• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks plan to promote Mike Budenholzer, Wes Wilcox; part ways with Danny Ferry.

pimp

I have the chance to look at everybody respond to this and I should chime in on my thoughts.

First of all without Danny Ferry, we would still be in Cap Hell with Joe Johnson contract and dealing with Marvin Williams and will not have the ability to sign DMC and Millsap. However, if he did come back to being a GM. There will be too many questions and Right now, it is best that both side should just separate and we should be fine.

Agreed without ferry there's is no bud, without bud there is no "Spurs east" and no future to be excited for, however like you mentioned I'm sure some free agents we may try to go after will have some questions about ferrys remarks and will want to have a good understanding on where this organization stands on the race issue.

So again like you mentioned why go through that instead of parting ways. I think they did a great job by just giving bud the power for this Spurs like organization they are trying to create and promoting Wilcox as the new gm who has watched ferry over the time he's been here. I appreciate ferry and wish him the best but his time is up unfortunately.

Danny Ferry sealed his fate the minute he pranced around the Hawks Facilities like his sh** didn't stink. He's a coward that's highly overrated in the gm world. Denying a statue of the man who turned this franchise into a household name just speaks of douchebaggery.

The only time the franchise has been turned into a "household name" is this season, and Mr. "I Never Met a Shot I Wouldn't Take" had absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

If free agents are so closed minded and cant think for themselves does anyone really want them here ?? Anyone with an ounce of reasoning ability knows the whole episode is pc bs. I personally want the coach to coach and the gm to do his thing - I dont want Buds attention to detail divided over player personnel matters -

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Yeah I'm actually excited that Bud can call damn near call all the shots on the roster but unlike Doc he has a GM that will probably manage the teams payroll while assisting bud in going after the guys he feels fit his system! I'm sure bud will listen to Wilcox on some different point of views but I see this as Bud going after guys he wants on this team and Wilcox handling the contracts to make it all work.

What I like about Bud is that our coach of the year is not clueless! He is aware of our strengths and weaknesses and that says a lot because I never thought woody or LD were aware of our real weaknesses. That's not to say bud won't bring back the same team cause I'm sure he will but I'm sure he has a plan to fix the weaknesses that this team has....are we really going to doubt bud a 18 year top assistant head coach for coach Pop? Bud knows this Spurs system like the back of his hand! Helol Pop is on record saying he has had a major part in how they play offensively today versus the Robinson/Duncan days.

Sorry to be long but I just believe bud knows what's best for this Spurs like system the Hawks are running and I can't see him being over whelmed by having more power especially watching Pop handle it for so long. As long as he's been apart of this system he's going to know right off the bat what players fit and what players don't fit. He understands talent and he's knowledgeable on how to develop players. He has seen how the Spurs front office works, he's seen how pop handles his coaching staff. Being with the Spurs for so long has granted that man knowledge over a ton of coaches! He sat back and sucked in all that good knowledge from the smartest organization in the NBA over almost the last 20 years....Hawks are blessed to have such a smart coach! Dare I say he will be a hall of fame coach one day if he ever gets the talent he need. what are we worried about?

i hope you are right but Bud's history as interim GM has not supported your claims

i hope you are right but Bud's history as interim GM has not supported your claims

Lol how so? Please elaborate

Bud wasn't going to make changes when the team was coming off a 19-0 streak right before the trade deadline. Why change and go into panic mode just make changes when the team was playing at an all time high.

The truth is that we haven't seen bud in position with this much power when it really matters. The Payne trade is nothing that's going to haunt us. The daye signing was a move that we needed some insurance because we had several players getting hurt down the stretch and daye happen to be a player on the market that had experience with the Spurs way of basketball and was cheap.

I'm not trying to hype bud up as this great decision maker I'm just saying for someone who's seen how it works....how can he be bad at it? Just like he saw how pop coach, he sucked in all that knowledge and was this years coach of the year. I'm sure he watched pop as he went about his president duties as well while working along side gm RC Buford on how to run the team.

I just believe bud has shown that he can take after others well (which others in his past with Spurs is a great thing) and don't see him handicapping this team in any kind of way.

But I've been wrong before....however I've been right about bud before it was even rumored he would be the Hawks coach.

For all of you A-Holes out there, always remember this:

When something goes down that you're involved in, don't expect the people that you dogged, to have your back. You'll end up like Victor Sweets in the movie Four Brothers ... thrown under the ice in Lake Michigan.

