• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Making moves for a championship

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Warning I'm gonna be a little negative here and I know some will freak out but just hang in there.

Im not nor want to be a capoligist, I have a business to run.   But off the top of my head it is interesting about these bird rights that we dont seem to have.  Maybe Danny wasnt able to scure the years necessary with DMC or Sap, or maybe he didnt think it was worth it.   Splitter is a Bud guy through and through so hopefully we will get some good production from him, hes a vet with a championship so he knows how to play.

I guess I'm a little disappointed thaat our front office did not make the most of opportunities to put us in a position to get a better player that would maybe put us over the top.

I doubt anyone can compete with Cleveland in the east this year.   I'm not sure we got anybetter. 

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Warning I'm gonna be a little negative here and I know some will freak out but just hang in there.

Im not nor want to be a capoligist, I have a business to run.   But off the top of my head it is interesting about these bird rights that we dont seem to have.  Maybe Danny wasnt able to scure the years necessary with DMC or Sap, or maybe he didnt think it was worth it.   Splitter is a Bud guy through and through so hopefully we will get some good production from him, hes a vet with a championship so he knows how to play.

I guess I'm a little disappointed thaat our front office did not make the most of opportunities to put us in a position to get a better player that would maybe put us over the top.

I doubt anyone can compete with Cleveland in the east this year.   I'm not sure we got anybetter. 

41806-Emma-Stone-are-you-crying-gif-71rmcrying-waterfalls.gifcrying-in-space-3.gif

My question is how can the Cavs have bird rights on LeBron if he keeps signing one year deals?

Wasn't a 1-year deal, was a 2-year deal with the player option in the 2nd (this) year. Cavs didn't have his bird rights, they "inherited" the bird rights of other traded players which allowed them to go over cap to re-sign THEM. A team can afford nearly 3 max deals if they have enough inherited bird rights from trades to fill out the roster by going over the cap to do so. Comes with a hefty penalty tax, which some are willing to pay. Hawks didn't have bird rights to be able to do so. They will next year with Horf though. Or sumpin' like that, I'm sure some will straighten out any part I missed/got wrong.

Edited by hazer

• Moderators

My question is how can the Cavs have bird rights on LeBron if he keeps signing one year deals?

They will only get them after 3 years.  This year they never renounced him and just signed him to the cap hold based on his last contract.  Since he was never renounced, no cap space opened for Cleveland as a result of his opting out.  All it did was give him leverage over the team and allow him to sign another two year deal with an out so he is covered in case of a catastrophic injury and has maximum flexibility / leverage going forward.

during a gsw summer league game, reggie miller started naming his eastern conference contenders and it went as so: cleveland, milwaukee, miami and chicago....I am pretty sure he still thinks it was cleveland vs. washington in the ecf

• Like 2

Many people still believe that any team cannot win without a super duper extra ordinary

one of a kind super star and that there is only one of these alive, Bron!

As stated, he is 2-4 in the finals.  So what!  No other team in the NBA east has a player

that qualifies, therefore no one else has a chance.

While he's in his prime, the next 20 years or so, every other team in the east should just

concede the title and go play in the D League until he retires!

Check out these talking heads, these NBA experts who know everything and see if this

isn't the way that they think and believe.  Sometimes we want to grab them, hit them over

the head with a 2 x 4 and tell them to put their brain in gear.

We all know how great he is and have watched him do great things.  He can take three steps

with the basketball in his hands and not travel.  He can run over a stationary opponent

and get a blocking foul called.  He is very talented.  He's even been known to help the

officials call the game.

• Like 4

Lol. You KNOW this board. ANY discussion about the lack of the Hawks acquiring top tier talent is gonna be met with " the cap" . Funny thing is, the Hawks will do the SAME thing with cap room. Its not money, its the type of player they want on the team that is the motivating factor in who they acquire.

I played point guard in high school, and i KNOW what the Hawks are doing. In fact, i beat lots of teams who had superior talent, because i knew HOW to play the game. That works in high school and college ball. In the NBA, you have the BEST players in the world, and the margin between a team that is great at schemes, and a team that just beats you on raw talent is slim. Cleveland proved that in the playoffs. Miami proved it the whole time Lebron was down there.

On paper, this is a better team than last years team. The problem is everything is hinging on Tiago Splitter. He HAS to step up if the Hawks have any chance at beating Cleveland.

Edited by atlhawks1

Im not nor want to be a capoligist, I have a business to run. But off the top of my head it is interesting about these bird rights that we dont seem to have. Maybe Danny wasnt able to scure the years necessary with DMC or Sap, or maybe he didnt think it was worth it. Splitter is a Bud guy through and through so hopefully we will get some good production from him, hes a vet with a championship so he knows how to play.

I doubt anyone can compete with Cleveland in the east this year. I'm not sure we got anybetter.

When DF traded Joe and Marvin, then let Josh walk, that summer we had 3 players under guaranteed contracts: Al, Lou and Jenkins. From all reports DF initially offered Millsap a 4 year deal which he declined and he confirmed as much. I'm not sure if DMC was offered a similar deal. The biggest free agents this season that I thought would make a significant impact were Gasol and Aldridge, all the others screamed lateral movement to me unless we were ADDING them to Millsap and DMC. Even if Millsap took his EB max we would still only have roughly 8 Million to spend. With the way players got paid this offseason what player upgrade could we get for $8 mil?

With next years cap spike expected to be around $87M, if we renounce Scott/Mack/Bazemore and hold onto Horf's Early Bird rights, we'll have like $15M at least off the top of my head to chase after a wing we like, and there are MUCH more 3s on the market next free agency.

Teague/Shredder

Korver/Holliday/Hardaway

__/Thabo

Sap/Moose

Horford/Splitter/Tavares

+$15M for Gallo or Batum or whoever. This was a weird offseason with everyone getting overpaid without the cap actually having spiked yet.

With next years cap spike expected to be around $87M, if we renounce Scott/Mack/Bazemore and hold onto Horf's Early Bird rights, we'll have like $15M at least off the top of my head to chase after a wing we like, and there are MUCH more 3s on the market next free agency.

Teague/Shredder

Korver/Holliday/Hardaway

__/Thabo

Sap/Moose

Horford/Splitter/Tavares

+$15M for Gallo or Batum or whoever. This was a weird offseason with everyone getting overpaid without the cap actually having spiked yet.

We have Full bird rights for Al.

• Admin

This team as presently constructed will struggle to win 45-48 games and will have to pray to make it to the second round.  We have absolutely zero chance to beat Cleveland.

Last year's team was only supposed to fight for the playoffs and maybe get the 8th seed ... they won 60 games.

• Like 3