Prince/Tony Allen role on the starting lineup for us. He's a jack of all trades, but doesn't excel at anything particular.

All four of our All-Stars has a talent that they bring to the table. Teague with his speed, Korver with his threes, Sap with his versatility, and Horford with his leadership and all-round game. Demarre's play and success is solely contributed to effort. Effort guys don't get paid huge salaries.

I'd put Demarre between $6-8 mil and if he wants to wait and roll the dice to see what he gets once the new salary cap goes in effect in 2016, then offer him a two-year deal with an opt out after one year. 2 yr/$15 mil, $7.5 mil per.