• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The undying loyalty to the "system" at what price?

Wurider05

I have been thinking over the last few days about  Bud's system.  You all know that I felt that both Bud and Ferry were "too cool" for school and wanted to be the smartest guys in the room. My question is do you think that this has cost us talent because they don't fit the "system".  You have to have talent to win in this league. I really believe that these guys think that they can get anyone and plug them in. Bazemore's success is just going to feed their egos but sooner or later (rather) we are going to have to roll the dice. A good coach can make it work. The Spurs system would not be the Spurs system without hall of fame talent that was willing to go along with it. Bud is really being pig headed about the Kyle Korver situation and I am starting to wonder about the undying loyalty to the system.

• Premium Member

Until the system fails and Bud is gone, then we have to just go with it.   How many unsuccessful years have Pop had in San Antonio?  I know, I know, just go with me here...  IF in those Years that San Antonio didn't do nothing, Pop decided to change back to something more conventional, do you think they would have been as successful as they are now?
  You got to let a coach do his thing.   That's what I say about Bud.  I'm a fan of the Big Tuna and him talking about coming over to cook.  SO even if Bud doesn't do it my way, I would rather us trust him to do it his way.  And if his way doesn't pan out, then we let him go.  But until then, we stick with him and give him 100% support.

quote-if-they-want-you-to-cook-the-dinne

Bud IS trying to be the smartest guy in the room. He is NOT running the Spurs system set for set. He is taking the Spurs system, and EXPANDING it to the wings with his bigs.  Some "coordinators" are MEANT to be coordinators and not head coaches.......Bud appears to be one of those. Like Josh Daniels up in New England. Great offensive coordinator, but he cant LEAD a team. He CANT make adjustments as the head coach. Thats bud all the way....

The 'NFL Coordinator'  analogy is way off base.  Bud can't lead? He lead  a Hawks team without a BONAFIDE superstar to the ECF, a place they have NEVER been. Even in his 1st season after Al got injured made the playoffs and took #1 seed Indy to 7 games.

Bud is in year 3 of his head coaching tenure, just like our players have to learn and get better so does he.

I've said it before, and I will again.

The Hawks are one piece away from being legit contenders. However, I can't say that piece is going to be easy to obtain.

Even if they beg and plead, it's going to take at least two more solid to good seasons for marquee FAs to consider coming here as the overall vibe over this team, still bad. Blame the Southeast for being college sports crazy.

It's going to take good player evaluation in trading and the draft in the offseason or the offseason after.

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The 'NFL Coordinator'  analogy is way off base.  Bud can't lead? He lead  a Hawks team without a BONAFIDE superstar to the ECF, a place they have NEVER been. Even in his 1st season after Al got injured made the playoffs and took #1 seed Indy to 7 games.

Bud is in year 3 of his head coaching tenure, just like our players have to learn and get better so does he.

Couldn't agree more! well said

8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd consider Millsap a superstar.  What he does on a consistent basis is no different than the LaMarcus' in POR, etc.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Listening to an interview with Malik Rose this morning brought some insight to this topic.  While the Hawks are committed to this system of ball movement, pace and space, they are by no means blind according to Malik.  They do believe they need and want a star player if they want to win a title.  After playing the interview, one of the hosts (Brian Geltzeiler) offered his thoughts saying he knows the Hawks are and will be pursuing star players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Listening to an interview with Malik Rose this morning brought some insight to this topic.  While the Hawks are committed to this system of ball movement, pace and space, they are by no means blind according to Malik.  They do believe they need and want a star player if they want to win a title.  After playing the interview, one of the hosts (Brian Geltzeiler) offered his thoughts saying he knows the Hawks are and will be pursuing star players.

Is there a link to that interview or was it on the radio?

19 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm still buying in and I'm sure everyone in the organization is too. Coach is helping to advance the careers of every young player and coach he touches, you can sense the loyalty built within the organization in a short period of time.   

I just want the defense back on Hell Level (10 blocks from Al and Sap last night is Hell Level)  and Bud's offensive system will purr regardless of tweaks or setbacks that take place.  

The quotes from the D-League Showcase are very encouraging as well.