• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

I can honestly say I have no idea what THJR's game is or isn't. All I know about him is he's Tim Sr's son, he played well as a rookie, didn't play last year (well nobody on the Knicks did)...I will reserve my judgement until I see him play with the Hawks.

I must say I'm loving the meltdown and the ranting and raving.....can't wait for free agency for more of the same. Lol.

This may actually be the best post in this thread. Edited by ATLSmith

• Premium Member

Come to think of it, maybe the Hawks should flush all their picks away with this history. Trade firsts for double digit scorers on rookie contracts from one of the two worst teams in the league with horrible coaching. Call it drafting from the NBA, instead of the NBA draft.

No kidding, I think this is a rational strategy that will get more and more play with NBA teams as long as the 1-and-done rule continues to exist. In any given year, there are only so many sure things (ie, in terms of actual starting or rotation contributors). And for playoff teams, it does make some sense to invest conservatively rather than in what amounts to "emerging markets."

• Premium Member

I watched him play in NY, he can get better. He probably could be the Hawks' version of Ginobli if he buys into Coach Bud

Everything I'm reading suggests there's some raw material there to work with. Even defensively, I'm reading that there's some reason for optimism. Again, I'm not going to try to oversell this. It's not nearly what I would have thought we'd have gotten for #15, but I just have to trust that, of the offers made, this was the most appealing to Bud, and that I have to respect his opinion above my own.

• Premium Member

My main question is whether Bud perceives that Hardaway can be developed into a combo guard. Based on what I've reviewed, he seems to have the court vision for it, but of course, there's a lot more to it than that.

My main question is whether Bud perceives that Hardaway can be developed into a combo guard. Based on what I've reviewed, he seems to have the court vision for it, but of course, there's a lot more to it than that.

I'm thinking Mack plus one of the plethora of 2nd rounders might be on the move to a team in need of a backup PG.

If this team never wins a title under Bud, these blown first rounders are going to hurt significantly.It's obvious some folks on here aren't thinking from this standpoint or else they wouldn't be damage controlling.

We simply aren't talented enough to be throwing away first rounders. I don't care how many games Atlanta won last season.  We aren't the Spurs or Warriors. Deep teams with elite talent and a star player. We need all the help we can get with the unconventional way this team is built. Three drafts in a row with questionable first round picks is unacceptable. Period.

And I find it hard to believe the only way the Hawks could  acquire Tim Hardaway Jr. was by using a first round pick. That man was terrible last season.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

If this team never wins a title under Bud, these blown first rounders are going to hurt significantly.It's obvious some folks on here aren't thinking from this standpoint or else they wouldn't be damage controlling.

We simply aren't talented enough to be throwing away first rounders. I don't care how many games Atlanta won last season.  We aren't the Spurs or Warriors. Deep teams with elite talent and a star player. We need all the help we can get with the unconventional way this team is built. Three drafts in a row with questionable first round picks is unacceptable. Period.

And I find it hard to believe the only way the Hawks could  acquire Tim Hardaway Jr. was by using a first round pick. That man was terrible last season.

We are absolutely going to look back at this trade and hate it. I'm thinking Shellhead hate.

I really think you can throw most of THJ's numbers from last year out. He was playing for a totally dysfunctional team. The Knicks were terrible on defense as a team. Hard to have good D-Efficiency when the help defense is non existent and half the team quits trying. He was also playing in a poorly executed triangle offense with no center to anchor the triangle and demand interior help. If the point of the triangle is a non factor the wing had to carry the load and will not have midrange spacing to facilitate a drive or midrange pull up game. TMJ was asked to do WAY more in NYC than he was capable of at the time. I can see why if his options inside the offense are limited but he has to score that he started chucking threes.

He is young and can grow his game. We know he can at least be a rotational player in the NBA. Any pick in our range that's all you really hope for. With our system to open floor space and help defense he could really improve and maybe show the potential from when he was first team all rookie season.

Not saying we just got our SG for the next 5 years that will torch the league but we got an experienced NBA player for less money than a totally unproven rookie (our experience with pics here hasn't been stellar either).

Trade made sense financially. Bud probably didn't like anybody available in our spots as he definitely saw more of them than any of us.

