• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2015 Free Agency: Optimistically but realistically what we might anticipate

sturt

• Premium Member

My sense is that Pero values himself more than $1.5m at this point in his life. Whether that be in Europe or with another NBA team. So I think that risk of him taking a one year $1.5m contract is low enough that you move forward with this.

Plus, is it really a bad thing if you get Pero under contract for $1.5m? I know there's a large section of the fan base that would be up in arms because they think Pero sucks and can't do anything. But their opinion doesn't matter. It's about what we think the Hawks will do. And it seems pretty evident to me that Bud and Wes like him. And further, we know Dan Rosenbaum is part of the analytics department and he loves plus-minus stats. Pero is pretty good there. So I'd figure his value to the Hawks is more than $1.5m and they tender it.

That is a good price for Pero, indeed... but, here's the other way I think of it... if it comes with the condition that it has implications to DMC resigning, it's kinda analogous to saying, "I know my grocery shopping receipt is about 20% more at Kroger's, but don't you see?... I can get 10 cents off per gallon of gas because I shop there!"

And I get it that Pero might value himself more, and would not be willing to take it... but, in the bigger picture, is that a risk that's all that important for us to take?

If we are serious about retaining DMC and if you truly think the market for him is in that $11-12m range, I don't see it. If DMC is the priority, then you make decisions based on that and you don't play around with the Pero thing. Then again, maybe he's not the priority that I/we assume he is.

Just glad to know there's a decision point coming right up that might inform the whole question.

I'm in favor of whatever it will take to beat LeBron and dem. Not getting to the Finals if you can't beat them. However, I antcipate the Hawks will go to great lengths to keep Sap and DMC, even if it means moving Shelvin and/or Scott. I also think they will bring back Pero. They will try to sell continuity.

True. A healthy Hawks team would have gave the Cavs problems. Carroll and Millsap were playing banged up and Thabo and Korver were missed. Scott got to go. Just like how Bud played Dennis over Lou during the 2013-14, it's time to get rid of Scott now.

If the Hawks had to pick somebody to keep, pay Carroll whatever it takes.

Supes that would be wonderful, but in the real world, how would you propose we deal with a $67.1m salary cap to actually end up with that?

I didn't say both, if we came out with just one of them, I am okay with that. 

Sorry, I just can't get excited to overpay DMC and Millsap to retain status quo.  That team wasn't good enough to win it all this year, and it won't be next year either.  An undersized center and an undersized PF does not make for a championship combo.  Before you start making comments about injuries, that is just a part of the game.  Who's to say we won't have the same or more injuries next season?  We have got to get some rebounding help.  Improved scoring is needed as well.  I am now reconsidering whether I was giving Ferry too much credit, as it seems to me we are now in a pickle.

Maybe so. But you aren't answering the question, now are you. Let me put it this way. Perhaps it's an error on the part of Hawks HQ to subscribe to the SA philosophy due to the lack of those two things. But regardless of whether it is an error on their part, is it your belief that they are nonetheless embracing the SA philosophy, or is it your belief that that's overblown?

Nothing wrong with keeping the same players if you ADD to that mix, the players you NEED. My problem with the Hawks is they appear to wanna either keep what they got, or replace them. San Antonio HAS players that can take them all the way, the Hawks dont.

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

True. A healthy Hawks team would have gave the Cavs problems. Carroll and Millsap were playing banged up and Thabo and Korver were missed. Scott got to go. Just like how Bud played Dennis over Lou during the 2013-14, it's time to get rid of Scott now.

I disagree on the part about giving the Cavs fits. We have to remember the Cavs were essentially without their second and third best players and still swept the Hawks. Tying themselves to the same core of this team for the next several years won't make the team substantially better imo.
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I disagree on the part about giving the Cavs fits. We have to remember the Cavs were essentially without their second and third best players and still swept the Hawks. Tying themselves to the same core of this team for the next several years won't make the team substantially better imo.

Edited by Peoriabird
  • Like 1

100% correct. Attributing the Hawks lack of success to injuries in the playoffs is simply wrong. Yes it had something to do with the poor play but TALENT was the main reason the Hawks failed and got swept. bringing back the same team won't get the Hawks to the promised land. Trying to find a way to upgrade at least is striving to get better and give some hope.

