• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

One key offensive woe.....

JTB

Has anyone noticed how badly Teague and Dennis are shooting from the field compared to last year?

They are both between 40-43% on FG%....that is a major problem and knowing this info I can't seem to understand why bud would roll them out together at the same time as neither are scoring  efficient enough to be relied on so far. I get that bud likes the speed of the two as they can really up the tempo but dammit neither can put the ball in the hole this season consistently.

Meanwhile.....Bazemore, Sap, Horford, Korver are shooting lights out in the first 13 games. Should we get these guys to shoot the ball more?

Out of all the problems on offense mentioned around here this one has been ignored. We don't have a superstar so the Hawks thrive off of efficiency which they proved to be highly capable of last season and last season both Teague and Dennis were efficient throughout the regular season and is one of the main reasons Teague got to the ASG. Maybe we wouldn't have so many other offensive problems if our damn guards weren't putting so much pressure on the rest of the group  to drop points efficiently. I understand that there are other problems but if our PGs can fix this area of their game then it's damn near a gurantee that most offensive woes will go away including the need for our team to get offensive boards.

We didn't need offense rebounds last year cause our team was efficient. If there's no need for offensive rebounds the team can have more energy to get back in transition defense which they are designed to do on every possession.

So one huge offensive problem I see that could solve ALL offensive problems is fixing our point guards shooting from the field to be more efficient. It wasn't an issue last year, let's not make it one this season....LOL I think most believed this was going to be Bazemores problem not Teague or Dennis.

Go Hawks!

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Dennis wasn't efficient last season.

One thing that teams are doing is daring both PGs to shoot as they are awful jump shooters.

True...I was thinking about Dennis improved 3pt shot from the prior year (rookie season)

well Teague sure as hell was more efficient last year. i want to see ASG Teague come back....oh and I hate to say it but you may be on to something with that! Being that in the ECF the cavs dared Teague to shoot and he responded horribly 

Edited by JTB

You know what would help our offensive woes?...... our starting BIGS trying and scoring in the paint.

2 of Al's 11 shots were within 6ft of the basket all other shots outside the paint.

2 of Millsap's 10 shots were within 6ft of the basket all other shots outside the paint.

Dennis had more shots IN THE PAINT than both combined.

Our PGs needs to be more efficient but we have bigger problems than that.

Acutally I  think this is a non-issue. Teague and Schröder create their shots themselves, the other players have many more open shots after passes from other players.

Compared to the other guards in the league, they are middle-of-the pack in terms of FG% and TS%. Sure, they can be better, but saying "let the ygus with better FG% shoot more" is too simple, because it ignores the reasons why these players shoot higher percentages.

• Like 1

Sometimes the Hawks use the "Drive & Kick" and it works.  Sometimes they pass up a shot

for a better shot AND   sometimes they play "Hot Potato" with the ball and no one scores.

I hate it when the buzzer goes off, the time has expired and everyone is still passing the ball.

The poker players song, "You've got to know when to hold 'em"  applies in the NBA too!

Last night, on more than one occasion, the Hawk's guard drove inside and had his shot blocked.

And, if they kick to the open team mate and he misses, there goes your assist total.

Let's stop that three point barrage, hit our free throws and win one!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Premium Member

I think inside scoring is our Achilles heel.  We  have to do what we can to get easy buckets or find better personnel.   IF we have no inside play, I don't think our shooters are Golden State enough to make up for the lose of inside scoring... and even GS has Bogut/Festus controlling the paint.   The weakness of the Hawks is showing more and more to be Al Horford.  We go as he goes.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

I think inside scoring is our Achilles heel.  We  have to do what we can to get easy buckets or find better personnel.   IF we have no inside play, I don't think our shooters are Golden State enough to make up for the lose of inside scoring... and even GS has Bogut/Festus controlling the paint.   The weakness of the Hawks is showing more and more to be Al Horford.  We go as he goes.

Weakness or strength.   I think Horford can still be one of the best centers in the conference.   But I agree with the other part.   Inside scoring is a bigger problem than rebounding in my opinion.   We did it pretty well last year so there's no reason to think we can't again.   Millsap has to be the offensive leader of this team.   Every one else is a jump shooter except the PGs but they aren't getting easy buckets at the rim on teams that play good D.  

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, HorfordFTW said:

It was cool when millsap and horf where trying to add another element of their game.. now its literally become horfords only element. He used to be able to bang down low too its sad.

Horford was never good at scoring efficiently in the paint or drawing fouls honestly. He is actually probably better at scoring inside now than he was before, he just doesn't do it enough

• Like 1