• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Phil Jackson speaks about Tim Hardaway Jr

"J.R. had been exhibiting some delinquent behavior and had gotten into the habit of coming late to team meetings, or missing them altogether," Jackson says. "Also, Shump and Tim [Hardaway Jr.] were regressing, so I decided to meet with them separately and try to find out what, if anything, was bothering them." Smith was first on the list. "We talked about his statement to the press that our shooting guard depth was going to be the team's asset, but so far it hadn't worked out that way," Jackson says. "He was supposed to carry the scoring load for the second unit and he wasn't doing the job. I also said that because of his unacceptable behavior, he had two strikes against him with this team. He didn't really respond. He's a very sensitive guy, with his big doe eyes. He looked like he was going to tear up. But he finally responded that he was going through some issues with his gal."

Shumpert was next in line. "After he suffered a hip injury in Dallas, his game went rapidly downhill. Did he have any other issues to explain his decline? He said, 'No. I don't know what has gone wrong with my game.' As with J. R., nothing got resolved."

Hardaway was more responsive, he says. "I told him he was casting the ball instead of shooting it. And if his man scored on him at the other end, Tim tried to get back at him by forcing up some kind of shot. Plus, his defense was hurting the team. He was not closing out on 3-point shooters and forcing them to put the ball on the floor, not trusting that defensive help would arrive on the second dribble. Still, [Derek Fisher] told me that Tim's defense was actually improving, so I didn't harp too much on that."

Hardaway seemed to take the comments to heart, Jackson says, and vowed to work on his flaws. 

That sort of positive attitude and coachability, paired with his All-Rookie campaign, gives me confidence that he will be a very good back up 2 for the Hawks.

• Like 3

Phil is a trainwreck at GM and I think a lot of these comments are him just trying to save face for a disastrous first season.  After trading Felton and Tyson Chandler for a washed up Dalembert and terrible Calderon contract, Phil was all over the place talking about how he had a playoff caliber team.  That trade and the following statements ended up blowing up in his face and he ends up having to trade his remaining assets for pennies on the dollar to force an outright tank in hopes for a top 3 pick.

Now he's trying to pass last season off as a success when they traded all of the few assets they had for hardly anything in return while also failing to land a top 3 pick. Not too mention, they also failed to land a big name free agent and you had the likes of Milwaukee stealing their top targets.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 4

With the trust and support that the Hawks have built in the locker room, I have no doubt that any player that comes here will have more confidence and a better mindset during a season.  With the coaching staff giving players the ability to make mistakes and grow from them, I don't see THJr holding his head down.  Plus a tight locker room will give any player more reason to pass and fit into the system.  This game does include mental aspects and confidence can really impact a player's performance.  I have faith he will have a good season.

• Like 3

• Admin

Phil is a trainwreck at GM and I think a lot of these comments are him just trying to save face for a disastrous first season.  After trading Felton and Tyson Chandler for a washed up Dalembert and terrible Calderon contract, Phil was all over the place talking about how he had a playoff caliber team.  That trade and the following statements ended up blowing up in his face and he ends up having to trade his remaining assets for pennies on the dollar to force an outright tank in hopes for a top 3 pick.

Now he's trying to pass last season off as a success when they traded all of the few assets they had for hardly anything in return while also failing to land a top 3 pick. Not too mention, they also failed to land a big name free agent and you had the likes of Milwaukee stealing their top targets.

Phil is pretty stuck in his ways ... forcing a triangle offense that is hard to learn and is definitely not working.

He gets a lot of praise for his stellar coaching which admittedly he has won a lot of championships and is a really good coach but one thing that is forgotten is that he never built a team ... he always had a STACKED STACKED teams ... when he took over in Chicago and LA they were both ripe to win championships.  

• Like 3

"Tim still has a bright future -- he wants to be good, and if he learns how to improve all the aspects of his game he has a chance."

Precisely what I thought, and wanted to hear. THJr will thrive under Bud. Hopefully to the point of being Korv's replacement when that time comes. I said HOPEfully.....

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

• Moderators

This is some weird comments to put in the public about your players and ex-players.   And it makes you wonder who is really coaching the team.   Why is the GM running film sessions?   