Just wish that dude would've apologized to the fans and did a rafio or TV interview, instead of hiding like a coward. Maybe when he interviews for his next NBA job, he'll address what all went on.

Anyway ... Congrats to Bud and Wes. Now, go get us some solid players and bring a Championship to the ATL.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 3

It's good to have some continuity especially after the season the Hawks had. When I first heard the news, I wasn't a fan of it seeing how Bud gave up on Payne in less than a year then sign Austin Daye and don't even play him yet give him an extension.

However, although Ferry was a good GM with his trades and signing key vets to budget and frontloaded contracts, one thing Ferry really didn't do a good job since he been in ATL is draft well in the 1st round which is something Bud may be good in.

I'm listening, but so far, I'm not reading anything that actually substantively supports this idea that there was more than the Deng thing that drove Ferry out. Just b/c front office people don't like you doesn't get it done. Ferry almost certainly had the full support of the two guys who the new owners have handed the keys to... suggesting pretty clearly, to me anyway, that were it not for this hiccup on Ferry's watch, there was no inclination for the owners to want to go another way.

Article is posted SHOWING that Ferry and Gearon didnt mesh from THE START, that Ferry WAVERED on joining the Hawks because of it, and YOU still not reading anything???????? Then, YOU YOURSELF say " just because front office people dont like you"" duh.............You CANT be no more FRONT OFFICE than Gearon, A OWNER..........

robert-de-niro-boss3.gif

Edited by atlhawks1

Lol how so? Please elaborate

Bud wasn't going to make changes when the team was coming off a 19-0 streak right before the trade deadline. Why change and go into panic mode just make changes when the team was playing at an all time high.

The truth is that we haven't seen bud in position with this much power when it really matters. The Payne trade is nothing that's going to haunt us. The daye signing was a move that we needed some insurance because we had several players getting hurt down the stretch and daye happen to be a player on the market that had experience with the Spurs way of basketball and was cheap.

I'm not trying to hype bud up as this great decision maker I'm just saying for someone who's seen how it works....how can he be bad at it? Just like he saw how pop coach, he sucked in all that knowledge and was this years coach of the year. I'm sure he watched pop as he went about his president duties as well while working along side gm RC Buford on how to run the team.

I just believe bud has shown that he can take after others well (which others in his past with Spurs is a great thing) and don't see him handicapping this team in any kind of way.

But I've been wrong before....however I've been right about bud before it was even rumored he would be the Hawks coach.

Trading Payne and having Pero Antić HEAVY in the rotation is about the most bone headed thing ive ever seen a Coach/General Manager do in the NBA and EVERYBODY knows it.  People can keep trying to spice up the garbage that is Pero Antić, but it aint happening......

461776020-toronto-raptors-james-johnson-

Edited by atlhawks1

• Moderators

The only time the franchise has been turned into a "household name" is this season, and Mr. "I Never Met a Shot I Wouldn't Take" had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Well that's just not even remotely true.   Nique was a superstar.  Dunk competitions, all star games. Hell he's the only superstar we've had.   They were showing highlights of UGA games on the local news when nique was there which meant for half the games they had to send a news camera crew to film it.   

You can say what you want about Nique's game but the attention and the fans he brought to the Hawks can't be overstated. 

• Like 3

Well that's just not even remotely true.   Nique was a superstar.  Dunk competitions, all star games. Hell he's the only superstar we've had.   They were showing highlights of UGA games on the local news when nique was there which meant for half the games they had to send a news camera crew to film it.   

You can say what you want about Nique's game but the attention and the fans he brought to the Hawks can't be overstated. 

What? Wait,?, somebody ACTUALLY said that Nique was basically nothing on the Hawks landscape?????????? lmao

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 2

Trading Payne and having Pero Antić HEAVY in the rotation is about the most bone headed thing ive ever seen a Coach/General Manager do in the NBA and EVERYBODY knows it.  People can keep trying to spice up the garbage that is Pero Antić, but it aint happening......

Budz isn't an idiot.  Payne couldn't help us.  Trading him was no big deal.  We all see that Pero's spot needs upgrading and it's probably why Payne was drafted.  Since the pick was a miss, Budz's hand was forced.

