• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves/Dodgers/Marlins potential 3-way trade

The Rumors are all over the place.

If completed, Dodgers get Wood, Latos, Johnson, Peraza, Morse. Braves get Olivera, Zach Bird, draft pick. Marlins get 3 low-level pitchers.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/626568766088978433

That is what it look like. There might be more to this trade. If it stand as is then this trade look terrible for the Braves. Dodgers are basically not giving up anything and yet somehow get a very good young pitcher in Wood and promising 2B prospect in Peraza. WTF

So we essential trade an awesome 24 year old pitcher who is durable, hard throwing and has a good consistent era in Wood, and Peraza, who is a top 24 prospect infielder who is 21 years old for an injured, maybe 30 year old ( maybe older) shortstop from Cuba, who has a 60+ million contract for the next 6 years, has never faced major league pitching, and is injured. Aren't we aiming for a rebuild to be good in 2017? Sounds like the Dodgers screwed us.

Can somebody explain this to me?

So we essential trade an awesome 24 year old pitcher who is durable, hard throwing and has a good consistent era in Wood, and Peraza, who is a top 24 prospect infielder who is 21 years old for an injured, maybe 30 year old ( maybe older) shortstop from Cuba, who has a 60+ million contract for the next 6 years, has never faced major league pitching, and is injured. Aren't we aiming for a rebuild to be good in 2017? Sounds like the Dodgers screwed us.

Can somebody explain this to me?

Apparently the Braves value Olivera so highly that they were willing to give up on our top prospect and our 2nd best Starting Pitcher. The only way I feel good about this trade is if Olivera can immediately hit 20-25 HRs driving in 100 RBI and playing stellar defense. If not, the Dodgers just screwed us without any lube.

Apparently the Braves value Olivera so highly that they were willing to give up on our top prospect and our 2nd best Starting Pitcher. The only way I feel good about this trade is if Olivera can immediately hit 20-25 HRs driving in 100 RBI and playing stellar defense. If not, the Dodgers just screwed us without any lube.

I heard Olivera is a stud. But he is 30 years old, I guess that's not too old for baseball. Also heard his defensive is questionable.

If Olivera can stay healthy then he will be great pickup(assuming the hype is real). Just read the Dodgers are picking up half the money or close to it. Basically the Braves get him at about $6 Mil per. He will have 5 years left on his deal after this year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/dodgers-nearing-deal-to-acquire-mat-latos-michael-morse.html

http://www.talkingchop.com/2015/7/30/9071987/mlb-trade-rumors-braves-dodgers-trade-hector-oliver-alex-wood-jose-peraza

If down the line this end up being a great trade. I will gladly say I was wrong. As it stand this trade def deserve to be in the Tex & Wainwright trade discussion as one of the Braves worst trades. I just can't make sense of it. Giving up two young promising players just to save money on a player who is likely older and has injury concerns himself.

Even the homers out there trying to justify this trade are having a hardtime selling me on this deal.

Edited by WraithSentinel

I heard Olivera is a stud. But he is 30 years old, I guess that's not too old for baseball. Also heard his defensive is questionable.

Are we sure he's really 30 or like a Latin American-30 (i.e. really like 33+)?  Wait, that sounded kinda Colin Cowherd-ish.

I guess what I'm getting at is how old is he really?

As is, this trade looks like they Dodgers just went in dry.  Why'd the Barves have to give up Wood and Peraza?

Are we sure he's really 30 or like a Latin American-30 (i.e. really like 33+)? Wait, that sounded kinda Colin Cowherd-ish.

I guess what I'm getting at is how old is he really?

As is, this trade looks like they Dodgers just went in dry. Why'd the Barves have to give up Wood and Peraza?

I have no clue...I don't get it. Olivera better be Puig-lite like.

• Premium Member

This is one of the dumbest trades I've ever seen the Braves make. That speaks volumes. We gave up our best prospect, our second best pitcher, our closer and a decent RP for...a "thirty" year old Cuban that's never even played in the majors. Who, reports say, may need Tommy John surgery already. This is just amazingly bad.

I agree, this trade makes no sense to me. Olivera better be something special. 

Some things that i heard before the trade that might shed some light:

- Wood's velocity has steadily declined over the past 2 years

- Wood has the fewest RPMs on his fastball of anyone in the MLB- that is really bad 

- Wood's funky delivery, is well funky

After the trade statements

- Wood maybe an injury risk (what pitcher isnt these days?)

- Peraza is not as good as advertised in terms of hitting (.316 OBP, that is bad)

- Peraza's defense is really bad, 20 errors so far this season

Still, trading a 21 year old and a 24 year old for a 30 year old with arm problems is baffling at best. 

I hope we are all wrong on our impression of this trade, but man it sure looks AWFUL 

• Like 1

The dumbest trade I've seen in a longtime. We scrapped ourselves on both sides of the ball for a mystery man. John Hart got lucky in Cleveland. He surrounded himself around great scouts those playoff years. I'm not buying it. Makes the Jason Heyward trade look even worse as far as paying talent goes.

Not sure we can grade the Heyward trade yet. Jenkins is still in the minors but could make a September appearance and should compete for a back end of the rotation spot next spring. Miller has looked good to dominant, he just gets no run support.  If Heyward doesn't resign with the Cards it is a disaster trade for them and really good for us. 

• Like 1

In all trades, there is always a big IF!

Braves have, as of late, been gathering pitching prospects like they were

raking leaves in the fall of the year.

Right now they are getting very good pitching on the major league level

and they have a very heavy backload of minor league pitching.  Great

pitching has always been the calling card of all our great Braves teams.

As great as our pitching has been and as good as our defense is, which

is necessary for us to have great pitching, where has the hitting been?

Braves lose game after game with no timely hitting.

The Braves know more than most of us about their players and the players

available out there.  Desperately, I believe, they need hitting and that is

who and what they have gone after.

Here's that big IF.  If their new player is as good as they believe and he can

come in and play every day, a player who plays every day is worth more

than a player who plays every 5th day isn't he?

All trades come with this notation attached:  "Wait and see how this works out."

I have no clue...I don't get it. Olivera better be Puig-lite like.

One can only hope.

Only way this trade make sense is if the Barves know Woods' arm is about to fall off and Peraza is gonna bust.

One can only hope.

Only way this trade make sense is if the Barves know Woods' arm is about to fall off and Peraza is gonna bust.

One of my good friends is a Dodger fan and said that Olivera was the Dodgers prized possession. He is supposed to be the next big thing. I hope he's right.

One of my good friends is a Dodger fan and said that Olivera was the Dodgers prized possession. He is supposed to be the next big thing. I hope he's right.

I don't wish injury on any player so let's just say I kinda hope the trade completely falls through for LA.  They're becoming my most hated organization outside of the gNats and their entitled yet haven't really accomplished anything arses.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Atlanta now has Hector Olivera.  Where is he?  What has happened to him?

We know he was injured, but now that he is a Brave, we hear nothing more.

Shouldn't we be getting reports on how he is getting along?  Where did he go?

Where are the pictures?  We see and hear nothing.

scenic.gif