• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2016-17 Hawks - will be déjà vu all over again

Bamalawdawg

Looking way way way forward to the 2016-17 season, our roster looks to be strikingly similar to our upcoming 2015-16 roster, which will be a lot like last year. If you throw Taveras in, and the Hawks pick up team options we'd have 11 players returning, plus Bird rights on Horf. I'm sure his 5 year deal is already drafted with blanks in on the numbers for now. Baze is the only other contributor not team controlled. Horf could just blow the whole thing up by inking a cheaper deal with the Lakers, but if he doesn't we get our 2015-16 team back plus room for a shiny new free agent.

By my rough count we'll be at about $77 mil with Horf's cap hold. $10 mil over the current cap, which mean no FAs if the cap didn't rise. But we've all been told of the spike. The Hawks are in OK shape, unlike some teams, if it doesn't truly spike. With a cap of $80 mil the Hawks can dump Mack and add a guy on a 3 year $18 mil deal. That's certainly better than what they can do this year. If the cap is $90 mil, and we dump Mack and Scott (team options) we are talking about a max player. Kevin Durant or Dwight Howard anyone? The last article I read said $87 mil. Maybe not Kevin Durant money, but perhaps that's where we find our SF for a championship core?

• Like 1

It looks like the team has little mobility for the next two years. Next year they will having resign Horford to a monster contract even though he is barely an all star in the weak eastern conference. It's amazing how much cap space Millsap and Horford are going to eat up when they wouldn't even be all stars in the western conference.

It's amazing that this team is capped out considering the Hawks roster is fairly mediocre (talent wise). Is anyone on the roster even a top 5 at thier position?

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

Looking way way way forward to the 2016-17 season, our roster looks to be strikingly similar to our upcoming 2015-16 roster, which will be a lot like last year. If you throw Taveras in, and the Hawks pick up team options we'd have 11 players returning, plus Bird rights on Horf. I'm sure his 5 year deal is already drafted with blanks in on the numbers for now. Baze is the only other contributor not team controlled. Horf could just blow the whole thing up by inking a cheaper deal with the Lakers, but if he doesn't we get our 2015-16 team back plus room for a shiny new free agent.

By my rough count we'll be at about $77 mil with Horf's cap hold. $10 mil over the current cap, which mean no FAs if the cap didn't rise. But we've all been told of the spike. The Hawks are in OK shape, unlike some teams, if it doesn't truly spike. With a cap of $80 mil the Hawks can dump Mack and add a guy on a 3 year $18 mil deal. That's certainly better than what they can do this year. If the cap is $90 mil, and we dump Mack and Scott (team options) we are talking about a max player. Kevin Durant or Dwight Howard anyone? The last article I read said $87 mil. Maybe not Kevin Durant money, but perhaps that's where we find our SF for a championship core?

The sad part about it even if the Hawks create enough cap space for another max player (even if Horford gets max) there really isn't any good options after Howard and Durant who everyone will be trying to get. I don't see Dwight leaving Houston it would wreck their franchise. Take a look at the available free agents for 2016 outside a few there aren't very many options. Also players who can be free agents due to player option the list is very short and not much to get. About the only way the Hawks are going to get a good player is if they deal Schröder or Teague in a trade. It's to bad the Hawks didn't have money this year since this would have been the best time to add talent not next year.

The Hawks won't let Horford walk they'll sign him to a max contract but will Horford put up big numbers in the playoffs? Although teague's contract is not up next year will he show up in the playoffs? While the Hawks had outstanding success in the reg season what if the 2 guys the Hawks count on put up lackluster numbers again in the playoffs. When do you make a big change because you can only blame injuries so long. Now if they shine in the playoffs great but I have come to the point where its best to show me instead of paying a ton of money just on the potential when it never materializes.   

Edited by thescout5

Yeah, I was thinking about it and it's true. Our work will be cut out for us next year. We will be in the position to  have to keep our key player (Horford) and we have to make sure we can still improve the team within with the right moves. 

Hawks are NOT gonna seek a premium free agent. They wanna build around second and third tier free agents. They can have all the cap space in the world and its not gonna happen. Ferry had the Hawks at nearly 30 million in cap space, and went and got DMC and Sap.  Bud is gonna follow the same blueprint. There will be no Durant, Howard, James, Curry, Wade types coming thru that door.

hawks-gone-fishing.jpg

170990291002242-525x4151.jpg

001a06aaAWAYWarriors1a6GAME1a.jpg

Edited by atlhawks1

Hawks are NOT gonna seek a premium free agent. They wanna build around second and third tier free agents. They can have all the cap space in the world and its not gonna happen. Ferry had the Hawks at nearly 30 million in cap space, and went and got DMC and Sap.  Bud is gonna follow the same blueprint. There will be no Durant, Howard, James, Curry, Wade types coming thru that door.

hawks-gone-fishing.jpg

170990291002242-525x4151.jpg

001a06aaAWAYWarriors1a6GAME1a.jpg

I wonder would Dwight consider ATL if him and Harden don't work out. Seems like all the superstar players are connected to going back home. 

