• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN SAID 12 TEAMS IN THE EASTERN CONFERENCE HAD A BETTER OFFSEASON THAN THE HAWKS...

atlhawks1

http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/21/espns-pelton-gives-the-hawks-offseason-a-flat-c/

ESPN’s Pelton gives the Hawks offseason a flat ‘C’
  July 21, 2015 | Filed in: AJC SportsAtlanta Hawks / NBA.

nets-hawks-basketball_brad.jpg?w=276&h=3

Here’s the list of the Eastern Conference teams that Kevin Pelton ofESPN Insider credits as having had a better offseason than the Atlanta Hawks: Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Miami, Milwaukee, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Toronto and Washington.

If you’re counting, that’s 12 teams Pelton grades higher than the Hawks’ “C.” There are 15 teams in the NBA East. Only one — Charlotte — had an offseason Pelton adjudges as worse than the team that finished first in the conference last season. Lest we forget, these latest Hawks’ moves were the work of the new managerial team of Mike Budenholzer and Wes Wilcox.

This isn’t to say that the Hawks are apt to finish 14th in the East next season. They’re still a very good team. I’m just not sure they’ll be as good as they were when winning 60 games. (I’ve mentioned as much.)

Pelton stipulates that the Hawks couldn’t afford to keep both Paul Millsap and DeMarre Carroll and gives them a pass on losing Carroll. Here’s his assessment of what else they’ve done:

I don’t fault the Hawks for not moving money around to pay Carroll the $60 million over four seasons he got from Toronto. (He’s a good player, but he’s not that good.) Trouble is, new ownership has said it’s banking on continuity, and without even the one non-All-Star from the famous starting five, I’m not sure that continuity can be reproduced.

Atlanta tried to find the next Carroll by signing (Justin) Holiday, whose skill set is a 3-and-D starter kit. The Hawks used the money they saved to add (Tiago) Splitter, who gives their frontcourt an entirely different look. But trading a first-round pick for (Tim) Hardaway (Jr.), a poor defender whose shooting hasn’t been as good as advertised in the NBA, looks like a bad gamble.

It’s weird. The system that made the Hawks as individuals look better than they’d ever looked now must compensate for the loss of a guy who was one of five ideal fits in that system. Maybe there’s another such fit on this roster, and maybe it’s Justin Holiday. But I have my doubts.

Edited by atlhawks1

• Admin

Thats fine ... I thought the Splitter get was excellent and met a major need ... THJ is some offense off the bench ... he is a work in progress but was also a product of a messed up NY ... he is also ready to contribute which is not true for most rookies (including Oubre) ... Holiday added depth for end of bench ... resigned Paul which was huge ... we didn't vastly overpay for DMC which was smart too.  If we can get a SF our team is deeper and stronger then last season.

• Like 1

My question... what credentials do Mark Bradley or Kevin Pelton have that any of us don't have?

Well, seeing as how almost EVERY statement i made about the garbage Pero Antić still being on this squad was met with ANALYTICS on this board, and almost EVERY break down of a player on THIS board is made with ANALYTICS...............I THINK THE INVENTOR OF THE WARP AND SCHOENE SYSTEMS FOR THE NBA IS QUALIFIED TO TELL THE BOARD what the Hawks did this off season:

http://www.sonicscentral.com/kevinpelton.html

Kevin Pelton joined ESPN Insider as an NBA analyst in January 2013. Along with Tom Haberstroh, he writes the daily "Per Diem" column covering the NBA using advanced statistical analysis. Pelton developed the WARP rating system and SCHOENE projection system for the NBA.

Previously, Pelton served as an author for BasketballProspectus.com since the site's inception in 2007 through 2012. Along with Bradford Doolittle, he co-authored four editions of the popular Pro Basketball Prospectus annuals. Pelton's NBA commentary also appeared on Hoopsworld.com, 82games.com, SI.com and in the Wall Street Journal. Pelton co-authored the paper "A Starting Point for Analyzing Basketball Statistics" with Justin Kubatko, Dean Oliver and Dan T. Rosenbaum and contributed to the College Basketball Prospectus series. He also served as a statistical consultant to the Indiana Pacers from 2010-12.

Pelton covered the WNBA's Seattle Storm for the team's official site, StormBasketball.com, from 2003-12. He spent four seasons as the beat writer for Supersonics.com. Prior to joining the Sonics & Storm, he founded the fan site SonicsCentral.com.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9797404/explaining-schoene-projection-system

http://www.sonicscentral.com/warp.html

gotcha-o.gif

Edited by atlhawks1

My question... what credentials do Mark Bradley or Kevin Pelton have that any of us don't have?

