• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Demarre Carroll - can't blame him for leaving for the $$, but don't think it's best for his career

agentorange90

First off, thanks Demarre for your contributions to the Hawks.  I thought he was our MVP in the playoffs this year.  I saw he said he left because the way the Raptors treated his family.  I'm sure they treated them well, but it's obvious the green was talking.  He and his family are set for like now with a 60 mill contract over 4 years.  All the cash for a guy who never averaged more than 12 pts per game????  And leaving a team that made the Eastern CF to go to a first round dropout?  I wish him the best but I think his basketball career would progressed and elevated a lot more had he staid with the Hawks.  At least we re-signed Paul Milsap.

Check out the Grantland article on ESPN on 3 point shooters. We will miss his defense, but I'm a lot less worried about his scoring and 3 point shooting. 119 of his 120 3s were assisted. I'm certain THJr and Holiday can make those shots. His shot chart is unique. He has shots in the paint (61% shooting) and 3s (99% assisted). That's basicly it.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Check out the Grantland article on ESPN on 3 point shooters. We will miss his defense, but I'm a lot less worried about his scoring and 3 point shooting. 119 of his 120 3s were assisted. I'm certain THJr and Holiday can make those shots. His shot chart is unique. He has shots in the paint (61% shooting) and 3s (99% assisted). That's basicly it.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-nba-free-agency-3-point-shooter-danny-green-demarre-carroll/

Even the best catch-and-shoot guys live and die by the ability of their teams to create the kinds of shots they thrive on; Tom Thibodeau’s Kyle Korver was a lot less scary than Mike Budenholzer’s version. Yet while there is no shortage of evidence to support this idea, there is a shortage of teams that are capable of generating wide-open catch-and-shoot looks beyond the arc on a regular basis. And every time a big-name spot-up guy switches uniforms, he and the team acquiring him are taking on all the risk that comes with changing a shooting environment.

Like [Danny] Green, Carroll recently underwent his own long-range renaissance. Before joining the Atlanta Hawks in 2013, Carroll had never made more than 20 3-pointers in a season. Last year, he made 120 on 40 percent shooting. It was a breakout performance, but again, we have to ask: How much of it had to do with the brilliant spacing and ball movement of Budenholzer’s offense? The Hawks trailed only the Rockets in 3-point assists last season, and 92 percent of their triples were assisted. Carroll was almost completely teammate dependent: He made a grand total of one unassisted 3 all season long. By leaving Atlanta and moving to Toronto — a team that ranked 28th in 3-point assist rate last year — Carroll, who’s getting $15 million more than Green, is putting a lot of faith in symbioses that may or may not come to fruition. Like [ex-Mav and current Grizzlie Vince] Carter, his numbers might look a lot different next season.

~lw3

It's gonna be interesting seeing Raptors fans' reactions to DeMarre if he struggles like the numbers say he likely will. The snap conclusion I saw a lot of times from opposing fans was "they're very well coached, but [fill in the blank] can't coach his way out a wet paper bag."

Coach Casey helped Lowry to an AS appearance and bigger payday than anyone thought he'd receive, good job. Bud's resume of guys he's helped coach up to unexpected levels is much longer. He's got his work cut out trying to justify DeMarre's contract through raw stats.

Of course they wanted to get rid of Bad Lou, everyone wants to. But I think they're gonna miss Good Lou way more than we did. Only one non-assisted three last season for DeMarre? How many Lou make, 'bout 80?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

First off, thanks Demarre for your contributions to the Hawks. I thought he was our MVP in the playoffs this year. I saw he said he left because the way the Raptors treated his family. I'm sure they treated them well, but it's obvious the green was talking. He and his family are set for like now with a 60 mill contract over 4 years. All the cash for a guy who never averaged more than 12 pts per game???? And leaving a team that made the Eastern CF to go to a first round dropout? I wish him the best but I think his basketball career would progressed and elevated a lot more had he staid with the Hawks. At least we re-signed Paul Milsap.

