• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Dennis the best backup PG in the NBA?

L1xi

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/03/30/blogtable-the-best-backup-point-guard-in-the-nba-is/?ls=nbahpsplit2

Zitat

David Aldridge, TNT analyst: Isn’t The Professor always the answer? All right; if I have to pick someone besides 71-year-old Andre Miller, I’ll go with Shaun Livingston— who I don’t believe has missed a single shot this season. Maybe it just seems that way.

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com: If I were going by sheer numbers, I’d tip toward Atlanta’s Dennis Schröder. On a per-36-minute basis, the Hawks’ feisty backup to Jeff Teague is averaging nearly 20 points and eight assists.But one of the traits I value most in a backup PG is stability, which is why I choose Sacramento’s Darren Collison. He has the experience and temperament to master that role, leading the Kings’ reserves without unduly seeking out his own stats or disrupting the pecking order. At 16.5 points and 5.0 assists per 36 minutes, his numbers are strong enough — including a career-best 48.0 field-goal percentage and 39.8 percent on 3-pointers.

Fran Blinebury, NBA.com: G’day, Mate. I’m riding with Patty Mills. As coach Gregg Popovich micro-manages the minutes of his Big Three, Mills is playing more than 20 minutes per game behind Tony Parker. Mills keeps the pace up, penetrates and has a knack for hitting big 3s. He was instrumental in the 2014 championship runand even more important two years later in a graying lineup.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: Probably Shaun Livingston. He makes shots (though without great range) and smart plays, is dependable and has the size that not only can create mismatches but is also a nice contrast to Stephen Curry. Dennis Schröder is in the conversation as well. And Darren Collison, since he has returned to a backup role after starting last season.

Shaun Powell, NBA.comI love the spunk that Jeremy Lin is giving the Hornets, but my pick is Dennis Schröder of the Hawks, who has raised every facet of his game (11.5 points and 5 assists in 20 minutes per). Tough and fearless, Schröder has often played better this season than Jeff Teague, who slumped badly early on. I just wish the German would go all-out with his hair as he does on the court. Go full blond. Be daring.

Sekou Smith, NBA.com: I love the way Cory Joseph is being used in Toronto in relief of Kyle Lowry, as well as when he and Lowry work together. Coach Dwane Caseyfound something in that point guard rotation. But the best game changer at the position off the bench this season has been Atlanta’s Dennis Schröder. He can play at any speed and shreds defenses when he’s attacking the basket and finishing over much bigger players. Something has to give eventually with he andJeff Teague both wanting the keys to the car in Atlanta. But for now, Schröder will have to settle for being the best back-up point guard in the NBA.

Ian Thomsen, NBA.com: I’m going with Shaun Livingston because of his efficiency, experience and game-changing length. But the real proof is in the results: The Warriors have been as close to perfect as any team we’ve seen in two decades, and if Livingston wasn’t providing the highest level of leadership off the bench then we would definitely notice.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com’s All Ball blogA couple of names came to mind, guys who are currently backups but, given the chance, should or could be able to lead NBA teams: Ty Lawson, Brandon Jennings, Michael Carter-Williams. But to me the best back-up in the NBA is Atlanta’s Dennis Schröder. He ain’t perfect — Schröder can be inconsistent, his jumper needs improving, and he sometimes struggles with understanding when to attack and when to pull back. But when he’s on, Schröder keeps an All-Star in Jeff Teague on the bench during crunch time. And there aren’t a lot of back-ups who can say that.

Edited by L1xi
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

I think it's a lot of good names on the list:

Livingston, Mills, Lin, Schröder, and Corey Joseph are all in the top 5 of that conversation.  I don't know maybe Schro is the best of the bunch.  However, he is like Linsanity.  A lot like Lin.  Lin has always looked really good as a BU.

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

I think it's a lot of good names on the list:

Livingston, Mills, Lin, Schröder, and Corey Joseph are all in the top 5 of that conversation.  I don't know maybe Schro is the best of the bunch.  However, he is like Linsanity.  A lot like Lin.  Lin has always looked really good as a BU.

