• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why was Dennis out last night??

Wurider05

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Mack has been featured on the Hawks website, promoting that Knicks game too.  The banner on the website is probably the same as the billboard.

Maybe they ARE showcasing Mack to a team, so that he could be traded for someone else, or a draft pick.  If Bud could flip a guy like Mack for a decent wing that could immediately be thrown into the rotation, what will Bud's critics say then?

I will say what no one else will:

Mack played more minutes than Teague last game.  

Ergo they are trading Teague, starting Mack and keeping Dennis as the backup.

there_ive_said_it_house_of_cards.gif

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I will say what no one else will:

Mack played more minutes than Teague last game.  

Ergo they are trading Teague, starting Mack and keeping Dennis as the backup.

there_ive_said_it_house_of_cards.gif

And that right there folks is what you call the straight dope...thank you @JayBirdHawk :-)

31 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Years ago, someone started the silly trend of making statements they knew to be false to be false and providing a link to prove it was credible.  People clink on the link and there's Rick Astley.  Hence the term Rick rolled.

Ah, well shipping of Mack is sounding pretty good to me.  That dude can be the backup PG on a lot of NBA teams.  He's cheap.  I wouldn't doubt we could get something for him--he has value.  Maybe, just maybe, we trade him clearing the way for Timmy Jr. to start dressing out and working into the rotation.  Maybe, it's a coincidence that Dennis's benching coincided with Hardaway's breakout 30 point in 25 minutes game in the NBA-DL.  Maybe so, maybe not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79NAC9vNThU  [go to 4:25 if you want to understand relevance]

Edited by bumpyphish1

vor 2 Stunden, hawksfanatic sagte:

Maybe in Germany, Rick Astley is highly regarded and the whole "Never Gonna Give You Up" is like the German version of Taps?

RIP Dennis! Gone but not forgotten!!

The Hoff is actually that guy. And rightfully so. Knight Rider, German herritage and best leather jacket ever.

Well let me just blame all of it on monday mornings after the holiday-season is over....

• Moderators

I've been a huge fan of Bud but are we really just rewarding guys for working hard?   This is the nba not little league.     You can work your ass off but if you don't have the talent it isn't going to make any difference.   And add to that if guys around the league see that fringe players with half the talent will take your minutes because they work their asses off in practice you can bet a lot of guys aren't going to want to come here.  

• Like 3

vor 3 Minuten, macdaddy sagte:

I've been a huge fan of Bud but are we really just rewarding guys for working hard?   This is the nba not little league.     You can work your ass off but if you don't have the talent it isn't going to make any difference.   And add to that if guys around the league see that fringe players with half the talent will take your minutes because they work their asses off in practice you can bet a lot of guys aren't going to want to come here.  

I thought Mack wasn't a bad back up, before two years ... Last season wasn't good, this season he hadn't the chance to show his talents, but i belive he had enough talent to be in the NBA and is a relativ good 3rd String PG.

But since jef and Dennis are healthy most of the time, he needs some practice to be ready when someone got injured and dennis played a lot of games the last 1.5 years (euro cup quali, summer league, preseason, rs, po, euro cup ...) with few time off so maybe he needs a little rest too, so why not give the team incentive to work hard even off the games in recognizing it.

Dennis Schröder might return to action Tuesday night when the Atlanta Hawks seek to attone for Sunday’s loss to the Knicks, or he might not. Head coach Mike Budenholzer didn’t say on Monday why the backup point guard was not deployed in the Hawks’ last two games, nor what it will take for him to play again.

Schröder played in the Hawks’ first 33 games, starting six times, but registered consecutive DNP-CDs as Atlanta rallied on Dec. 29 to win 121-115 in Houston, and then lost 111-97 Sunday at New York.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CrazyEye said:

I thought Mack wasn't a bad back up, before two years ... Last season wasn't good, this season he hadn't the chance to show his talents, but i belive he had enough talent to be in the NBA and is a relativ good 3rd String PG.

But since jef and Dennis are healthy most of the time, he needs some practice to be ready when someone got injured and dennis played a lot of games the last 1.5 years (euro cup quali, summer league, preseason, rs, po, euro cup ...) with few time off so maybe he needs a little rest too, so why not give the team incentive to work hard even off the games in recognizing it.

I don't have anything against Mack.  He could definitely be getting minutes on a lot of teams in the league.   But to me Dennis is more talented and has a bigger impact on the game.    I just don't like the trend that guys like Mack and Patterson are getting playing time because 'they've been working their butt off in practice'  rather than because they actually help us win games.     I feel like Bud is in a rut right now and is paying more attention to whether guys are running the sets properly and not enough to who actually can score.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think it will keep players from coming here. We don't have to worry about this issue with our starters. 

I agree though about the practice thing though. Practice is important but winning games is even more important. Mack could def use some minutes but I think Bud could find a way to give all 3 PG's minutes instead of it being Mack or Schröder playing. Same with with our wacky Patterson/Holiday/Hardaway rotation. 

49 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I don't think it will keep players from coming here. We don't have to worry about this issue with our starters. 

I agree though about the practice thing though. Practice is important but winning games is even more important. Mack could def use some minutes but I think Bud could find a way to give all 3 PG's minutes instead of it being Mack or Schröder playing. Same with with our wacky Patterson/Holiday/Hardaway rotation. 

There is no reason to force the issue to play 3 PGs. If our starters and 1st bench rotation guys could hold the big leads they sometimes get, then those are Mack's minutes.  But they can't seem to hold leads. 

I don't buy the "showcasing Mack" theory.

There are more than enough minutes at PG/SG to go around between Korver, Teague and Schröder to let Mack play ~15 Minutes (plus/minus some depending on how the game goes) per game to "showcase" him. You don't need to bench your young and still developing backup point guard who played very well  up to that point completely and actually jeopardize wins for it. We are not talking "Blockbuster" trade material here, were are talking about a 2nd/3rd string point guard.

If that were the case, it would be a horrible move and I would be pissed as hell as Dennis Schröder.

At this point I hope for it to be about a trade of Schröder. Because benching a 6th man "indefinetly" for (undisclosed) disciplinary reasons would take a whole lot to have happened. Which obviously would be bad news for all sides.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

There is no reason to force the issue to play 3 PGs. If our starters and 1st bench rotation guys could hold the big leads they sometimes get, then those are Mack's minutes.  But they can't seem to hold leads. 

I don't think Bud should force it, but I would rather see him be more willing to play whatever backup is playing better if the game allows it. Picking one backup and sticking with them regardless of what happens can get a little frustrating.

There have been times when Schröder struggled I hoped to see Mack get a shot. Likewise with some of the struggles from our other players (Korver mainly). Bud seems headstrong on playing who he decides to play from the get go. Bud knows better than any of us what happens in practice though..

• Premium Member

The whole "showcasing Mack for a trade" is a stretch imo.  Bud's priority has always been winning games and playing Mack over Dennis doesn't contribute to that.  I also don't think it's a Dennis trade as he probably wouldn't be held out unless something was agreed upon which we have zero indication of.  Bud will never say, but something happened.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

The whole "showcasing Mack for a trade" is a stretch imo.  Bud's priority has always been winning games and playing Mack over Dennis doesn't contribute to that.  I also don't think it's a Dennis trade as he probably wouldn't be held out unless something was agreed upon which we have zero indication of.  Bud will never say, but something happened.

Yeah I agree.  My theory is there was a scuffle or words were said.  Rather than put it out there in the media they're being hush about it and making Dennis sit for a little bit.

• Like 2