• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We're a flawed Team.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Just like the OL and DL in football wins games.   Rebounding in Basketball wins games ...in the playoffs.  I'm glad we out pointed the Knicks.  However, they are the knicks.  Our rebounding was still atrocious.  We've been terrible for the last 4 years.  I think rebounding we've never been higher than 25 in that time.   There's a reason.  Horf is not a good rebounder.  On occasion, he'll get you 9-10 but against quality, that doesn't happen.  Also, Korver is not so good either.   So we have these trade offs.  Korver and Al are players that bring in offense but they don't get boards.   We can't move them easily.  So what should we do?

I was hoping that Tiago was going to be the answer.  However, he's not much different than Pero.  I hold out hope for Edy, but if Edy cannot be counted on for Points, then he will never been a 20 mpg player.   Knowing that Reggie Evans is still a free agent makes me think, why not sacrifice a young Sf like Holiday for a guy like Evans who can give us 12 strong minutes of defense and rebounding?

Part of the problem is that we get back on defense faster than other teams, or so it seems, but you're right. I've been disappointed with Splitter so far in that Category. Despite Horfords offensive prowess, he's pretty soft inside and isn't a good rebounder. We could use a cheaper version of Tristan Thompson, which probably doesn't exist.

6 minutes ago, DrReality said:

Flawed post

Sorry to the OP but @DrReality wins this thread.  I mean, Reggie Evans?  We talkin' about Reggie Evans?

Do we need to rebound better?  Yes.  However, let's wait a few games before we push the panic button.

• Premium Member

Diesel is right that this has been a problem for years. I love Boss but he doesn't seem to attack the glass with the same intensity after tearing his pec twice. Go back and watch him pre injury and then last year and the first two games. Could be that Bud just wants our bigs to box out and let the wings collect boards but we need a far better effort from Horford and Paul.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RamblinCharger said:

Part of the problem is that we get back on defense faster than other teams, or so it seems, but you're right. I've been disappointed with Splitter so far in that Category. Despite Horfords offensive prowess, he's pretty soft inside and isn't a good rebounder. We could use a cheaper version of Tristan Thompson, which probably doesn't exist.

I get the impression that Bud doesn't really beat anyone up about offensive rebounds, willing to sacrifice on that end to excel at preventing cheap points on the other end. But defensive rebounds is a different story. It's agreed that we don't see any improvement yet, but I for one am slow to reach any conclusions after two regular season games--yes, I know, in spite of the previous history of Bud's teams. I want to see the several new pieces to the roster get settled in first, and I'm thinking it's reasonable to at least give it the first 10% of the season. 

Moreover, a guy who is statistically among our best rebounders, if not our best rebounder, was nursing an ankle last night, right?

Having said that... I'll take this opportunity to beat my drum again...

At that point that Bud gets comfortable with Lamar as the #3 PG, the path to resolving the situation is to find a taker for Shelvin to create that roster slot... ie, one for the big SF that Carmelo demonstrated last night we might seriously wish to have if/when we have to meet up with some other big SFs in the post-season.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Just like the OL and DL in football wins games.   Rebounding in Basketball wins games ...in the playoffs.  I'm glad we out pointed the Knicks.  However, they are the knicks.  Our rebounding was still atrocious.  We've been terrible for the last 4 years.  I think rebounding we've never been higher than 25 in that time.   There's a reason.  Horf is not a good rebounder.  On occasion, he'll get you 9-10 but against quality, that doesn't happen.  Also, Korver is not so good either.   So we have these trade offs.  Korver and Al are players that bring in offense but they don't get boards.   We can't move them easily.  So what should we do?

I was hoping that Tiago was going to be the answer.  However, he's not much different than Pero.  I hold out hope for Edy, but if Edy cannot be counted on for Points, then he will never been a 20 mpg player.   Knowing that Reggie Evans is still a free agent makes me think, why not sacrifice a young Sf like Holiday for a guy like Evans who can give us 12 strong minutes of defense and rebounding?

Really? Splitter is pretty physical, Pero was not. 

• Premium Member

I've said on many occasion that Bud does not value rebounding and he doesn't!  He will not sacrifice his perception of a player's ability to execute his offense for a rebounder....Teams have done this many times over the years with players like Asik, Robin Lopez, Deadre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, and even our own Tiago Splitter etc but Bud won't even consider it which means it isn't a high priority for him.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, hazer said:

It's. By. Design.....:ahf:

On the defensive end?

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I've said on many occasion that Bud does not value rebounding and he doesn't!  He will not sacrifice his perception a player's ability to execute his offense for a rebounder....Teams have done many times over with players like Asik, Robin Lopez, Deadre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, and even our own Tiago Splitter etc but Bud won't even consider it which means it isn't a high priority for him.

Acquiring Splitter might be a sign that he sees it as an area important enough to improve.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

On the defensive end?

Acquiring Splitter might be a sign that he sees it as an area important enough to improve.

They had 9 more rebounds than us.  We had 32 defensive boards and they had 32 defensive boards.    Now they missed a lot more shots so maybe you can make the case we should have had more and kept them off the offensive glass better but the hawks emphasizing getting back over offensive rebounds as well as the fact that we shot 50% from the field has a little something to do with it.

• Like 2

Reggie Miller was wise enough during the broadcast to mention that Hawks' offensive rebounding nimbers often have everything to do with shooting %, and getting back quickly on D. Hawks won by double digits and were even on defensive rebounds. It's. By. Design :Bud:

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, hazer said:

32-32.....

Giving up offensive rebounds is the metric on defensive rebounding.  Just because we don't grab offensive rebounds ourselves doesn't mean we should give up more defensive rebounds than other teams.  To the contrary, it means we should have our defense set when the opponent initiates its offense more often than other teams and therefore be in better rebounding position on the defensive end.

Sap had 11, Bawse had 9, hell Threezus had 7 as a SG. Hawks won by double digits. Were even with Knicks on defensive rebounds. Y'all forget ours is not a "conventional" team and conventional is not going to happen under this COTY...

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, sturt said:

Of 48 opportunities at NYK's end of the court, we got 32 of the rebounds... they got 16.

Of 39 opportunities at our end, they got 32... we got 9.

Percentage wise, yes, they clearly beat us up.

I don't think what the other team does on defensive rebounding is really relevant since we forego those opportunities.  If you compare the two ends, we will always look bad.   What we really need to look at is that 32 (our defensive rebounds) to 16 (their offensive rebounds) ratio and compare that to how the rest of the league is performing.  Of course, one or two games doesn't mean much anyway so we'll need a larger sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Acquiring Splitter was a sign that he saw Pero as an area important enough to improve...