KP does have credibility and everyone here knows THJr advanced stats are horrible. What we are betting is THJr is a better fit for us than he was for the Knicks. This is the issue AHF had, we paid for THJr on a level of his top value instead of currently what he's worth which is a late 2nd round pick. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

It's not exactly an unreasonable thought. We lost a very reliable two-way starter and gained a very good backup with injury concerns, THJ, Holiday, Edy, and maybe someone from our SL roster. Our big signing was a player already on the roster. We're counting on some Bud magic with these young wings to turn this into a "good" offseason. 

• Like 1

I wonder what our offseason grade last year was when we only signed Thabo and Baze?

Funny how he didn't mention the acquisition of Splitter.

Not impressed by Bucks offseason. They got Monroe but traded away vets in Zaza, Dudley and Illyasova. Think they'll lose their defensive identify.

The Knicks?? Brooklyn... Please.

I wonder what our offseason grade last year was when we only signed Thabo and Baze?

Funny how he didn't mention the acquisition of Splitter.

Not impressed by Bucks offseason. They got Monroe but traded away vets in Zaza, Dudley and Illyasova. Think they'll lose their defensive identify.

The Knicks?? Brooklyn... Please.

He did mention Splitter

The Hawks used the money they saved to add (Tiago) Splitter, who gives their frontcourt an entirely different look.
  • Like 1

Man when does football season start?  I'm sick of the offseason already.

I'm still boycotting the Barves.  I tried watching a little boxing this weekend but Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. killed that for me.  Man that dude is riding the wheels off his father's coattails.

I got into American Ninja Warrior which is some nice unintentional humor.  Man, what else is there to watch during this dead period?

{Have I rambled on long enough to derail this god-awful thread?}

Just read through the squawk this offseason has been hit or miss with most of us; however, what the heck did Philly and Orlando do that makes their offseason better than ours?  I take everything ESPN says with a grain of salt, regardless of the credentials of who says it, they are in the business of getting clicks and views, and nothing we did this summer does that for them, so they will downplay it....so  $%^& em'

Seriously, why do we still pay attention to espn? They doubted the Hawks all last season and couldn't wait for them to fail to be able to day they told us so. I wouldn't doubt them saying we have to fight to make the playoffs this year.

It's been around long enough and there's no real competition just soft-boiled imitators.  Have you tried watching Fox Sport 1 or w/e?  It's a scrambled mess, if you can imagine that.  They'll probably fold over easy like that SI-inspired network.

People just watch/read BSPN because it's there and we like sports.  The problem lies when someone tries to go to it for "informed" analysis.  It doesn't really exist there.  Even when they stumble upon something of substance it's most likely just a conglomeration of info poached from some other real news outlet.

All in all, the last place I'm going for eggspert analysis on the Hawks is the 4-letter network.

• Premium Member

Well, seeing as how almost EVERY statement i made about the garbage Pero Antić still being on this squad was met with ANALYTICS on this board, and almost EVERY break down of a player on THIS board is made with ANALYTICS...............I THINK THE INVENTOR OF THE WARP AND SCHOENE SYSTEMS FOR THE NBA IS QUALIFIED TO TELL THE BOARD what the Hawks did this off season:

My friend, he's a writer who has an interest in analytics. Okay, an intense interest in analytics. I don't disparage his opinion. But I also don't set his on a pedestal for worship. At least one person on this board is a PhD and experience teaching Research Methods. His opinions are as important but almost certainly not more important than any of the others here.

Is it interesting to know what Pelton thinks? Sure. I don't disparage you for bringing his opinion here for consideration. It's good to know what people with a national soapbox are saying about us.

• Premium Member

It's not exactly an unreasonable thought. We lost a very reliable two-way starter and gained a very good backup with injury concerns, THJ, Holiday, Edy, and maybe someone from our SL roster. Our big signing was a player already on the roster. We're counting on some Bud magic with these young wings to turn this into a "good" offseason. 

No.  It's different.  We lost a good two way starter... True.  We gained a lot of size (or main weakness).   Splitter, Edy is a definitely upgrade from Brand and Antić.

While losing Carroll really hurt... we don't know what we have in THJr or Holiday yet.

From our perspective the win in the frontcourt at BU C may be better than the loss (if it is a loss) that we take at the 3.