• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Doing the math

sturt

• Premium Member

(previous post erroneous... sorry... that's what I get for doing math too quick...)

2015-16: $18.8 million

2016-17: $19.646 million

2017-18: $20.492 million (player option)

Edited by sturt
  • Like 3

By my spreadsheet, we're at 68.8m... the projected cap is 67.1.

We're probably done, unless there's some other trade out there that we're pursuing.

Tiago has a trade kicker, so bummer.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/7/1/8878025/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-situation-paul-millsap-tiago-splitter

(should be right)

(Also, I don't believe the reported value of Millsap's contract yet. Salary Cap isn't set, sooooooo....)

How much cap do we have left?

HAWKS FANS...GET OUT OF THE ATLANTA SPIRIT MANAGEMENT GROUP Thinking

Our owner already said he is willing to pay the luxury tax to bring a contender to ATLANTA...

A good offseason so far, we need a SF though to really make this a great one, and of course we need to keep Milsap

Edited by wolvetigers

HAWKS FANS...GET OUT OF THE ATLANTA SPIRIT MANAGEMENT GROUP Thinking

Our owner already said he is willing to pay the luxury tax to bring a contender to ATLANTA...

A good offseason so far, we need a SF though to really make this a great one, and of course we need to keep Milsap

Spending the money to go over the cap when you have your own free agents and their bird rights to pay in order to do that is one thing. But you can't spend over the cap when you aren't in that position, and we aren't. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much Ressler may WANT to pay, he's restricted in doing so by the rules of the salary cap for this season.

Where Ressler paying over the cap will become useful is in future seasons when we have to resign Horford, Dennis, Muscala, and all the rest of our players still on team friendly contracts. But it helps us exactly none this season.

• Premium Member

I perceive Bazemore and Mack are more vulnerable myself. Either one could bring a rookie scale contract player in return of some kind, or if dealt together, someone playing on an MLE.

Early money is on Richard Jefferson signing a minimum salary with us.

Shamsports has both Scott and Mack as non-guaranteed contracts for the final years of their deals.  If so, they're both essentially expiring contracts and should be tradable.

Really good point.

Edited by RandomFan

I perceive Bazemore and Mack are more vulnerable myself. Either one could bring a rookie scale contract player in return of some kind, or if dealt together, someone playing on an MLE.

Early money is on Richard Jefferson signing a minimum salary with us.

Really good point.

I think Scott is by far the more likely trade bait candidate with his $3.3m salary and putrid play. Highly doubt Baze is going anywhere. Keep in mind that Thabo and Baze are our only 2 defensive wings now with DMC gone. And Baze is on a cheap contract with still a lot of potential growth. What sucks is that he's on the same type of 2 year contract we just lost DMC on...

• Premium Member

I think Scott is by far the more likely trade bait candidate with his $3.3m salary and putrid play. Highly doubt Baze is going anywhere. Keep in mind that Thabo and Baze are our only 2 defensive wings now with DMC gone. And Baze is on a cheap contract with still a lot of potential growth. What sucks is that he's on the same type of 2 year contract we just lost DMC on...

I'm just not persuaded that Bud considers Scott's play putrid, and in fact, though, for the very same reason, I think you're correct that Scott is marketable.

I'm just not persuaded that Bud considers Scott's play putrid, and in fact, though, for the very same reason, I think you're correct that Scott is marketable.

For our sake I hope you are right. Otherwise, Teague is the only trade assett we have that wouldn't be purely a salary dump, and a player we could actually get something back for.

Spending the money to go over the cap when you have your own free agents and their bird rights to pay in order to do that is one thing. But you can't spend over the cap when you aren't in that position, and we aren't. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much Ressler may WANT to pay, he's restricted in doing so by the rules of the salary cap for this season.

Where Ressler paying over the cap will become useful is in future seasons when we have to resign Horford, Dennis, Muscala, and all the rest of our players still on team friendly contracts. But it helps us exactly none this season.

Thanks for posting this, you can tell who has a basic understanding of salary cap and resigning own free agents. If I see one more complaint or question about how Cleveland can sign Love and Thompson and Shumpert but the Hawks can't I think I'll have a stroke.

On one hand they complain about that then complain about resigning Sap.