• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How Kyle Korver Is Making Long Twos Sexy Again

Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens once said of Kyle Korver:

"You have to treat him like he averages 30 (points per game), or else it could be 30."

The other 28 opposing head coaches around the NBA likely share the same sentiment.

shotchart_1449586411363.png

Being the focus of defensive schemes means Korver doesn't always get to take as many shots as he and his coaches would like, even as the attention paid to him opens up opportunities for his teammates. 

This season though, Korver has found extra attempts by using the long two-point shot. Last season, he took just 14.9% of his shots from 16 to 24 feet. This season, that percentage has almost doubled: 27.3%.

Korver sees the shot's use as a means to get extra attempts.

"I'm trying to get more shots," Korver said. "I'm really being guarded hard on the three-point line. There's just not a lot of space to pull up from three a lot of time. I'm trying not to overdo it. I have no idea what the percentages are, but I feel like I'm shooting them okay."

Shooting them okay would be an understatement. Korver has made 50% (22/44 FG) of his long twos on the season, a percentage typically associated with elite mid-range marksmanship.

A common sight for Hawks fans this season has been Korver sprinting around a screen or running to catch a dribble handoff near the three-point line. His defender typically chases him "over" the screen, meaning that the defender follows Korver's path on the side of the screener furthest from the hoop. When defenses do that, he can find a sliver of daylight for an attempt by taking one step toward the hoop before shooting. 

The increase in mid-range shots holds another advantage too. Korver says taking mid-range shots keeps his shot volume higher, which helps him keep a feel for his jumper.

"I need to keep on getting shots to try to find rhythm and stay in rhythm," he said.

The long two-point shot isn't terribly in-vogue in the NBA these days. Most teams seek three-pointers and shots near the rim. The math says that a shooter who can make 4 out of 10 three-point shots scores more points than one who make 5 out of 10 two-pointers. At the same time, putting the midrange shot in the hands of an artist like Korver keeps defenses moving, scores points at an effective rate, and gives opponents one more thing to be anxious about.

"It's another way to find shots," Korver said of his long twos, "and hopefully if I knock down a few of those, then people will get more worried about that."

Story by KL Chouinard

http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/how-kyle-korver-making-long-twos-sexy-again

I commend him for curating his mid-range game and still being a true shooting monster, but not having any of the top 20 3-point shooters in the league is not Hawks Basketball.  I've always felt Kyle's three point attempts were a great barometer for us: as good as .429 on 4.6 attempts is, I would've thought those were Anthony Morrow's numbers, not a guy who rivaled Steph's range shooting for a couple years.  

We absolutely require near .500 on 7 attempts to run optimally, especially with his defense fading fast.  This assist-based system should never score under 90, yet we have 3 times already.  At least he's back on pace to shoot more of them than Al and Dennis, Jesus.  Hopefully this extended practice time will open up some more options when Kyle is guarded so tightly, we can't just allow him to be taken away from three, stand around, and panic as the shot clock dwindles.

I was very upset when I read the article concerning his offseason training, stair climbing, and elbow surgery.  From what I understand trainers "rebuilt" his shot.  I thought the "20 point shot checklist" worked pretty well for him.  That was either the dumbest thing he's ever done in his life or realization that he'll never return to his peak form, I'm guessing the latter.

Sh$ts crazy, Al is taking the shots Pero used to take, Kyle taking shots Al should be taking.  His decline is coming 2+ years after I expected though so I'll just sit back and enjoy whatever he gives us.

Oh, please. @JayBirdHawk thinks whatever Kial does is seggsy.

Seriously though, I wonder if it's by design or if it's a byproduct of him not quite being bak from the surgeries.  Wait, did the article  say that?  I ain't gon lie, I gleaned thru it.

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Korver been garbage ever since he got to the all-star game last year....he is half the reason the hawk's are not the same team they were early last year.....

I thought Hardaway was brought to Atlanta to rectify that......

You do know that's also right about or soon there after when he started having elbow problems,  hence the off season surgery. He saud he has to adjust his shooting mechanics in season.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You do know that's also right about or soon there after when he started having elbow problems,  hence the off season surgery. He saud he has to adjust his shooting mechanics in season.

No @JayBirdHawk Korver is garbage.     Just look at his shotchart.   It's all green like Oscar the grouch.  

http://on.nba.com/1PVWget

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Don't let the fax get in the way of a good, albeit ill-informed, rant.

Not only is his three point shooting a great part of his offense, his defense is much better than

some want to give him credit for and, with his high basketball IQ, he is considered a coach on

the floor at any time he plays.  Washed up has been?  Hardly.