• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Development whatif

Diesel

I love how people miss the link with the quote:  "Moments after the Hawks traded for Tiago Splitter on Wednesday, former Atlanta forward DeMarre Carroll announced on Instagram that he’ll play in Toronto next season for the Raptors."

And again,,,  "It still seems likely Millsap goes back to the Hawks, and the acquisition of Tiago Splitter from the San Antonio Spurs appeared to signal the end of the DeMarre Carroll era in Atlanta."

Ah yes, the twitter timing of events indicates that Tiago was traded for before DeMarre announced via instagram. Apologies Diesel.

What about everything else? Like, actually framing the question in a manner that is consistent with what we would know had to happen in order to keep Paul and DeMarre? I'm guessing you ignoring that is a way to agree.

(and the facepalm wasn't for timing, it was for the unbelievable characterization of DeMarre versus Tiago)

I love how people miss the link with the quote: "Moments after the Hawks traded for Tiago Splitter on Wednesday, former Atlanta forward DeMarre Carroll announced on Instagram that he’ll play in Toronto next season for the Raptors."

And again,,, "It still seems likely Millsap goes back to the Hawks, and the acquisition of Tiago Splitter from the San Antonio Spurs appeared to signal the end of the DeMarre Carroll era in Atlanta."

I remember hearing that DMC won't be back before the Splitter deal which meant management knew DMC was taking the money. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Thompson definately isn't worth the 18 per his agent (LeBron) is asking for, but he's a championship level piece all day. He never does anything outside of his skill set and makes excellent decisions and passes after offensive rebounds. Depending on the matchup, he can go from average to very good defensively.

Edited by benhillboy

Look man, even in this magical world of ifs and buts, had we signed Demarre to a 15 mil contract we would all be bitching about over paying for him and saying that BudCox is in over their head and we would have been better off finding 2 or 3 role players for that same price tag. Well guess what....thats what we did. Instead of overpaying for 1 role playing SF who played above his head down the stretch we picked up two wings, a center and resigned one of our top 3 players. Demarre is arguably not even one of our 5 best guys depending on how you see Dennis and some are bitching because we didnt pay him what would have been the 2nd highest contract on the team....cmon man

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

**Ding** **Ding**  DMC isn't worth anywhere near $15 mil per years and Toronto will find out the hard way that destroying your salary structure destroys your team!

I don't think it's that easy.  Next year's bump and the bump after that will make DeMarre's signing very palatable.   Moreover, what if he does turn out to be the guy who carried our band of injured players through the playoffs?  He'll be a good acquisition.  I'm not saying we should have tried to keep him, I'm just saying that with the possibility of us having quicker development, will he be missed. 

Moreover, I don't disagree that the Hawks knew that DMC was a wrap going into July 1.  It was definitely a choice.. we choose Paul and salary flex for this season.  However, the Splitter trade was not something that was done at the last minute.  I'm sure we planned that one out and followed San Antonio's lead.  When San Antonio knew they could probably get LaMarcus, they called us.  We thought about it and we decided some time before that we would keep Paul and triage DMC... so the timing of it while relevant.. is moot... it just shows when DMC knew it was over.  Still, it doesn't change the fact that we planned it this way before it happened.    As it stands, we could have kept last years team... with a lot of movement.  However, the real question goes back to what somebody else stated.. was he worth it to us?

I don't think it's that easy.  Next year's bump and the bump after that will make DeMarre's signing very palatable.   Moreover, what if he does turn out to be the guy who carried our band of injured players through the playoffs?  He'll be a good acquisition.  I'm not saying we should have tried to keep him, I'm just saying that with the possibility of us having quicker development, will he be missed. 

Moreover, I don't disagree that the Hawks knew that DMC was a wrap going into July 1.  It was definitely a choice.. we choose Paul and salary flex for this season.  However, the Splitter trade was not something that was done at the last minute.  I'm sure we planned that one out and followed San Antonio's lead.  When San Antonio knew they could probably get LaMarcus, they called us.  We thought about it and we decided some time before that we would keep Paul and triage DMC... so the timing of it while relevant.. is moot... it just shows when DMC knew it was over.  Still, it doesn't change the fact that we planned it this way before it happened.    As it stands, we could have kept last years team... with a lot of movement.  However, the real question goes back to what somebody else stated.. was he worth it to us?

The cap is expected to be around 90 million next year which would mean Demarre will take up 1/6 of their cap space.  I would say that's still too much for Demarre.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

The cap is expected to be around 90 million next year which would mean Demarre will take up 1/6 of their cap space.  I would say that's still too much for Demarre.

I don't disagree.  And they don't play the type of ball that he can thrive with.  However, I see some major moves that they will have to make simply given the talent they have and the style of play that they need to do to make it work.  IF they can change things around, then he will be a very good piece.  Probably the best piece they have.  If not, he will be wasted money.

• Moderators

The best thing for DMC's chances in Toronto is that nobody is going to get confused into thinking the team should revolve around him.  Offensively, Jonas, Lowry and DeRozan are going to be the top options.  Defensively, DMC is supposed to help upgrade their perimeter D.  He can do that and function well as a 4th or 5th option on offense.  If they expect him to run iso's and carry the team they will be hugely disappointed but I have a hard time thinking they are that delusional.

• Premium Member

The best thing for DMC's chances in Toronto is that nobody is going to get confused into thinking the team should revolve around him.  Offensively, Jonas, Lowry and DeRozan are going to be the top options.  Defensively, DMC is supposed to help upgrade their perimeter D.  He can do that and function well as a 4th or 5th option on offense.  If they expect him to run iso's and carry the team they will be hugely disappointed but I have a hard time thinking they are that delusional.

I agree with this.  However, if they are trying to shift to being a ball rotation/Team D kind of team, then he's a great 3 and D guy and they would have to take some of the ballstoppers and trade them for more useful pieces.   The thing I see is that DeRozan is a guy who fits either style of play.  Probably the ball rotation better because he's not needy on the offensive end.

Whatif Walter develops into good starter quality C and Muscala develops into a good backup.

Would you regret trading for Splitter and not resigning DMC?

That would be great. I wouldn't regret it. If anything Splitter might not be in ATL long term anyways with the way centers are getting paid these days. If anything, that would be great insurance. DMC is not worth $15 million UNLESS the Hawks would have won the title this past year but that didn't happen. 

Edited by BigDog90