And if his man scored on him at the other end, Tim tried to get back at him by forcing up some kind of shot. Plus, his defense was hurting the team. He was not closing out on 3-point shooters and forcing them to put the ball on the floor, not trusting that defensive help would arrive on the second dribble. 

These two 'problems' won't be problems with the Hawks.  

• Like 3

This is some weird comments to put in the public about your players and ex-players. And it makes you wonder who is really coaching the team. Why is the GM running film sessions?

These two 'problems' won't be problems with the Hawks.

Does Fisher look like he knows what he's doing? Seems barely awake on the sidelines.

• Premium Member

My thoughts about Jackson's comments is that it was CYA moment for him... as others have said.  I also think that playing in a new offense with a winning environment will bring out the best in THJr.  Even better is that I don't think THJr will have the green light that Korver has. So we don't have to worry much about him getting stuck in Hero mode.  However, if he does, it will be the end of his career.

I really see that in Bud, we have a GM who makes moves and think more about the future than the immediate present. THJr is Korver's possible replacement (down the line).

I think Phil is doing a good job as a GM. Sometimes players don't fit their roles. If your not Lebron, it happens a lot more than you think. 

Does Fisher look like he knows what he's doing? Seems barely awake on the sidelines.

Fisher has his moments. I been watching his coaching and I can honestly say, he does a good job and using the triangle and adjusting to it. To me, he's more D'Antoni in terms of you have to fit his system to play for him successfully. The triangle requires you to be smart, be able to score on the ball, the ability to make proper reads and the ability to adjust to what the defense is giving you. 

It's a really good offense. Not sure how Melo fits. Even after a yr, I still have questions. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators

I really can't take anything Phil says seriously at this moment. The man is all over the place. Why would he talk about JR crying or having trouble with his "gal"? What's the point of all of this? Just sit down man and do your job

Yeah.  I'm sure JR is thrilled to see that in print.   Players aren't going to want to play there when they here the GM reveals personal conversations.  

• Like 3

I think Phil is doing a good job as a GM. Sometimes players don't fit their roles. If your not Lebron, it happens a lot more than you think. 

Can you list these good moves?  He said they would compete in year 1 and he completely failed at that.  He failed to land a difference maker in the draft or in free agency.  He shipped out all of his assets for nothing or bad assets in return. 

He could have received a nice package for Tyson Chandler and instead he takes on a terrible contract in Calderon who is useless when it comes to winning games.

I really can't take anything Phil says seriously at this moment. The man is all over the place. Why would he talk about JR crying or having trouble with his "gal"? What's the point of all of this? Just sit down man and do your job

Exactly.  Phil is clueless when it comes to being a GM. 

"J.R. had been exhibiting some delinquent behavior and had gotten into the habit of coming late to team meetings, or missing them altogether," Jackson says. "Also, Shump and Tim [Hardaway Jr.] were regressing, so I decided to meet with them separately and try to find out what, if anything, was bothering them." Smith was first on the list. "We talked about his statement to the press that our shooting guard depth was going to be the team's asset, but so far it hadn't worked out that way," Jackson says. "He was supposed to carry the scoring load for the second unit and he wasn't doing the job. I also said that because of his unacceptable behavior, he had two strikes against him with this team. He didn't really respond. He's a very sensitive guy, with his big doe eyes. He looked like he was going to tear up. But he finally responded that he was going through some issues with his gal."

SheldonPerplexed.gif

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 3

Can you list these good moves?  He said they would compete in year 1 and he completely failed at that.  He failed to land a difference maker in the draft or in free agency.  He shipped out all of his assets for nothing or bad assets in return. 

He could have received a nice package for Tyson Chandler and instead he takes on a terrible contract in Calderon who is useless when it comes to winning games.

Exactly.  Phil is clueless when it comes to being a GM. 

Lopez, Porzingis, Affaflo and O'Quinn. 

Lopez, Porzingis, Affaflo and O'Quinn.

Can you really consider those additions as great success?

Those players are not going to bring the big change to New York that Phil promised when he took the job.  Tyson Chandler is a better player than Lopez.  Afflalo is hit or miss and he's not going to make a big difference in the win column.