I am willing to give THJ the chance to show what he can do and bring to our second unit.

We also stashed 2nd rounders which rarely amount to much but can be ammunition to move up in a future draft if we really want a player and hopefully we will be picking late for the foreseeable future.

The added depth also may allow us to be players in the sign and trade and straight up trade market. I think everyone should at least wait and see how this plays out before declaring our future ruined over not taking an college SF's that all had on obvious holes in their game or they would be lottery picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That first rounder could have easily be a bust. You guys act like we have a history of putting together first round picks that were steller.... Really?

Have you forgotten Marvin, Acie Law, Salim, Damion Jones John Jenkins, Shelden Williams, Josh Childress, Cal Bowdler, Dion Glover, Jumaine Jones Roshown McLeod, Ed Gray, etc.

In fact, over the last 30 years (1985 -2015), we have had 29 first round picks. Of those... Only JT, Teague, Horf, Smith, and Schröder were worth a damn. And nobody here would want Smith back...

4/29 = 14%.

Teague, JT, and Horf were lottery picks.

But you are calling a midround 1st a sure thing... Like we lost the savior of the franchise?? Really??

As you are picking up your pieces of the sky that has fallen, please remember that Bud got this.

I fixed it for you, Diesel so the numbers sink in a little deeper. When you factor in the last 30 years, this team's drafting history is hysterically bad. Stinks out loud bad. Insanely bad. Criminally bad.

While I'm not a fan of the deal either, there is no guarantee that the guy they would've gotten would've turned into anything more than the scrubs they pick every year anyway. I really don't know what to make out of Hardaway other than he's had a chance to play; on a crappy team no doubt, but nonetheless. But I do know this; a year ago, I was tearing this team a new one for only being able to bring in Thabo and Bazemore and looked like a jackass as they helped the Hawks win 19 straight, which was a feat no one on this board saw coming. I'm going to withhold judgment on any moves this team makes until it plays out on the court this time around. I strongly suggest that everyone else does the same, if not to just keep your sanity...

We are absolutely going to look back at this trade and hate it. I'm thinking Shellhead hate.

If Atlanta wins a title soon, nobody is going to care. The problem is that history shows a team constructed like the Hawks probably wont. The last team that did it without a star player was that Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton Pistons team and they did it with elite defense. A defense that gave a Kobe/Shaq team trouble.

I'm telling yall, these blown drafts are going to haunt this franchise if they never win a ship. This nonchalant attitude this team has with the draft is mind boggling. It was prevalent with Ferry and it's remained with Budcox. I just don't understand it.

• Like 1

I haven't seen @AHF this pissy about a draft pick since he bitched the entire night/week when the Hawks picked Mike Scott over Darius Miller. Then the complaints moved onto how the Hawks didn't buy a draft pick and get someone like Perry Jones or Quincy Miller. And the whole time he was praising the Doron Lamb, Marquis Teague, and Terrence Jones picks.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2012.html

Anyone catch a theme here? (hint hint, Kentucky played Baylor in the NCAA tourney that year)

I guess being right about one NBA quality player (the 18th pick) out of the 7 mentioned players is a good batting average?

Or maybe, just MAYBE, it's too soon for anyone to get their panties all bunched up over a non-lottery 1st round pick?

• Moderators

I'm not mad at us getting THJ but I don't understand how we got finessed into giving up the 19th pick for him.

Because the NBA draft is that big of a joke nowadays. No real value at that point and after the first five picks, drafting is like throwing darts into a dark room. 15th pick, 19th pick... Who cares. Hardaway has NBA experience which no other player in the draft has. If anything, this is a good sign that the Hawks want to win now and will be targeting top free agents in a week.

• Premium Member

The word absolutely is key to me.

There's a certain swagger that sometimes I think sports fans in general exhibit that's a bit like watching Lenny and Squiggy chat up all of their sexual conquests.

I'm not denying that we might look back on this trade and hate it. But what I'm lock-certain-of is that when we start using terms like "absolutely," we edge into the deep end.

A bit of humility as-if we understand our place in contrast to Bud's place I think goes a long way toward sobriety in this and situations like it.

Just sayin.

• Like 4