• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Demarre Carroll - can't blame him for leaving for the $$, but don't think it's best for his career

agentorange90

• Premium Member

• Premium Member

I'm not disputing what you're saying I believe it is in that 20 page Carroll thread. It said they Hawks weren't willing to go over 4 years 52 million which as I said was overpaying in my eyes. The point is moot however.

I understand. Not directing this at you, but I hate to see DMC get painted by some as a guy who just left for the money when that's not what seems to have happened. Especially after he played so hard for this franchise, even thru injuries.
  • Like 1

Lol. What did he do to make you say that?

Just seems like if anyone disagrees with him he's really quick to take offense or give them a snide remark. Lol

What Hawks' offer was overpaying? To Paul or DMC? DMC says they never made an offer to him and the Hawks have not denied that claim.

From what I remember seeing was DMC said the Hawks never made a "serious" offer, not that we didn't make an offer at all. He followed that up by saying there were 4 teams that offered him more money than we did. DMC actually said that himself in a recent interview. It was reported that we offered 4 years and up to $12.5m dollars, and perhaps a tad bit more if that would have gotten it done. IIRC that was tweeted by Eric Pincus. We apparently dropped out of the race after realizing he had initial offers as high as Detroit's $14m per season, and we weren't going to go that high for him.

It was also reported after he agreed to sign in TOR that DET was actually the leader for his services at $14m per and DMC's camp was preparing to sign with them. Then Toronto swooped in with the $15m per offer and he decided to go with them, obviously.

I'm gonna miss DMC and for a guy who was so underpaid for his whole career, I can't blame him taking as much money as he could get; but it appears his motivation was almost entirely based around max dollars.

Edited by RandomFan

• Premium Member

We didn't have a chance to keep DMC. We either had to keep Paul or him and we picked the better player to retain. I loved DMC, was very happy when we signed him if you go back and check those threads, but someone else is overpaying for him.

Anyone that blames him for taking that deal are just looking through things with homer goggles on.

We didn't have a chance to keep DMC. We either had to keep Paul or him and we picked the better player to retain. I loved DMC, was very happy when we signed him if you go back and check those threads, but someone else is overpaying for him.

Anyone that blames him for taking that deal are just looking through things with homer goggles on.

Exactly. Can't blame DMC for taking that huge overpaid contract, and you can't blame us for deciding to pay the better player instead. The only thing that sucks is now we are down a good, solid player. Imagine how nice and smooth our offseason would have been if we'd originally had DMC on a team-option 3rd year contract, at around $5m for that 3rd year...

Sigh. Oh wells.

Don't get me started on Paul. If Paul gave two turds about the franchise or the present team be would have taken 3 mil less over the 2 years his non option contract runs and have given the team he ability to spend an additional 7 mil or so on free agency this year. Paul was going to play for the most money he could get, and has no loyalty to ATL. Paul is passing through ATL on his career. Don't forget it.

I tend to agree with you, but the way you say it seems a lot more pessimistic!

• Premium Member

You can't blame players for taking the best money deal in a career that the average lifespan is like 4 years in your life. Just think about that. Paul would have netted more money in Orlando with no state tax and a little more full max if he wanted.

• 8 months later...

Toronto fans wondering if Demarre was damaged goods when he signed his contract. (FYI - he hurt his left knee in playoffs with Hawks, surgery was on his right knee)

The elephant in the room, where the Raptors are concerned, is the status of DeMarre Carroll.

The prized free agent signing, who is also the team's highest-paid player, appeared close to a return a few weeks ago when he was driving to the hoop against assistant coaches and launching three-pointers. The next step was clearance for contact. But then all went dark. Carroll's been in Atlanta tending to some personal matters (he is due back this week), the team has kept tight-lipped, but every indication from talking to various people is there has been some sort of set-back and his return this season is very much in doubt. Quietly, the team has taken the belief that he will need more time, and only a deep playoff run would let him return this season.

One thing that appears to be clear is that the plantar fasciitis Carroll had earlier this year made him compensate a bit and that led to the knee trouble that required surgery.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1433658

I would say we dodged a bullet but I don't think the Hawks ever considered resigning Junk.  Even our old training staff could see the red flags based on his age and lower body physiology.  The Raptors Staff who enabled Lowry to be fat, not so much.  

Of course I wish the best for him and a speedy return.  I've gained much respect for Casey keeping that team where they are despite virtually not having DeMarre at all this year.

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I would say we dodged a bullet but I don't think the Hawks ever considered resigning Junk.  Even our old training staff could see the red flags based on his age and lower body physiology.  The Raptors Staff who enabled Lowry to be fat, not so much.  

Of course I wish the best for him and a speedy return.  I've gained much respect for Casey keeping that team where they are despite virtually not having DeMarre at all this year.

Not accurate.  The Hawks priority was to sign both Millsap and Carroll.  The offers they got from Orlando and Toronto are what changed that plan.  The Hawks didn't refuse to sign him based on red flags concerning his health and age or some marvelous foresight.  It was purely a numbers game (money).  So, yes the Hawks did dodge a bullet.  I too wish the best for him.

45 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Casey's done well but I still maintain that they feast on a bad division.

Also, it's looking like Lowry may have started his yearly late-season decline.  We'll see him up close and personal tonite.

And lol at any cRaptors fans who think we sent them damaged goods.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

True, failed to realize this. The inter-division play is much less consequential in the NBA than what we'd usually associate with the NFL and MLB.  

Three out of the 5 Atlantic teams are utterly pathetic even fully healthy with rest.  To be fair though the Raps have beaten all contenders outside the Warriors, losing twice by only 8 points combined.  We've yet to defeat 4 contenders.

All 5 SW squads  can look like quality when Vucevic is healthy and Wall doesn't try to do too much.  

Case in point, Orlando drops 139 in regulation versus the Nets and Oladipo only scored 7.  40 assists to 10 turnovers.  Huh?  

Thanks Joe for helping the Nets to the playoffs to kill our pick then bolting to secure the Celtics' pick.  Thanks so much.

Divisions don't really affect strength of schedule too much in the NBA. We only play 2 fewer games against Philly/NY/Brooklyn than they do. Toronto has done well against the top teams and are 23-14 overall against .500+ teams. As much as I dislike the Raptors, I can't take anything away from them. Especially with the injuries to DMC and JV. 

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Also, it's looking like Lowry may have started his yearly late-season decline.  We'll see him up close and personal tonite.

And lol at any cRaptors fans who think we sent them damaged goods.

Well, we need our resident fat hater expert @JayBirdHawk to let us know if Lowry broke into the cookie jar last night. He might have been depressed from his elbow drainage and started making love to some Oreo's.

25 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Well, we need our resident fat hater expert @JayBirdHawk to let us know if Lowry broke into the cookie jar last night. He might have been depressed from his elbow drainage and started making love to some Oreo's.

Wait-say-what-GIF.gif?gs=a

On 3/30/2016 at 8:55 AM, benhillboy said:

I could only imagine what the new training staff could have done with JYD. 

Yeah definitely takes good coaching from Casey. Masai did his thing getting rid of offensive players - Vasquez, Lou, Amir, and Hansbrough and replacing them with Wright (rookie), Joseph, Scola and Biyumbo and bringing in Andy Greer (Thibodeau's DC) to run the D.