Lol Lin. Lin is garbage. The rest are good. Lin should be in the NBDL and never play in another NBA game again.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Lol Lin. Lin is garbage. The rest are good. Lin should be in the NBDL and never play in another NBA game again.

That is really overstating it.  He has been a decent reserve this season and showed he belongs in the NBA in the past.  Let's be real, he compares very favorably to several guards who have been on our NBA roster this season.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is really overstating it.  He has been a decent reserve this season and showed he belongs in the NBA in the past.  Let's be real, he compares very favorably to several guards who have been on our NBA roster this season.

Yeah, I gotta admit Lin is serviceable.  On some nights he's even decent.  He's a big reason why CHA is still in the playoffs and not fighting for that 8.5 spot.

Also, you gotta forgive @Spud2Nique.  He's down on Lin to mask the real scrub on that team.  Oh man, I'm in for it now.

• Admin

I guess it is how you look at it.  I agree Dennis is the best of the current bench point guards but he is a starter in training.

Livingston, Collison, Mills, Joseph, Lin are all career backups who will always be backups ... 

Dennis is having a great year and I expect something will happen the summer where either he or JT are moved to allow  both to start somewhere and for us to get a needed piece.

If we traded one of our PGs then the question would be who would I choose as a backup from the above career  backup list ,,, I would go with Collison.  I think he has the most well rounded game of the bunch.  After that it would be Joseph.

31 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I guess it is how you look at it.  I agree Dennis is the best of the current bench point guards but he is a starter in training.

Livingston, Collison, Mills, Joseph, Lin are all career backups who will always be backups ... 

Dennis is having a great year and I expect something will happen the summer where either he or JT are moved to allow  both to start somewhere and for us to get a needed piece.

If we traded one of our PGs then the question would be who would I choose as a backup from the above career  backup list ,,, I would go with Collison.  I think he has the most well rounded game of the bunch.  After that it would be Joseph.

This.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

No because he is a Hawk and Hawks fans value other teams' players more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or no, because Dennis is still a highly inconsistent player that dominates the ball and is still figuring out how to play the PG position effectively and make shots consistently. His usage is tops on the team, and disproportionate to his production. He will certainly have games where he is brilliant, but he will have some games where he is a real net negative out there. Overall his impact as far as Win shares goes is pretty meek. He will develop into a star player but he isn't there just yet. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AHF said:

Ok maybe not never play an NBA game but the guy is vastly overrated because he's Asian ..imo

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ok maybe not never play an NBA game but the guy is vastly overrated because he's Asian ..imo

Who thinks he is great?  He was overhyped in NY but since then....I see him getting more press coverage (on things like Asian stereotyping) but that is personality and not play driven.  He is a pretty good reserve guard and I don't see anyone overrating him much beyond that.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Who thinks he is great?  He was overhyped in NY but since then....I see him getting more press coverage (on things like Asian stereotyping) but that is personality and not play driven.  He is a pretty good reserve guard and I don't see anyone overrating him much beyond that.

I just think that the NBA profits (obviously) from having an Asian guy in the league. My only thing is please do it with someone that has talent like a Yao Ming, don't try and push another Yi Jianliang. Maybe it's ever game that I personally watch, but he gets used and abused by almost every pg that he tries to guard. He just doesn't have the speed or athletic ability to keep up in my opinion. 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I just think that the NBA profits (obviously) from having an Asian guy in the league. My only thing is please do it with someone that has talent like a Yao Ming, don't try and push another Yi Jianliang. Maybe it's ever game that I personally watch, but he gets used and abused by almost every pg that he tries to guard. He just doesn't have the speed or athletic ability to keep up in my opinion. 

For me, he is clearly in the wide gulf between those players.  He was viewed as a potential star in NY but no one views him that way any more.  He gets more press than your average reserve but I don't think many people really overrate him anymore - certainly not NBA GMs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

This explains a lot.

IF I told you that he was putting up 11.3 ppg,  4.5 apg, 2.3 rpg,  and shooting 43.3% from the field with 0.9 spg what would you say?