• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks are most likely done for the offseason

aali34

• Premium Member

Lately some people seem excited that the hawks might snag some decent small forward when teams start dropping players. I don't think we should get our hopes up. There are 14 guaranteed contracts without Lamar Patterson or Terran Petteway. Unless this is some huge acquisition that can make an immediate impact. I don't expect anything. My guess is that they might unload some of the shooting guards we have or Shelvin Mack/ Mike Scott r maybe even Muscala to make room next year or make a trade this year. You have to give up something to gain something.

Also, I've been thinking, do we really need a new small forward? The only big guns that scare me are Lebron ,KD , Melo,Paul George, and Kawhi Leonard. I honestly think Sefolosha if healthy can do a better job than Demarre handling those guys. Even though we lose some shooting, we get, a better rebounder and playmaker in the starting lineup. So unless we get someone like Nicolas Batum, I'm keeping quiet.

Edited by aali34

My anticipation for the upcoming season made the summer go by as fast as I can remember. In 20 years I believe baseball coverage will be a footnote like and hockey with the steadily inclining popularity of the NBA and NFL. Hopefully soccer doesn't get any bigger than it is, I can't take it. Only a month till tip off. Lets Go.

• Premium Member

Thabo isn't capable of guarding Lebron or Melo for long stretches, esp. in the playoffs. We absolutely blew it trading that 15th pick away for a very flawed shooting guard in Hardaway.  We should have drafted a SF or at least used the pick to trade for one.

I don't expect us to make any other roster changes this year unless they can unload Mack on someone.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We went into last season with 15 contracts, 2 of which were considered developmental players at the time.

I think there's a good chance that we pick up 1 more developmental type player, but it's only a hunch based on that history.

Thing is, some teams are going into training camp overloaded at SF, and simply aren't going to be able to get down to 15 without unloading one, if not two.

Thabo isn't capable of guarding Lebron or Melo for long stretches, esp. in the playoffs. We absolutely blew it trading that 15th pick away for a very flawed shooting guard in Hardaway. We should have drafted a SF or at least used the pick to trade for one.

I don't expect us to make any other roster changes this year unless they can unload Mack on someone.

Technically, we DID draft one.

• Like 1

Lately some people seem excited that the hawks might snag some decent small forward when teams start dropping players. I don't think we should get our hopes up. There are 14 guaranteed contracts without Lamar Patterson or Terran Petteway. Unless this is some huge acquisition that can make an immediate impact. I don't expect anything. My guess is that they might unload some of the shooting guards we have or Shelvin Mack/ Mike Scott r maybe even Muscala to make room next year or make a trade this year. You have to give up something to gain something.

Also, I've been thinking, do we really need a new small forward? The only big guns that scare me are Lebron ,KD , Melo,Paul George, and Kawhi Leonard. I honestly think Sefolosha if healthy can do a better job than Demarre handling those guys. Even though we lose some shooting, we get, a better rebounder and playmaker in the starting lineup. So unless we get someone like Nicolas Batum, I'm keeping quiet.

Sefolosha can't stay healthy long-term. Even when he was in OKC, he couldn't stay healthy. It's great Bazemore got some playoff experience guarding LeBron, Pierce, etc. I don't think SF will be as big of an issue since they'll have more healthy bodies and the fact they got Splitter.

• Premium Member

Sefolosha can't stay healthy long-term. Even when he was in OKC, he couldn't stay healthy. It's great Bazemore got some playoff experience guarding LeBron, Pierce, etc. I don't think SF will be as big of an issue since they'll have more healthy bodies and the fact they got Splitter.

I don't think that is a fair comparison. In OKC he and KD had no solid backups and he was the only defensive option they had at the wing, which means he obviously played more minutes. I think even without Demmare him and Bazemore could shore up the wing defense pretty well. I'm thinking Coach Bud might go with the Tim Duncan approach of giving him a certain amount of minutes. He has way better backups in Bazemore and hopefully Hardaway

Edited by aali34

• Premium Member

I just can't agree on Bazemore. He can fill-in as a stop-gap on a short-term basis, but you can't go into an 82-game season, plus whatever number of post-season games thinking he's going to be a legit SF for the long haul. He just doesn't have the body frame for that, and he's going to leave you exposed with the better SFs.

I'm also not impressed with the Kazemi signing, though I reserve the right to change my mind since we really haven't gotten to see him play D on the wing very much. I'm happy that he's an accomplished rebounder, and I'm happy that he's earned a reputation as a hustle points guy. But he should either make the team or not based on whether he can be a shut down SF, since it seems obvious he's not going to be an offensive force in any way.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Korver and Sef, though, have what I consider to be SF bodyframes, though... in fact, I have to say Sef is one of those unique guys who I don't think it really matters whether he's defending the 2 or the 3. Korver needs to play 2 mainly because it gives him an advantage at the offensive end (ie, as long as your 3 is a legit 3 who the opposition needs to guard with another legit 3).

Glass half-empty, I really worry a bit about Korver both b/c of his recent health and b/c I think he's going to end up getting defended by more 3s this season (since he's so likely to end up with the other wing being a 2 in reality, and the opposition will guard with a 2).

• Moderators

I have no worries about Sef on defense against SFs.  His only worry is health.  I worry about all our other wigs against SFs (such as the following:  Harris, Lebron, Carmelo, the Greek Freak, Paul George, and other less prominent but larger massed wing players in the East).  I fear we are going to see a lot of action this season that is the equivalent of guarding a SG with a point.

• Moderators

I think all those teams will happily match those guys up against our SG brigade and post them up all day.  The reason to put them at PF is their mobility gives them an advantage against larger defenders.  That isn't the case with Sap and Horford.  It's a strategic weakness for us.  

• Premium Member

Been watching some summer league footage, and I'm still not seeing anything that suggests Kazemi is capable of playing on the wing... think he has good BBIQ, but just don't think he has the foot speed at all to be a viable option for the 15th slot.. that is, unless we get the news handed down that we're going to need another PF (ie, Scott).

Btw, read somewhere today that Bud confirmed that they do have every intention of going to war with 15 guys, not 14.

I look for us to be seriously watching for someone to be the odd-man out for some other team's 15-man. Who knows... there's still some chance that our old summer league friend GR3 could be that odd-man out.

Edited by sturt

I think all those teams will happily match those guys up against our SG brigade and post them up all day. The reason to put them at PF is their mobility gives them an advantage against larger defenders. That isn't the case with Sap and Horford. It's a strategic weakness for us.

I'm sure Millsap will spend more time than usual guarding the SF's vs some teams.

I don't think that is a fair comparison. In OKC he and KD had no solid backups and he was the only defensive option they had at the wing, which means he obviously played more minutes. I think even without Demmare him and Bazemore could shore up the wing defense pretty well. I'm thinking Coach Bud might go with the Tim Duncan approach of giving him a certain amount of minutes. He has way better backups in Bazemore and hopefully Hardaway

He only averaged over 30 minutes a game in his first season in OKC, he played less than 30 in the rest of his years in OKC. He was also in his 20's until his last year in OKC.