Budz isn't an idiot.  Payne couldn't help us.  Trading him was no big deal.  We all see that Pero's spot needs upgrading and it's probably why Payne was drafted.  Since the pick was a miss, Budz's hand was forced.

Im still trying to figure out WHY Payne was suppose to be a bust. Dude showed out up in Minnesota.  He didnt get any playing time with the Hawks to show he was a bust. Im not buying the propaganda. Pero brings NOTHING, so keeping Payne wouldnt have been a big deal... 

IN fact, Payne can teach Pero how to:

REBOUND:

Payne-2015-Rebound.jpg

Edited by atlhawks1

• Premium Member

461776020-toronto-raptors-james-johnson-

Wasn't a fan of trading Payne for what would be, almost certainly at-best, essentially the same draft slot delayed a couple of years.

Not a big fan of Antić, by any stretch.

But more soberly, there are degrees of disagreement one can have with GMs and coaches, and to call those two decisions "boneheaded" that "everyone" acknowledges as such is over the top.

Im still trying to figure out WHY Payne was suppose to be a bust. Dude showed out up in Minnesota.  He didnt get any playing time with the Hawks to show he was a bust. Im not buying the propaganda. Pero brings NOTHING, so keeping Payne wouldnt have been a big deal... 

REBOUND:

"Showed out"?  No.  Was a decent big?  Maybe.

MN does different things than we did both offensively and defensively.  Maybe Payne took to what they were doing where he couldn't really take to what we were doing.  We did win 60 games.  Saying Payne needed all this playing time now is akin to Warriors fans nitpicking Kerr's rotations in the regular season.  Why?

Look, Pero was arguably our 3rd best player in round 1.  Is he my favorite player?  Absolutely not, but let's stop being overly critical of that one guy.  We all agree that spot needs to be upgraded but to say he brings "nothing" is simply false.

"Showed out"?  No.  Was a decent big?  Maybe.

MN does different things than we did both offensively and defensively.  Maybe Payne took to what they were doing where he couldn't really take to what we were doing.  We did win 60 games.  Saying Payne needed all this playing time now is akin to Warriors fans nitpicking Kerr's rotations in the regular season.  Why?

Look, Pero was arguably our 3rd best player in round 1.  Is he my favorite player?  Absolutely not, but let's stop being overly critical of that one guy.  We all agree that spot needs to be upgraded but to say he brings "nothing" is simply false.

Im gonna say this again. This is about CHIPS.........This isnt about "just getting it done." Cleveland SHOWED that you HAVE to have a monster on the boards. Mosgov and Thompson just destroyed the Hawks front line. Heck, New Orleans, had they been in the Eastern Conference, wouldve sent the Hawks packing in the first round because they couldnt stop Anthony Davis during the regular season.

Im soo critical of Pero because the Hawks, in my opinion, were ONE REAL big away from a championship. Pero had THAT spot. Thats why im so critical of him. I dont want no just getting by,player, we need a REAL difference maker. Im upset because as smart as Bud/Ferry, Wes, the ball boy, whoever, makes the decisions, they should have saw how close the Hawks were and made a move to get a rebounder/ rim protector.

The Hawks been in Atlanta since 1970, so excuse me if im a little inpatient with that franchise. Always rebuilding, starting over, all that, when the chip was THERE for the taking this year. It was THERE. They couldve beat Golden State because one thing a basketball team hates, is to defend another team that plays exactly like them.

Next year, the East is gonna be tougher and they have had a year of film under their belt to dissect what the Hawks are all about............Trotting scrubs out there again under the guise of " spreading the floor, nuances, analytics" and all that, isnt gonna cut it.......

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

REBOUND:

I have to think, if there were some way for Budcox to have anticipated the avalanche of injuries the team would experience over the last weeks of the season, Payne would have been kept. He likely would have come in handy when Scott went down, in particular.

As for Antić, he is a conundrum wrapped in a mystery. For all of his lack of stats that bear out that he's productive, in the end, he's somehow still a common piece in the most productive five-man sets we have (per 82games). I call him Mr. Intangbles for that reason. I don't know what he does that's all that individually effective, but he's a common denominator in team effectiveness.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know we were trying to clear a spot for Ray Allen but Shump and JR were traded for essentially nothing, Gary Neal and Kevin Martin were there on the twolves.  Why not try to bring something back that would bolster us for the playoffs this season.  It's not like we were a long shot to make waves in the playoffs.  We were the damn #2 team in basketball.