I wonder would Dwight consider ATL if him and Harden don't work out. Seems like all the superstar players are connected to going back home. 

I believe Dwight would at this stage of his career. Either Sap or Horford in a trade for Dwight. Dwight is a dominating center when you surround him with shooters, like when he played with Orlando. The Hawks could inside/outside teams and be unstoppable.....

Edited by atlhawks1

I believe Dwight would at this stage of his career. Either Sap or Horford in a trade for Dwight. Dwight is a dominating center when you surround him with shooters, like when he played with Orlando. The Hawks could inside/outside teams and be unstoppable.....

Just looking up Shaq, he got his last big pay day around Dwight's age now then started to ring chase (BOS) so I guess he may take that final pay day with HOU and just sign with ATL 4-5 years from now so I guess my original idea isn't possible.

Just looking up Shaq, he got his last big pay day around Dwight's age now then started to ring chase (BOS) so I guess he may take that final pay day with HOU and just sign with ATL 4-5 years from now so I guess my original idea isn't possible.

Really, it doesnt matter WHAT Dwight wants because the Hawks arent serious about a player of his caliber anyway. On top of that, he doesnt fit the profile of a player the Hawks would want in their organization...........thats why they would never try and get Boogie. Sacremento could offer boogie for scott, mack and some draft picks, and the Hawks would STILL find a excuse not to work a deal...

• 2 weeks later...

You realize we went after Dwight with a max offer the only time he has been an UFA, right?

WAS it a MAX offer? Did Ferry REALLY try and get Dwight?? Im not being sarcastic. I just dont remember Ferry making a SERIOUS effort to get Dwight. 

Lastly, next year, ESPECIALLY, will tell the tale with the Hawks because they will have cap and they have a reputation now of being winners.

Edited by atlhawks1

Uhh so you're saying the Hawks don't want premium free agents? I guarantee they'd take a Durant, Howard, James, Curry in a second. These guys just don't have the Hawks as their first choice so there is nothing they can do.

And yes Ferry went after Howard hard.

WAS it a MAX offer? Did Ferry REALLY try and get Dwight?? Im not being sarcastic. I just dont remember Ferry making a SERIOUS effort to get Dwight. 

Lastly, next year, ESPECIALLY, will tell the tale with the Hawks because they will have cap and they have a reputation now of being winners.

While I don't think Ferry really went all out to get Dwight, I also have come to see that it wouldn't have been good for us to get him anyway.

When you intimate that we need a player of his "caliber", I think you're forgetting that Howard isn't exactly an elite big man anymore.  He's certainly a name but he's not carrying a team to the Finals anymore.

I'm in the very minority here.  Perhaps I'm all alone.  I don't want

Dwight here.  He had an opportunity to come home to Atlanta and

wanted no part of the Hawks.

Atlanta beat him too many times when he was in Florida.  He was a

super doper super star until he faced the Hawks.  Then he appeared

almost human.

He doesn't fit here.  A square peg for a round hole.  If he comes here,

everything would need to be changed to fit him.  And, like our former

Joe Johnson's contract, if he did agree to come here, he would suck

the payroll dry.

From here I say, no thanks.  Let someone else have this problem child.

diablo.gif

• Like 4

• Moderators

While I don't think Ferry really went all out to get Dwight, I also have come to see that it wouldn't have been good for us to get him anyway.

When you intimate that we need a player of his "caliber", I think you're forgetting that Howard isn't exactly an elite big man anymore.  He's certainly a name but he's not carrying a team to the Finals anymore.

He dumped our first round pick and Lou Williams for nothing to have room to make two max offers with the ideal being Dwight and Paul.  I think he went for it pretty hard.  I don't think Dwight thought hard about Atlanta, if  you see the difference.

• Like 4

He dumped our first round pick and Lou Williams for nothing to have room to make two max offers with the ideal being Dwight and Paul.  I think he went for it pretty hard.  I don't think Dwight thought hard about Atlanta, if  you see the difference.

It's not like he jettisoned Dennis or something.  Lou was gonna be gone anyway.  Did those moves facilitate having room for 2 max's?  Yes.  Let's not act like those were 2 pieces we wanted to keep.

I'm with Gray here. While I would love to get a guy of his caliber, I want nothing to do with Dwight Howard coming here. It is pretty much common knowledge that he wants nothing to do with playing here. Absolutely nothing. At some point, you get tired of begging the hot chick in class who has gone out with every other guy to go out with you and look elsewhere...

• Like 2

Some of you act like Tony Ressler won't have a say so in who we target as free agents.  If we are to believe the theory Bud doesn't want top tier players and Ressler found out he didn't make an effort to get Durant, Bud's job as President might be short live one.

Some of you act like Tony Ressler won't have a say so in who we target as free agents.  If we are to believe the theory Bud doesn't want top tier players and Ressler found out he didn't make an effort to get Durant, Bud's job as President might be short live one.

If he starts meddling in basketball decisions I hope his stay is a short-lived one.