• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Detroit targeting Demarre Carroll in FA

GameTime

• Premium Member

Man, i dug into this and found out the Hawks have Early Bird exceptions on both of them. They CAN go over the cap to sign both of them, but in a limited capacity. The problem is the max that they could offer DMC under the Early Bird exception would not be enough. No wonder teams are coming after him hard. Looks like its gonna be Milsap signing and DMC leaving in free agency......

The hawks would be the 4th seed in the east if they Signed Millsap rather than Mark Gasol or LA this off season

Man, i dug into this and found out the Hawks have Early Bird exceptions on both of them. They CAN go over the cap to sign both of them, but in a limited capacity. The problem is the max that they could offer DMC under the Early Bird exception would not be enough. No wonder teams are coming after him hard. Looks like its gonna be Milsap signing and DMC leaving in free agency......

Yup...which why sap won't get resigned until dmc is takin care of I believe.

But I'm trying to figure out if the Hawks can use the early bird rights on sap whenever they want to or not? Like does the early bird contract count against the cap space that is available?

Edited by JTB

I feel differently than many of you guys when it comes to resigning our own FAs. I actually feel we need to upgrade some spots in the starting lineup. I'm not against resigning DMC I just feel like if his market value is 12 million a season we can find "another guy" just like DMC was when they signed him two years ago. If you're going to spend that kind of money I think you can get a better overall player.

• Like 2

• Moderators

But I'm trying to figure out if the Hawks can use the early bird rights on sap whenever they want to or not? Like does the early bird contract count against the cap space that is available?

As long as they don't renounce Sap, they will have both the roster charge against the cap and Early Bird rights (unless he signs elsewhere).

I feel differently than many of you guys when it comes to resigning our own FAs. I actually feel we need to upgrade some spots in the starting lineup. I'm not against resigning DMC I just feel like if his market value is 12 million a season we can find "another guy" just like DMC was when they signed him two years ago. If you're going to spend that kind of money I think you can get a better overall player.

I don't think the logic holds that if the market determines that a player of DeMarre's caliber is worth 12 million that you can then find a better player for the same investment. If the price of Snickers goes to $50 I don't see how Godiva remains at $50. It stands to reason that they'd feel that their value should exceed that amount, no?
  • Like 1

Yes, it counts against the cap space. The only thing the Bird rules do is ALLOW teams to go over the cap to sign its own free agents, but with various limitations according to which type of Bird exception they use.

Edited by atlhawks1

Yes, it counts against the cap space. The only thing the Bird rules do is ALLOW teams to go over the cap to sign its own free agents, but with various limitations according to which type of Bird exception they use.

After looking into this, if i were the Hawks and thought they could make a serious run at Aldridge would be to renounce Millsap and concentrate on DMC.

Edited by atlhawks1

The hawks would be the 4th seed in the east if they Signed Millsap rather than Mark Gasol or LA this off season

I would rather they sign DMC and renounce Millsap if they can make a serious run at Aldridge. I dont think Gasol really wants to come to Atlanta.

Al-Forouq Aminu, anyone?

I was really impressed with Aminu in the playoffs. I am not sure he can immediately replace DMC though. Maybe better suited as a Thabo replacement.

Half the cost of DMC...

I don't think the logic holds that if the market determines that a player of DeMarre's caliber is worth 12 million that you can then find a better player for the same investment. If the price of Snickers goes to $50 I don't see how Godiva remains at $50. It stands to reason that they'd feel that their value should exceed that amount, no?

That's why you should sign "just another guy" which DMC was at the time versus overpaying for a guy the market sets a bad value for.