• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tiago vs Pero

thecampster

Splitter is a 100% upgrade from Pero last year. Pero fid absolutely nothing that we need from a big man. Rebounds, Block Shots or even be an Inside presence. To top it off he wasn't even doing good with the shots he took the most (3's) so it will be a welcomed change to not be playing 4 on 5 when our backup big is on the court.

Damn can we let the guy return to Europe without tearing him down even more? The guy is gone and the board still insist on tearing him down. Smhh

• Like 3

Damn can we let the guy return to Europe without tearing him down even more? The guy is gone and the board still insist on tearing him down. Smhh

Sorry bro.. I do not play the p.c. game and call it like I see it.. If it was not the trash of Pero's shot selection that burnt his own playing time , then what was it exactly?

All Pero could really do was set screens and pump fake.

Sorry bro.. I do not play the p.c. game and call it like I see it.. If it was not the trash of Pero's shot selection that burnt his own playing time , then what was it exactly?

Oooh.. Not bad

• Premium Member

Splitter is getting $9 million. That's starter money. I'm not sure comparing the two is fair.

IMO we could have gotten a similar backup for much less, freeing us to go after a starting SF.

people compare Teague to top point guards constantly but since Tiago will fill Pero's role as the 1st big off the bench, the comparison is fair.

Splitter is getting $9 million. That's starter money. I'm not sure comparing the two is fair.

IMO we could have gotten a similar backup for much less, freeing us to go after a starting SF.

$9 million isn't starter money anymore in this era of the NBA. Getting Splitter for NOTHING was an absolute boss move

pero was a great teammate... his bbiq was pretty good.  he was a fun guy to have on the team.  but he wasn't a star player.  i remember when we signed pero.  at the same time people were talking about how strong tiago was.

From setting a ton of moving screens to wasting 2 possessions a game taking 3's to being no where near the basket for rebounds (a 265 lb. center has no excuse for only pulling down 1 rebound every 6 minutes of playing time), Pero's BBIQ was Euro trash. If you could justify for me how Pero had a high BBIQ, I would really be interested to hear it.

One more thing about Pero's 173 3PT Attempts...that was in only 63 games and 19 minutes a night.

Using PER36 numbers and 82 games....that's a 426 3 point attempt pace for a season.  Given his make rate...that's 298 missed possessions a year if just one player over 36 minutes a game did that.

I was one of the stronger proponents of Josh Smith on this board and tolerated his 3 attempts.  The posters on this board killed Josh for taking 3's. In Josh's final season in Atlanta, he averaged 2.6 3PT attempts per game, shooting 30.3%. Pero averaged 2.8 3PT attempts per game while shooting 30.1% and playing 16 less minutes per night than Josh.

Now if Josh Smith was the biggest A-Hole north of Savannah for averaging 2.6 3's a game playing 35 minutes...Pero is the mayor of A-Holeville for shooting .2 more per game in almost half the time and for a .2% lower percentage. 

To Josh's credit, his overall shooting percentage that year was 46.5%...and his overall numbers were higher than Sap's this past year....beating him in PPG, RPG, APG.  Pero gives you none of that.....not only does he bring every bad quality Smith brings (chucking 3's, complaining to Refs), but he averages only 36% total FG%, 5.7 PPG, 3.0 RPG and was ineffectively defensively and he played exclusively the 5...at least Smith played some at the 3 where you are supposed to shoot those.

Chris Dimino for 680 the fan told the funniest joke about Pero this year.  He said (paraphrasing), "If those cops wanted to get Pero away from that night club entrance, they should have told him there was a basketball goal above the door. He would have backed up 25 feet immediately".  Pero just backed his way all the way back to Europe.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2

• Moderators

One more thing about Pero's 173 3PT Attempts...that was in only 63 games and 19 minutes a night.

Using PER36 numbers and 82 games....that's a 426 3 point attempt pace for a season.  Given his make rate...that's 298 missed possessions a year if just one player over 36 minutes a game did that.

I was one of the stronger proponents of Josh Smith on this board and tolerated his 3 attempts.  The posters on this board killed Josh for taking 3's. In Josh's final season in Atlanta, he averaged 2.6 3PT attempts per game, shooting 30.3%. Pero averaged 2.8 3PT attempts per game while shooting 30.1% and playing 16 less minutes per night than Josh.

Now if Josh Smith was the biggest A-Hole north of Savannah for averaging 2.6 3's a game playing 35 minutes...Pero is the mayor of A-Holeville for shooting .2 more per game in almost half the time and for a .2% lower percentage. 

To Josh's credit, his overall shooting percentage that year was 46.5%...and his overall numbers were higher than Sap's this past year....beating him in PPG, RPG, APG.  Pero gives you none of that.....not only does he bring every bad quality Smith brings (chucking 3's, complaining to Refs), but he averages only 36% total FG%, 5.7 PPG, 3.0 RPG and was ineffectively defensively and he played exclusively the 5...at least Smith played some at the 3 where you are supposed to shoot those.

Chris Dimino for 680 the fan told the funniest joke about Pero this year.  He said (paraphrasing), "If those cops wanted to get Pero away from that night club entrance, they should have told him there was a basketball goal above the door. He would have backed up 25 feet immediately".  Pero just backed his way all the way back to Europe.

Look, I'm no Pero fan but I'll say just a couple of notes:

(1)  Josh Smith's biggest jump shooting problem was the long 2pt shot, not the 3.  The 3 was also a problem, however, because Josh was a beast when he wanted to go inside.  He also created no spacing since teams feared him inside and therefore game him all kinds of space to take that jumper.  So much of the reason that Josh got killed is because he emphasized weaknesses and minimized strengths which is just infuriating.  Pero never had those kinds of strengths.  Pero did not have a good inside game so he wasn't passing up much better shots inside.  He also was actually guarded on the perimeter which did help with spacing.  Frankly, I never understood why people guarded him out there because of his low %, but they did.  So Pero's 3pt shot was the right thing for our offense given his offensive skills, unlike Josh's perimeter shooting which was the wrong thing given his potential close to the basket.

(2)  He was a fine positional defender.  Not amazing but he was solid.  It is why our defense was 2 points better per 100 possessions when he was on the floor.  You can see this show up in a lot of metrics.

(3)  The screens were great.  Moving or not, they were very effective and helpful to set up others.  Decent blocking out, too.

(4)  His passing was decent.

(5)  Ummm...that's about it.  Oh, he was only earning $1.25M so his role should have been really a 10th or 12th guy on the roster type of role.  For what he gave us, that is a solid match of pay and play.

• Like 1