• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Justin Holiday signed by hawks

GrimeyKidd

• Premium Member

He WAS not IS. He is coming off two injuries. We dont know what he can contribute and banking on him is a recipe for disaster.  

Not to mention the slim possibly that he faces a suspension for resisting arrest , no matter how right or wrong he was.

6 month recovery which will be the middle of October in time for the season

Edited by Peoriabird

He WAS not IS. He is coming off two injuries. We dont know what he can contribute and banking on him is a recipe for disaster.  

Not to mention the slim possibly that he faces a suspension for resisting arrest , no matter how right or wrong he was.

Yea, the injury is a risk, forgot to mention.

Thabo is getting old and is injury prone. I can't believe that some people are ok with going with him as a starter.

I'd like an upgrade at the 3 but I'm not sure who's available and for what. The Nuggets, for example, could be tasting playoffs and therefore be unwilling to deal their wings. If we sign one more solid, under the radar guy as injury insurance I think we'll be at least as good as last year.

Probably SF by committee, with Sef starting, and none of them getting more than 15 minutes at the 3. Fresh legs/different looks approach. I'd still prefer Chandler...

Edited by hazer

He is 1 year older than Milsap

But Milsap can mostly stay healthy. 

Thabo is not an NBA starter now. You could say that he was the teams best defender last year, but when you only play 20 MPG off the bench you can go all out. His scoring is not likely to pick up all that much as a starter, and I doubt his energy level will be as good if he plays 28-30 MPG as a starter next year. And as I said, he is not to be trusted because of health. 

If this is what the Hawks are going with next year... They will likely take a step back. For most of the year they were probably the most healthy team in the eastern conference. They can't count on that happening again next year with Korver getting older, Spilitter being injury prone and Thabo playing more minutes when he is already a health risk.

The team might hit 50 wins next year.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member

But Milsap can mostly stay healthy. 

Thabo is not an NBA starter now. You could say that he was the teams best defender last year, but when you only play 20 MPG off the bench you can go all out. His scoring is not likely to pick up all that much as a starter, and I doubt his energy level will be as good if he plays 28-30 MPG as a starter next year. And as I said, he is not to be trusted because of health. 

If this is what the Hawks are going with next year... They will likely take a step back. For most of the year they were probably the most healthy team in the eastern conference. They can't count on that happening again next year with Korver getting older, Spilitter being injury prone and Thabo playing more minutes when he is already a health risk.

The team might hit 50 wins next year.

Thabo averaged 26 minutes per game before coming to the Hawks and was starting for a team that went to the NBA finals 3 years ago.  He is the same age as Lebron James and should be fine as a starting Small forward on a winning team.  The other 24 minutes can come from a combination of players depending on game situations.

Thabo averaged 26 minutes per game before coming to the Hawks and was starting for a team that went to the NBA finals 3 years ago.  He is the same age as Lebron James and should be fine as a starting Small forward on a winning team.  The other 24 minutes can come from a combination of players depending on game situations.

Lol you just gonna casually compare Thabo and Lebron James like that???

There's no way he should be suspended. Got manhandled by 6 police officers and his leg broken. I don't see why he'd need a suspension on top of that

He'd be fine as a starter, it's not that difficult to fill our SF spot on offense. Just run, pass, cut and hit as many wide open shots as you can. It's not like he's never started for a winning team before

Edited by Flight

Why do so many people on here think Thabo can't be a starter? He has been a starter more than half his career. I am guessing people who doubt he can play regular minutes don't know much about his history. Just because he was a backup on our squad last year doesn't mean he can't be a starter for us this year. It isn't as if Thabo is some career journeyman. He was a very high first round draft pick and a starter for five straight years before coming to the Hawks in 2014.

He had a better +/- than Demarre all season. His offensive + defensive efficiency also better Demarre's. All the PER stats favor Thabo over Demarre during the past season. Why can't he be a starter for us? There is absolutely no reason why he can't be. I think he could flourish as our starting SF. 

Edited by pachoo5
  • Like 2

Why do so many people on here think Thabo can't be a starter? He has been a starter more than half his career. I am guessing people who doubt he can play regular minutes don't know much about his history. Just because he was a backup on our squad last year doesn't mean he can't be a starter for us this year. It isn't as if Thabo is some career journeyman. He was a very high first round draft pick and a starter for five straight years before coming to the Hawks in 2014.

He had a better +/- than Demarre all season. His offensive + defensive efficiency also better Demarre's. All the PER stats favor Thabo over Demarre during the past season. Why can't he be a starter for us? There is absolutely no reason why he can't be. I think he could flourish as our starting SF. 

He also played only 20 minutes per game. When he came in he could go all out.because he knew he was going to play limited minutes most nights and he accepted the role.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

He also played only 20 minutes per game. When he came in he could go all out.because he knew he was going to play limited minutes most nights and he accepted the role.

His minute won't suddenly go up to 36 just because he is starting...Tom Thibideau isn't our coach.  He will play around 20-25 minutes per game with the rest of the minutes going to an array of players on the team depending on the situation. i.e. Bazemore, Korver, Holiday, Scott, and even Millsap.  Relax..We lost one wing player and gained 2 so I think we got this!

Edited by Peoriabird

Up the road we may look back at the 4 year-$60m contract that DMC got as one of the best things that ever happened for our Hawks and Bud's "system".

Tweets are cute, but players (and agents) seeing that a guy like DMC can come here, work hard and play within the system, and end up getting a really big contract has to have got attention around the league.

I've been thinking this exact same thing. Even moreso if it also happens for THJr and Holiday...