I feel he would be much better with Atlanta too, but the Hawks decided not to re-sign him so they could match the offer for Paul. DMC had to go elsewhere. The Hawks weren't expecting Millsap to get a max offer. In the end, Paul decided he wasn't going to take significantly less money to stay in Atlanta and he didn't. Who's to say if the Hawks didn't match Orlando's offer that Paul wouldn't be in Florida right now? Edited by Jody23

I feel he would be much better with Atlanta too, but the Hawks decided not to re-sign him so they could match the offer for Paul. DMC had to go elsewhere. The Hawks weren't expecting Millsap to get a max offer. In the end, Paul decided he wasn't going to take significantly less money to stay in Atlanta and he didn't. Who's to say if the Hawks didn't match Orlando's offer that Paul wouldn't be in Florida right now?

Don't get me started on Paul. If Paul gave two turds about the franchise or the present team be would have taken 3 mil less over the 2 years his non option contract runs and have given the team he ability to spend an additional 7 mil or so on free agency this year. Paul was going to play for the most money he could get, and has no loyalty to ATL. Paul is passing through ATL on his career. Don't forget it.

He has shots in the paint (61% shooting) and 3s (99% assisted). That's basicly it.

That's analytics perfection.  They hate the mid-range game.

I wouldn't be surprised if he feels a need to justify the contract and tries to do too much.

• Premium Member

I don't see it that way.  He will never ever in his life have been able to make that kind of money.  Never.  He goes to a situation that is bad for his game (Iso-Ball) however, they may be on the verge of change in Toronto.  I mean, there's no more Lou Will there.   If they were to transform that team, he has Derozen to play off of and Lowry can be his Teague.  I think more than anything, he needs them to adapt a system more similar to ours for him to be productive, but nobody is going to doubt his abilities... he's a system guy.

Doesnt matter if he does well or not, thanks to garunteed contracts in the NBA the man is gonna get paid regardless. He didnt do this to make us or Raptor fans happy or even his new coach or owner. The man cashed in while his name was hot so that he could change his life and the lives of his family for GENERATIONS. He made the right move. He can think about ring chasing in 4 years when he literally is Bruce Bowen's clone. Right now he got the most money he could while he could. He will never see another pay day like that the rest of his life. Kudos to you DMC

• Like 2

Whatever.  The dude doesn't care about winning.  All that matters is money.  Typical professional athlete who is a greedy slime ball.

Don't get me started on Paul. If Paul gave two turds about the franchise or the present team be would have taken 3 mil less over the 2 years his non option contract runs and have given the team he ability to spend an additional 7 mil or so on free agency this year. Paul was going to play for the most money he could get, and has no loyalty to ATL. Paul is passing through ATL on his career. Don't forget it.

Ummm well Paul did take $1 million less than his Maximum this year (about $2.1 million less over 2 and $3.2 million less over 3) in order for the Hawks to sign Edy and acquire Tiago so may you should shutup if you don't know what you're talking about? Because it seems like the turd is the one who is talking out of his ass and complaining about Paul even though Paul effectively did what you're complaining that he did not do?

To meet the salary demands of DeMarre and Paul (with the discount he DID take), the Hawks would have had to waive Daye, then trade Mack and Scott without taking any salary back. This would also imply that the Hawks would not be able to bring over Edy and there would be no Tiago.

So effectively, you're telling the board that DeMarre plus random veteran minimums are greater than having Tiago, Edy, Mack, and Scott.

turd-sandwich.png

OK.

• Premium Member

Nobody can fault Carroll for taking that contract. Having said that he may be facing a situation where his next contract will make up the difference the other way. I felt like the Hawks offer was overpaying.

What Hawks' offer was overpaying? To Paul or DMC? DMC says they never made an offer to him and the Hawks have not denied that claim.

• Premium Member

I thought they offered him 52

You have a link to that? Everything I saw reported indicated the Hawks decided to move on from DMC when they knew they had to compete with Orlando's offer to keep Millsap. Edited by Jody23