NOBODY is suppose to cut or traded away etc. from that Hawks roster BEFORE Pero Antić. This is the first time ive said it, but it is what it is: POLITICS is what keeps Pero Antić on that team. 

• Premium Member

Nothing wrong with keeping the same players if you ADD to that mix, the players you NEED. My problem with the Hawks is they appear to wanna either keep what they got, or replace them. San Antonio HAS players that can take them all the way, the Hawks dont.

All well-taken, and unless I'm missing something, you agree that the Hawks are, indeed, invested in the SA philosophy--albeit, by your assessment, not very well.

But the question then comes back to you... what if the players they wanna keep are players they believe they need? What if, to their SA-philosophy-minds, they believe in the core they have and are not inclined to believe it is in their best interests to reconstruct the roster?

Here's the thing I would say to that, and to all of the rest of those fixated on the fact we bowed out in the ECF this year, and who are absolutely convinced that that was this roster's ceiling... go back and review the Spurs history... here's what you'll find...

2015-06-29_1347.png

To the point that CLE was also playing without starters, I acknowledge that, but so, then, what do we know about when BOTH teams DID have their starting line-up at full-strength?

11/15 CLE 127 | ATL 94 > CLE full-strength, ATL w/o DeMarre Carroll

12/17 ATL 127 | CLE 98 > CLE w/o Mike Miller, ATL w/o Jeff Teague

12/30 ATL 109 | CLE 101 > CLE w/o LeBron James, ATL w/o Al Horford

3/6 ATL 106 | CLE 97 > Both teams full-strength

We can argue "yeah, but that's regular season." We can argue "yeah, but one of those wins was without LBJ, or it would have been 2 for each."

What we CAN'T argue is that WHAT WE KNOW at minimum is consistent with the conclusion that, when full-strength, Atlanta is Cleveland's equal... and the data that we KNOW says that they're better.

What the playoffs told us for a fact is that there are certain combinations of Cleveland players and certain combinations of Atlanta players that, if forced to take the floor, will result in Cleveland wins and Atlanta losses.

And, I would opine based on that... we really have no business thinking about any major reconstruction of this roster if we can possibly keep from it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

NOBODY is suppose to cut or traded away etc. from that Hawks roster BEFORE Pero Antić. This is the first time ive said it, but it is what it is: POLITICS is what keeps Pero Antić on that team. 

Politics. Explain, please. Who is exerting this political pressure to keep him on the roster, and for what motive? International politics... Macedonia is somehow (money under the table?... holding one of Bud's relatives hostage?...) exerting influence in order to... ummm... I dunno... maybe they think they can turn Antić popularity into tourism? Or, do you mean office politics? Someone has some dirt on Bud, and Antić' roster slot amounts to compensation to keep quiet?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

http://hoopshype.com/rumor/lakers-wont-pick-up-jordan-hill-option/

Question to Capologists:

Can we somehow sign Jordan Hill for, say,  the 9M Lakers are refusing to pay him, prior to signing Millsap and Carroll, going over the cap?

Everybody wants Gasol, but I feel Hill would be a good pickup (boards and blocks)

Politics. Explain, please. Who is exerting this political pressure to keep him on the roster, and for what motive? International politics... Macedonia is somehow (money under the table?... holding one of Bud's relatives hostage?...) exerting influence in order to... ummm... I dunno... maybe they think they can turn Antić popularity into tourism? Or, do you mean office politics? Someone has some dirt on Bud, and Antić' roster slot amounts to compensation to keep quiet?

@sturt you pretty much nailed it - all of the above. He has an unhealthy obsession with Pero. Can't go 1 day with mentioning him.

Question to Capologists:

Can we somehow sign Jordan Hill for, say, the 9M Lakers are refusing to pay him, prior to signing Millsap and Carroll, going over the cap?

Everybody wants Gasol, but I feel Hill would be a good pickup (boards and blocks)

I wanted him last season, so I'm on board with him as an alternate.

• Premium Member

Question to Capologists:

Can we somehow sign Jordan Hill for, say,  the 9M Lakers are refusing to pay him, prior to signing Millsap and Carroll, going over the cap?

I'm not a capologist, but I play one on TV...

No, we can't.